View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Stuck between 2 Dealers - who provides service?
rroman001
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/18 - 4:09 PM

Comments: 0

I am shopping a Whaler between 2 Whaler Dealers in New Jersey - 1 in Manasquan and the other Manahawkin. The boat will be kept in Highlands, NJ once purchased. My question is if I purchase it from dealer further away (58 miles) vs the one closest (29 miles), will either dealer service me if I have warranty issues and/or need winter maintenance? The better deal is coming from dealer farther south of me, but prefer to have dealer 29 miles away provide me the service. Should I even be worrying about this?

guitarfish
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/18 - 4:25 PM

Comments: 2

I would not worry, other than who is saving me money. Then after you have the boat, consider who has a better service reputation.

Good luck.

1971 Menemsha 16 and 1978 15' Custom

rroman001
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/07/18 - 3:03 PM

Thanks. i agree with that.

EJO
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/18 - 8:30 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

and warranty is based on manufacturer so dealer with the best service should be your choice but both must service a warranty problem.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

rroman001
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/18 - 12:37 PM

So I have negotiated a price between 2 dealers. The dealer 45 min away from me is 10K higher than the dealer 1.25 hours away. The dealer further away stated they would continue to support me in the warranty period for 1 year. After that, its not clear, and I believe I would would have to find a dealer for help. I had a convo with BOston Whaler hqtrs, and they stated I really should buy from the dealler closest to me. They stated the dealer close to me can not refuse to servcie me, however, they may also not give me "priority" service sinve I did not buy from them. They stated dealers give their customers who purcuase from them preferential treatment. IT is what it is. Any reaction to this? I am likely going to buy from the dealer who is 10K cheaper. This is a 285 conquest. My local Marina is an authozied Mercury dealer and whom I would use for service of the engines. Any reaction to this? I am a lttle bumbed that the dealer further away gave a better deal, than the one closest to me.

gchuba
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/18 - 3:15 PM

10k is not chump change. You also know that either dealer will follow warranty guidelines. Personally I dislike bid shoppers who would play one dealer against the next. Not fair to the fellow who sharpened his pencil and gave you the best price he could only to lose the sale to some one else who originally was the high bid. I say travel the extra hour plus. Chances are, if the closer dealer matches the low price.....they'll figure a way to make it back later.

Phil T
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/18 - 3:38 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

If you have warranty service, all dealers are required to do the work.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Acseatsri
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/13/18 - 7:13 AM

How many times do you think you'll need service in the warranty period? Even if it's 10 times (highly unlikely!) that's still $1000/hr for the extra drive time both ways. There's only one answer, and it's a no-brainer.

butchdavis
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11/13/18 - 7:24 AM

It is very doubtful a mew Boston Whaler will require $10K worth of warranty work. An engine problem is another matter but still not very likely. Any Mercury Marine dealer is obliged to provide warranty service.

I would save $10K.

As to fairness, I believe dealers know that any smart consumer will shop around for the best deal and their offer should be made based on that contingency.

When shopping for my last boat I found a MUCH better deal out of town. I offered my local dealer the opportunity to meet that price because I prefer to spend my money locally. They opted not to meet the price so I made deposit with the other dealer. When MarineMax corporate learned what happened they called me and said they would meet the price. By then I was committed to the other dealer and bought from them. I believe the local sales manager learned something from this.

Butch

gchuba
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/13/18 - 8:10 AM

I pay my local marine electronics supplier, long time lumber supplier, plumbing supplier, , etc...... Whatever the bill comes to to support local. I would not consider asking them to match a Home Depot or internet price. That being said, if I was purchasing a boat through dealers within 30 minutes of each other, I repeat, I would go with the best price. As a contractor I ask potential clients NOT to give me another contractors price. In fact, if I walk up to look at something and the first thing from the owner is "....so and so will do this for xyz....". AAt times I immediately say say "....use them....". One thing to be an informed and frugal shopper.....another all together playing businesses against each other. There is a grey area but in this case I vote for honoring the lower bid.

EJO
#11 Print Post
Posted on 11/14/18 - 4:38 AM
Personal Page

Acseatsri wrote:
How many times do you think you'll need service in the warranty period? Even if it's 10 times (highly unlikely!) that's still $1000/hr for the extra drive time both ways. There's only one answer, and it's a no-brainer.

There above is your answer. No matter if it $1K or $10K money talks and as to warranties they are backed by the manufacturers. The manufacturers use their network of dealers and therefore no matter if you are in Michigan, California, or Florida if something on the boat or motor needs warranty any dealer locally where you are is obliged to look at and/or fix it.
Now priority might come into play but go with the best price.
If you find something that needs attention travel the extra 1 hour (round-trip) for the onece or twice that happens in the first season or 2.
After that what difference does it make and the $10K use save can be used for slip/storage fees and playing around on your new Boston Whaler. Buy where you can save big bucks.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

rroman001
#12 Print Post
Posted on 11/17/18 - 1:54 AM

Just an update - The dealer closest to me quickly came back with a new quote in-line with the other quote. (It included a Fall Incentive to order by 12/1 and a Winter Promo yet to be announced although will be coming in addition to the upgrrade warranty on the mercs from std to 5 year gold protection). If ordered this week, delivery date is between early and late March. Now I am just deciding between the Axiom XL and Axiom Pro Multi-function Display. Ive selected the XL as I do not have a need for Knobs and do not intend to have the 3D Sonar. Its all glass and touchscreen. Both seem similar/good from the reviews and Youtube videos Ive seen.

Phil T
#13 Print Post
Posted on 11/17/18 - 6:40 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

R -

It is important to note that electronics, unless factory installed, do not have to be ordered at the time of purchase.

They can also be installed after purchase by any installer you select.

Edited by Phil T on 11/17/18 - 6:42 AM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

gchuba
#14 Print Post
Posted on 11/17/18 - 7:23 AM

Well, you know my feelings on purchase.....said and done. Anyway, I have the 10" Axiom paired with a Raymarine E7. Even though my E7 is only 4 years old it has to function independent of the Axiom because its "language" is too slow. I am pleased with the unit but if I did it over again I would go with the Axiom Pro. I like knobs (your case does mot matter) but the rear of the "Pro" has multiple plug in's. More than the standard Axiom. Any additions later down the road much simpler. As far as the touch screen (mind you I have heavy calloused hands) it is finicky. Just a light touch needed and brushing the screen wrong puts you in into a function you may not want. I was out on a small craft warning and really preferred the knobs of my E7.

rroman001
#15 Print Post
Posted on 12/02/18 - 3:56 AM

So I signed the contract on the 2019 Conquest 285. Went with the dealer closest to me. Best I can tell - the price was within $1,500 of eachother withmyself paying the higher price to be near my servicing dealer. One observation - 1 dealer seemed to have everything automated, with print outs of boat build, price detailed for each option indivisuall in terms of list, and sale price, building up to the total sale. My dealer used white/yellow carbon, hand written, option by option. THere was no itemized break out of each option list vs buy price. So when I added the autopilot to the build at the end, she had to rewite the entire agreement, add 15 lines of options and info. My invoice showed the total price, tax, and deposit. Bottom number is what matter i get it, just surprising from a "buyer experience" perspective.

gchuba
#16 Print Post
Posted on 12/02/18 - 2:25 PM

Great addition of auto pilot.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 7:10 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,511,265 unique visits