View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Conquest 23 Thru-hull transducer
MakoMark
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/20 - 1:20 AM

Comments: 0

Hi All,
Mark here from Shellharbour NSW Australia,
recently i bought a 1999 Boston Whaler Conquest 23 and i love it. It's the best boat I'ver ever owned and I've had a few,any way.

The question is, I want to put a Airmar 2kw through-hull transducer in ,and obviously i want to get it as deep down into the hull / V as possible.

Ive asked BW for a drawing and they have provided one but are reluctant to provide to much more info.

Have any you guys done this ?
Where did you put it ?
How does it read at speed ?
Were there any issures with hull after drilling a 90mm hole ( "3.54 inch )?
Do you guys have any pictures

Thanks heaps
Mark

(edit-fixed model name, subject )

Edited by Phil T on 04/29/20 - 6:41 AM

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/20 - 7:00 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

G'day Mark.

Having been a whaler owner for over 10 years, and a "elder" on several boating forums, here is my comment.

Whaler installed a "fairing block", a thick flat pad area designed for the installation of a hull mounted transducer in some smaller cabin models. The fiberglass is ~3 inches thick. Did Whaler send you a drawing showing where the fairing block is located on your boat?

To install the transducer, you need to drill a really large hole all the way through the fairing block. You need to seal the cutout hole very very well from water. It is hard to access to do the install. Owners have commented how it is a pain in the backside to do.

Owners have also reported
- less that great results after install.
- lower boat performance.

Many owners remarked that it is easier and much cheaper to install a transom mounted transducer. Less effort, less damage to the boat and easy to upgrade when the next generation of sounders is released.

If, after reading this, you still want to do it, post here and I will gather the info you are looking for.

Regards.
P.S. My sis is an expat in Sydney and my mate has a 210 Montauk out of the Gold Coast.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

MakoMark
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/20 - 3:34 PM

Hi Phill
Thanks heaps for your reply,
Yes BW did send me a diagram but it was very vague and only showed part of the area and in the picture it showed it up high in the v , which won’t work
I’ve attached it .
Thanks for you’re comments on users performance, but I would still like to fully explore this option.
I have a tm260 transom mount tranny at present and it’s ok , but I’m changing to a chirp modle simrad soon and was very keen on through hills before .
It would be great Phill if you do some more investigating for me
Really appreciate anyone’s thoughts .

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/20 - 5:20 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Mark -

Email me the diagram (it is too large to attach) by clicking on my name above my photo and then click on my email address. I will resize and add to this thread.

I don't suppose Queensland Marine Centre, the only Whaler dealer down under, was any help with this? I know... they are 1,000 KM south. :-(

If you want to reach out:

Queensland Marine Centre
Unit 10, 71 Shipper Drive
Coomera Queensland 4209
Australia
61 7 5519 9035
http://qmc.com.au/boston-whaler/on-whaler/

What is the exact model of transducer you want to install?

I will reach out for more info.

Edited by Phil T on 04/29/20 - 5:34 PM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

gchuba
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/20 - 6:13 PM

I commercial salmon fish.......transom mounted transducers work just fine. For ocean fishing wide scan hoopla. More of a " products catch more fishermen that fishermen catch fish". Transducer mount on transom just fine BUT angle the ducer needs to mount under the boat and not parallel to the water. I would not trust a thru hull with the thin gel coat (Phil did mention specific "spots" from Whaler). You need to site aim the transom mounted transducer so your angle of vision from the bottom of the transducer clips the front bow.

MakoMark
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/20 - 3:09 AM

Thanks Phill,
i sent email.the exact will be any of the airman 2 kw through hulls,they all have the same hole dieamtere of 90mm.

its a usual thing over here to run 1 or 2 thru hulls ,1 being a 1 Kw and the app side being a 2kw.

the later is for deep dropping bottom fishing in 400 fats ,the first one 1kw is for searching for bait fish in top 50 fathoms whilst marlin fishing .

gchuba,
thanks for you're comments also ,as i have written thru hull is the way i want to go.
i have a transom mount now and its good ,but through hull is a better application for me,and i will only do that once I'm sure the ingrate of boat won't be jeopardise,but over here in aus its very common.
i recently did it in my smaller 4.9 metre carabeen,but that hull is glass all the way through.

i sincerely appreciate the feedback from both of you guys,thanks heaps .

i look forward to seeing more info.

Cheers Mark.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 20, 2024 - 2:09 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Boston320outrage
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,109
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,541,965 unique visits