View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Farewell to my 1967 Nauset Whaler.
Jkunze
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/04/20 - 7:54 AM

Comments: 2

Farewell to my Whaler. I'm delayed in posting this by a few months but I am no longer the owner of my 1967 Nauset 16 custom. She has gone to another loving owner & I'm very proud of having g had her for 5 years'
I was late in opening her this year due to what we all went through this spring & summer. During the shutdown the local ramps weren't even open until June. I uncovered her on June 1st & proceeded to topcoat the Mahogany console with captain Z's for a week. On June 11th my wife & I brought her to a small nearby ramp at Eaton's Neck here on Long Island. While putting her in the water i was being watched by an older gentleman who seemed fascinated by the boat. Once in he called out to me & asked me if she was for sale. I never even considered it before but he offered me a lot for her.
I have worked so hard on her over the years & I must be honest. I did not ever want to part with her, but I also did not want to continue to see her age any more. This man had been searching for this boat because he loved this model so much, so many do. His wife is gone & he lives still in the beautiful home they raised the family in. Dennis just wants to fish with his buddy & grand kids in what he always considered a perfect boat to have. It is too.
Own your Whalers, Keep them whole & fix them up as needed, then pass them on to more good use & love. Send them off in better shape to live more life. They will never stop being a whaler. Tell me of another boat that you see so many fifty year old instances of? I see as many blue interiors out on the water as I do later models.
She was about to turn fifty when I got her & needed TLC, I needed a project. I replaced & or upgraded nearly everything, repaired every screw fastening to the hull, re-powered her & used her very well with my family. We loved her. It was like having a restored vintage cars with the looks & comments she always received. The only thing I never worried about restoring was the hull itself. She has a dry hull having been on a trailer for many years, though obviously her age shows due to spider cracks. I'd heard that the hulls having been hand laid are made with a thick gel coat & it's only cosmetic. I decided to leave her age showing, but make her strong & fast. We laughed & called her a rat rod.
We brought her all over Long Islands North & south shores & up to Lake George for an amazing week at a lakeside cabin. We sold her to someone who beamed with pride over his new beautiful boat. She is perfect now, having moved on. Sorry I can't figure out how to include a picture here, she photographed so well. Thanks Dennis!

Edited by Jkunze on 09/04/20 - 7:57 AM

guitarfish
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/20 - 10:26 AM

Comments: 2

I'm going down the same road. I'm refurbing my Menemsha. I hope to get a decade of use before finally passing it on.

1971 Menemsha 16 and 1978 15' Custom

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 29, 2024 - 3:43 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Liberty1976
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,029
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,144,193 unique visits