View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
New fishfinder n chartploter
dominguez1959
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/31/20 - 8:03 PM

Comments: 0

Looking to upgrade a new fishfinder chartploter on my 170 Montauk. Any advice as to which unit Got to tell you their so many that it’s hard to choose. Looking for something that’s going to give me maps n fishfinder. Thanks Anton

wrangler
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/01/21 - 3:22 AM

1979 Montauk.

I replaced my old unit with a Simrad Cruise 7. 7 means 7 inch screen. There are other sizes also.
It has charts, depth finder, fish finder, water temp and navigation plotting. It also has voltage reading, so you can check the power supply of the boat .
You can split screen left and right OR top and bottom.
The navigation plotting shows every dock and slip in a marina. The chart part show a length of river.

It also Can be seen in the sunlight, something my old one did not have. Easy to install and about $700. at West Marine.

Edited by wrangler on 01/01/21 - 3:23 AM

acassidy
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/01/21 - 10:46 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I have always used Garmin. I have a 7" echo chirp Garmin on my boat right now. It has the blue charts on it and then using my computer inputting all fishing spots and reefs that I use, i have never had an issue with my Garmins and have used them for 20 years. Easy to see in the sun, easy to use. And easy to start up and is works great. I always like the interface with Garmin. I don't really have to read a manual to make it do what I want and while on the water I really don't want to fight with the chart plotter or fish finder. With fish finder I fish shallow water and felt the Garmin gave great detail in shallows. It has dual beam width and down scan with are very clear. I can see pretty much everything. Even my lure.
You really need to look at what kind of water you are going to fish. Here in Texas Lowrance, Garmin and Hummingbird are Garmin for fishing and bottom detail. The other brands are more pricy and are better for deeper water and navigation.

Bottom line, all are good and all work well, they just cater to different styles of waters and types of fishing.
Archie

Walt Krafft
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/02/21 - 8:55 AM

The bigger the screen the easier it is to view, but the more it will cost. The way electronics link together you need to look at your whole system, trolling motor, chart plotter, radar. Staying with the same brand will make getting them all to talk nicely to each other easier.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 9, 2024 - 5:46 PM
Users Online
Welcome
jamiebog
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 17
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,068
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,346,874 unique visits