View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
NADA/ABOS
Mambo Minnow
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/10/06 - 1:09 PM

Comments: 7

I realize booklistings are lower than fair market value, particularly for a pristine condition freshwater boat, but how much lower than retail - 5%, 10% generally speaking?

I find it ridiculous to input an 84 Montauk into Blue Book with 90 motor and have it spit out it is only worth $3K. I can't imagine selling my Montauk for anything less than half the value of a new 170....about $12,500 for example.

Thoughts? I have seen a few postings over time on this issue, but never really saw a very analytical answer to date.

With the rising cost of new boats, you wonder when the market is going to bust like the overvalued stock market or the dot.com boom. Everyone seems to be waiting for the real estate market next to fall....can boats be far behind?

Jeff
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/11/06 - 1:39 PM

Comments: 34

Mambo,

most of these listing services derive the prices by dealers inputting what they are paying at auction and for trade-in's for the listed boats (atleast this is how the car prices work). With so few of these classic whalers ever being sold by these means I would think that would explain way the numbers are so far off. I can not think of any dealer that would take a classic whaler on trade in and give anything close to its fair market value.

All of these price guides are done with the best interest of the dealer in mind. I have gone to the NADA convention for the past 4 years for work and let me tell you it makes me sick seeing all the ways NADA helps to show the dealers to basically scam more money out of the customers pocket. Whether it is ways to make a small service issue into a POSSIBLE MAJOR issue for a vehicles owner to helping dealers through monopolizing used vehicle prices for the benefit of the dealer body (this is way these guides are published). It is frustrating. Of course the seminars are never titled like the above however, you can easily read between the lines.

Do it think there is a classic whaler bubble like realestate? No probably not. As for other new boats...I think there might be one.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 5:52 PM
Users Online
Welcome
gdean
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,090
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.13 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,448,689 unique visits