View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Tongue Weight?
Petrichor
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/13/18 - 12:29 PM

Comments: 0

How does one calculate the trailer tongue weight?

This is a 2003 Outrage 270 on a tri axle trailer. Twin 150 Merc engines.

I was able to find the dry hull weight ~5100lbs with no engines, but trying to figure out if I can trailer this bad boy or if I need to upgrade my springs in the truck.

Thanks

JRP
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/13/18 - 2:22 PM

Comments: 2

Petrichor wrote:
How does one calculate the trailer tongue weight?

This is a 2003 Outrage 270 on a tri axle trailer. Twin 150 Merc engines.

I was able to find the dry hull weight ~5100lbs with no engines, but trying to figure out if I can trailer this bad boy or if I need to upgrade my springs in the truck.

Thanks

Tongue weight is not a published spec, because it varies by trailer configuration.

Many vehicle owner's manuals will describe a method for estimating tongue weight, by measuring the difference in receiver height before and after hitching up to the trailer, then comparing that measurement to a table in the manual.

More precise methods involve using scales. You can probbaly see some suggestions on youtube.

A 5100 lbs dry weight hull will probably weigh somewhere in the 9K+ lbs range with the trailer. On a tri-axle trailer I would expect you'd have between 500-600 lbs of tongue weight?? You will need a beefy tow vehicle for this boat.

Edited by JRP on 03/13/18 - 2:24 PM
19 Outrage II (1992)

jgortva
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/18 - 8:23 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

JRP is correct with his 9000 LB estimate for a fully loaded boat, motor, and trailer for that boat. When you say you want to know if your truck can pull the boat as is, that depends. Almost any truck can be abused on short trips to the launch ramp and tow more than they are rated for. It is the long distance trips over up and down terrain that will challenge the brakes and a cooling system that are not meant to tow such weight let alone the suspension. If you want to successfully trailer that boat no matter what the distance, up and down grades, and weather conditions, then you will need a 2500 series truck. If you are looking to tow a couple of times a season to put the boat in at the local ramp, then you might get away with a smaller truck.

Jim G.

gchuba
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/18 - 8:40 AM

Comments: 0

Be careful with tri axle trailers. When you turn they prefer to track straight. Axles work against each on a turn. I would say 3/4 ton the minimum truck for towing. Tongue weight is how the load is distributed. At a minimum 2 to 3 hundred lbs. on tongue so if you hit a bump your rear axle does not pick up. You also do not want too much tongue weight where you front end raises and you lose road feel/steering. Also remember it is not only towing but stopping. 9000lb on three axles quite a push. Kinda need to attach to the hitch and see what you have. You may have to reconfigure where the boat sits a little.

Alan Gracewski
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/18 - 11:12 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Petrichor, towing involves many aspects of tow vehicle, hitch, and trailer so it is difficult to cover all the aspects in short posts. One of the best towing guides I have seen is sponsored by FORD and edited by BOATING Magazine. You can access a copy of it on line by searching for the 2017 Guide to Towing on the internet.
Here is the direct link to the PDF copy: https://ford.boatingmag.com/sites/for...ok_150.pdf

Of course, you can ignore all the FORD advertising if you like, but the information covers all aspects of towing a boat and I highly recommend reading it.

On page 20 of the booklet, it references a tongue weight of 6% to 10% of the total towed weight. The best way to determine your rig weight and tongue weight is to take it to a certified scale. (see What does it weigh? box on page 10 of the guide).

Al

Finnegan
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/15/18 - 10:23 AM

Comments: 16

As many know, I have towed my 1989 Outrage 25 over 200,000 miles since the boat was new with Cadillac Fleetwood Broughams factory equipped with a 7000# tow package. I estimate the total rig weight a 6000#

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfZqA5RAd...stonwhaler

(click arrow on photo for more pictures and video)

The keys to doing this are two additional items. First, replacement HD "Cargo Springs" on the car. Second is a weight distributing hitch using "spring bars", readily available at any tow shop. As you can see in the photo, in spite of the 600lb tongue load, the car rides level. The spring bar hitch re-distributes the excess tongue load to both the front wheels of the car and the trailer wheels.

I would look at your owners manual on the truck, and see what they say. I'll bet for a load like you are talking about, 8K to 9K lbs, they will also be recommending a load distributing hitch. On these hitches, the recommend tongue load is actually higher, about 10%, or in your case 800-900LB, which the hitch then distributes. This keeps the boat from fishtailing down the road. A friend has a 2500 Suburban towing a 25 Revenge Whaler Drive with twin 200 Mercs (about a 7000# rig), and even there Chevy recommends a weight distributing hitch.

Edited by Finnegan on 03/15/18 - 10:28 AM

JRP
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03/17/18 - 5:00 AM

Comments: 2

Finnegan wrote:
As many know, I have towed my 1989 Outrage 25 over 200,000 miles since the boat was new with Cadillac Fleetwood Broughams factory equipped with a 7000# tow package. I estimate the total rig weight a 6000#

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfZqA5RAd...stonwhaler

(click arrow on photo for more pictures and video)

The keys to doing this are two additional items. First, replacement HD "Cargo Springs" on the car. Second is a weight distributing hitch using "spring bars", readily available at any tow shop. As you can see in the photo, in spite of the 600lb tongue load, the car rides level. The spring bar hitch re-distributes the excess tongue load to both the front wheels of the car and the trailer wheels.

I would look at your owners manual on the truck, and see what they say. I'll bet for a load like you are talking about, 8K to 9K lbs, they will also be recommending a load distributing hitch. On these hitches, the recommend tongue load is actually higher, about 10%, or in your case 800-900LB, which the hitch then distributes. This keeps the boat from fishtailing down the road. A friend has a 2500 Suburban towing a 25 Revenge Whaler Drive with twin 200 Mercs (about a 7000# rig), and even there Chevy recommends a weight distributing hitch.

Finnegan,

Every time I study your tow rig it gives me a chuckle.

You essentially have a Suburban stealthily wrapped in a Cadillac body!! It's like a secret weapon.

Respect the Brougham!

Edited by JRP on 03/17/18 - 5:03 AM
19 Outrage II (1992)

Finnegan
#8 Print Post
Posted on 03/17/18 - 9:12 AM

Comments: 16

JRP - that is exactly what the Cadillac Service Technician told me years ago when I bought the cars. He said they are basically "Suburbans in disguise" and all of the engine, transmission and drive train components are from the truck division. The only mandatory requirements to make it all work together are towing ONLY in 3rd gear, a fuel consumer, and use of a weight distributing hitch for something as large as the Outrage 25. The trailer has 4 wheel disc brakes. For all of the smaller boats, including the 21 Ribside, a total load of less than 4000#, a regular 2" ball standard hitch is all that's needed and you don't even know the boat's behind you. these cars tow extremely well, and in great highway comfort, even with the 25.

I basically only use these big cars for towing. The gold 1996 now has over 120,000 towing miles on it. Still going strong, and everywhere I go with it, someone seems to want to buy it.
Very few were actually ordered from the factory with the 7000# tow package as mine was. They are now impossible to find used. A typical comment I get at a gas station or launching ramp is "You don't really tow that boat with THAT car do you?" or "I can't believe that cars pulls that big boat out of the ramp - my pickup would just sit and spin the tires"

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 8, 2024 - 3:15 AM
Users Online
Welcome
jshllen1980
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,059
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,314,910 unique visits