View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
2019 ACBS Boat Show- Sandpoint ID
virgilb
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/19 - 8:40 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

My grandfather was a member of the Antique and Classic Boat Society (ACBS) for most of my life. Lymans and Chris Crafts were his joy, and he loved to show his 1954 R-19 Chris and his 1964 Lyman Sleeper in the local boat show in Sandpoint, Idaho. Although the ACBS calls the show the “Antique and Classic Boat Show,” most people call it the “Wooden Boat Show” because almost every boat in that show for the past decade has been wood. Although my grandfather loved wood boats, he also loved Boston Whalers, and they have been the backbone of our boating life since he purchased his first 13 Sport in 1969. Whalers were modern utilitarian boats but not the show-worthy flash of all that varnished mahogany and chrome of the old Chris Crafts. As my grandfather is no longer with us, my parents have encouraged me to join the ACBS to continue the tradition. I wanted to bring a boat to the 2019 Sandpoint show, and because my Whaler is over 35 years old now (1983 Outrage 18), I decided that it was time that the local ACBS be introduced to the next generation of antique and classic boat enthusiasts. I was the only fiberglass boat in the show, and I have to say I was met with a variety of reactions: 1-“What is that thing doing here?” 2- “I’ve never heard of Boston Whaler.” 3- “Oh my god I love this boat. I had a 13 footer growing up, and I did everything in that boat.“ The third reaction, although fewer in number, was what got me through the day. I chose to have my boat judged but did not have high expectations as I felt I had a somewhat cool reception from the other skippers in the show. Much to my surprise, my Outrage received two awards that night: Best Late Classic and Best Outboard. Well, I was the only late classic, so I was not surprised about that, but there were a number of outboards. What I was more surprised about was the encouraging remarks made by the judges. They were excited to have me in the show and hoped I would continue to be involved. They looked forward to the next generation getting involved and bringing their boats to the show. I think the Outrage 18 was the perfect boat to bring to the show. My boat has both wood and fiberglass, and I feel it honors the wood of my grandfather’s boats but also represents my generation of life on the lake in our fiberglass boats. Overall, it was a great experience, and I was proud to represent Boson Whaler and my generation at the 2019 ACBS Sandpoint Boat Show.
I have a few photos with the link

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgJJiFzDRGGwgeZJ5...w?e=FZrxjV

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/19 - 11:30 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Outstanding Virgil.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful Classic.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 6:39 AM
Users Online
Welcome
TDND2013
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 19
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,049
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.13 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,268,148 unique visits