View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Importing 1986 Classic 17’ Montauk From Canada
Gundalow
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/18 - 6:00 AM

Comments: 0

Just purchased a 1986 17’ Montauk, with 1986 90 hp 2 Stroke Yamaha, from Canada. Prior to purchase I researched internet sites regarding any importation issues at US border. Came across various federal forms from EPA and Customs, plus comments from others who were frustrated with conflicting information from various Customs personnel. Thus I contacted the Port of Entry that I would be utilizing. On the telephone menu, I selected “Cargo” and had a brief conversation with the Customs employee, explaining my intention to purchase a 17’ pleasure craft in New Brunswick and import it into US. He simply stated that once I purchased it in New Brunswick, it becomes my “personal property” and I just trailer it into US. After purchasing the boat I stopped at the Port of Entry and was asked by the Customs officer the purpose of my trip to Canada. I told him that I had just purchased the boat and trailer. He wished me well and waived me through. (The seller let me use his New Brunswick trailer license plate to get back to NH. Upon arrival at my residence I mailed back the license plate, a process that took longer than my entry into the US with the boat, as I had to fill out a Customs Declaration form since I was mailing a “metal item” out of the US.)

1986 Classic Montauk, 1986 Yamaha 90 2 Stroke

JRP
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/18 - 2:42 PM

Comments: 2

Thanks for relating your experience. Sounds simple enough.

A few years back (before I purchased the Outrage 19), I seriously considered purchasing an Outrage 17 from WC member Saumon, who is in Quebec. He had a really nice boat - - he clearly took great pride in maintaining and improving it, and was a great guy to deal with - - so it was very tempting.

Besides the distance (about 700 miles each way), and time of year (late winter up there), I worried about the complication of bringing the boat across the border. Preliminary inquiries by both Saumon and me, indicated there would be some extra paperwork and time at the border crossing. In the end, all things considered, I decided to pass.

So your experience is interesting to me, and not what I expectd to read. Welcome to Whaler Central and enjoy your new boat!

19 Outrage II (1992)

Flounder
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/18 - 8:44 PM
Personal Page

JRP wrote:

A few years back (before I purchased the Outrage 19), I seriously considered purchasing an Outrage 17 from WC member Saumon, who is in Quebec. He had a really nice boat - - he clearly took great pride in maintaining and improving it, and was a great guy to deal with - - so it was very tempting.

Besides the distance (about 700 miles each way), and time of year (late winter up there), I worried about the complication of bringing the boat across the border. Preliminary inquiries by both Saumon and me, indicated there would be some extra paperwork and time at the border crossing.

Me too! Steve's OR17 was a cream puff, I lusted over it but the drive for me was almost 1700 miles and I didn't have a driver or could I have explained it to my wife that I want a boat that far away.

Gundalow
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/18 - 1:34 PM

My thoughts on sharing my experience of purchasing the 1986 Montauk is that for whatever reason ( perhaps NAFTA) my experience was very simple, other than the 700 miles round trip- left 4am and returned home at 5pm. However, I searched a number of advertisements for a classic Montauk, and this particular boat appeared to be in the best condition. When entering Canada I had to declare that I had a bank check for the agreed upon sale price. In the event the Montauk was not as advertised, I would return and redeposit the check in my bank account. It is important to note that the US dollar is very strong in Canada right now- roughly 76 cents (US) equals $1 Canadian, so many of you may wish to consider Canada when searching for a boat.

1986 Classic Montauk, 1986 Yamaha 90 2 Stroke

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 12:01 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Nbish65
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,052
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,271,887 unique visits