View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Analog Tach from Smartcraft Harness
WhalerAZ
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/20 - 8:56 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Greets,

Hacking my way through the kudzu of wiring on the Tommy D, I've finally gotten to the point where I'd like to add something. 1980 15 Sport side console powered with a 2016 Mercury 60 Command Thrust, and has this fine connector at the helm (attached). Would love to add a tach, and perhaps some other basic engine gauges.

- use two (or more) of the single terminal wires in the pigtail
- use a connector off the 14 pin purple
- do the big spend and get a Smartcraft display (too much $$$)
- go wireless and view on a tablet (spend all day on the computer, would rather not be reminded on the water).

What would your collective experiences recommend?

[img]../../images/ppimages/46315/SmartCraft (small).gif[/img]

biggiefl
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/20 - 9:06 AM

Comments: 4

A tach should be simple enough. Most modern engines just plug & play. What does Mercury recommend?

24 Whalers so far....

WhalerAZ
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/20 - 9:51 AM
Personal Page

biggiefl wrote:
A tach should be simple enough. Most modern engines just plug & play. What does Mercury recommend?

Well, Mercury recommends I plunk $250 for an SC 1000 display and an additional sum for the harness from helm to gauge. Was pretty sure that there is a way to use legacy analog gauges given the number of options I seem to have; just trying to figure out the best approach.

I'm way behind you on the boat count, but this is the desert...

1980 Sport 15', 2016 Mercury 60 CT

biggiefl
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/20 - 10:53 AM

Comments: 4

I would be hesitant to hack into the harness as they are not cheap. Have you tried E-Bay? A nice tach is $100+ so $250 is not bad(compared to Yamaha) I have not had great luck with tachs on 2cyl engines. I also never had much luck with aftermarket gauges except on Mercs. I always find an OEM tach on E-bay or a marine surplus store as Teleflex etc always seem to be incorrect. They do make small tachs that clip onto a plug wire for smaller engines. Not sure how they work either but it wold be attached to the engine so you have to either turn back to look or possible extend the wiring to reach the dash. Again, these all might interfere with accuracy. If a tach is not accurate, what good is it?

24 Whalers so far....

WhalerAZ
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/11/20 - 5:55 AM
Personal Page

biggiefl wrote:
I would be hesitant to hack into the harness as they are not cheap. Have you tried E-Bay? A nice tach is $100+ so $250 is not bad(compared to Yamaha) I have not had great luck with tachs on 2cyl engines. I also never had much luck with aftermarket gauges except on Mercs. I always find an OEM tach on E-bay or a marine surplus store as Teleflex etc always seem to be incorrect. They do make small tachs that clip onto a plug wire for smaller engines. Not sure how they work either but it wold be attached to the engine so you have to either turn back to look or possible extend the wiring to reach the dash. Again, these all might interfere with accuracy. If a tach is not accurate, what good is it?

Wise advice about not hacking (ie cutting or splicing) into the harness itself. There are more than enough terminals there to make a simple tach connection, I'm sure - it is just a matter of someone describing how they did it and what was required.

Used or NOS Mercury analog tachs are cheap and easy enough to find from other refits. And agreed on the accuracy - how could you dial in the correct prop with bogus rev numbers?

Much thanks!

Edited by WhalerAZ on 02/21/20 - 1:30 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 20, 2024 - 11:57 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Boston320outrage
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,109
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,537,819 unique visits