View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Black oak LED/bracket mounting location
deajam89
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/07/20 - 9:51 AM

Comments: 0

Hello all,

I want to share my set up for LED accent lighting illuminating the interior bow area of my Montauk 17.

After searching the web for a highest quality LED products I could find, I decided to purchase Black Oak brand marine accent lights which seam to have the highest build quality while also fitting into the perimeters i desired for the mounting locations.

The first mounting location is on the front of the console between the two rod holders under the front hoop of the console rail. This location allows for the LED light to be permanently mounted between the seat cushions (when installed) and high enough to cast the light on the interior of the bow when the cooler is in place. Another benefit is the ability to mount the bracket to the underside of the rod holder support beam and the ease of running the wiring between the windshield and the console.

The second mounting location is on the rear of the motor searing assembly illuminating the stern interior. This mounting location utilizes (2) unused threaded holes in the steering assembly (1/4-28 threads) which a bracket is affixed. PTTF plastic shim material will be used to isolated the dissimilar material to reduce galvanic corrosion. All the wiring for the light will be running along all the outboard control cables so it will be concealed. I will update the post when this installation is complete. I am currently waiting on 1/4-28 stainless socket cap screws.

The whole concept of the mounting locations and bracket design is to utilize existing penetrations, threaded holes and conceal all fastening of the brackets to the boat. All hardware is type 316 stainless steel. All brackets are custom fabricated from 6061 extruded aluminum angle and channel with a 2 coat fluoropolymer finish to match the surrounding assemblies.

Let me know what you guys think.

Black Oak LED - https://www.blackoakled.com/collectio...cent-light

deajam89 attached the following image:

[102.68Kb]

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/07/20 - 10:15 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Do you have any photos at night with the lights on?

I am envisioning the foward led light on the console rail will blind boaters coming toward you and obscure the bow navigation light from being seen.

Most boats seen traveling at night do not have any lights shining forward.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

deajam89
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/07/20 - 10:33 AM

Comments: 0

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to use it at night. Visible light from outside of the boat was one of the concerns when selecting the location and spread of the light. I failed to mention that the bracket has a "hood" which deflects the spread of the beam downward onto the interior of the bow. When looking at the light straight on from the front of the boat the light cannot be seen, only the top of the "hood". If it turns out that it is a hazard to other boaters, i will modify the length and pitch of the "hood" as needed.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 20, 2024 - 11:01 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mckee29464
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,108
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,537,283 unique visits