View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
2008 Dauntless 200 Battery Connection DTS Power Cable
bleeneste
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/20 - 6:13 AM

Comments: 0

I am seeking out some assistance here and thank you in advance for suggestions. Sorry for the long thread. My 2008 Dauntless 200 with Mercury Verado 200, 2 batteries and Perko switch is bugger for battery connection. This is my second year with this Whaler and last year while I thought things were fine they may not have been.

From my research the DTS power cable should be on the negative of the "cranking battery". Which one is that? The batteries are not port and starboard as suggested in whaler documentation and my friend with the same boat but model year 2010 is same as mine, fore/aft (in the starboard locker).

After a bunch of trial and error I ended up with DTS, Power cable 101 and negative 111 on the fore battery. The after battery has the negative jumper and power 102. Everything seems to work but....

In a different configuration the horn worked. Strange, right? Last season I just figured the horn was inoperable and the boat ran great so I ignored it.

Now that I know the horn works feel like something is just not right.

Edited by Phil T on 05/05/20 - 6:30 AM

acassidy
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/24/20 - 9:04 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

The batteries negative post should be connected to each other with a big battery cable jumper that connects the grounds together from the factory and all boats grounds should be all connected together so probably didn't matter which battery you connected the negative to.

The starting battery is the battery that is connected to the battery switch post when you have it selected to the motor battery on the switch. for example if you select battery 1 to start the motor then that is the staring battery. Usually battery switches are setup, for motor, house and both. SO battery 1 could be motor, battery 2 could be house and both is of course both. The outboard is only connected to one side of the battery switch.

To find out which is which you could disconnect one battery positive on the batter and then flip the switch to one and test power and then to two and test power. That will show you which battery selection is the battery that is still connected.

Actually you probably should have connected the positive DTS to the battery switch itself on the back next to the outboards big positive cable so when you select it on the switch they are both on and you can turn off the outboards electrical completely.
sorry if this is confuding
Archie

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 20, 2024 - 12:54 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Boston320outrage
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,109
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.13 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,538,356 unique visits