View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1995 Dauntless 15 fuel tank replacement
RobertJ
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/03/18 - 7:21 AM

Comments: 0

Some years back I replaced the original Pate tank that my boat was fitted with when new with a 12 gallon Moeller. I never was pleased with the loss of the extra 3 gallon capacity that the original tank afforded as it limited the running range. After some careful research I ended up installing a 22 gallon white Moeller topside non/EPA rated fuel tank. After some minor trimming of the upper radius opening with a burring tool and removing the protruding fasteners of the forward seat base bracket and replacing with low profile fasteners to prevent intrusion into the tank, the fit was spot on. Couldn't be more pleased. This will allow me to now travel further south in search of redfish without the need of transporting an additional fuel tank. I also prefer the white tank as it has a more clean and custom appearance. Oddly this tank is advertised as a direct fit for the 17 Montauk yet many complain that their boats original fuel line location interferes with a drop in fit without modification to either the height of the tank off the deck or relocating the original fuel line. Fortunately my Dauntless 15 boats factory fuel line exited the deck at the starboard forward corner of the seat base and did not interfere with the tank install. Moreover ,there is no more need to unsnap the seat cushion for refueling.

[Edited to upload photo and remove link to outside website]

RobertJ attached the following image:

[97.82Kb]
Edited by Phil T on 02/03/18 - 9:34 AM
1995 Dauntless 15 - 1995 Evinrude 70

guitarfish
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/05/18 - 12:32 PM

Comments: 2

That does look clean Robert.

Raider19
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/06/18 - 7:30 PM

Nice install Robert.
No fan of nylon, I'd probably look for an alum or SS mechanical strap/buckle anchored to seat body for tank security, beside that it looks pro.

RobertJ
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/06/18 - 8:05 PM

Raider19 wrote:
Nice install Robert.
No fan of nylon, I'd probably look for an alum or SS mechanical strap/buckle anchored to seat body for tank security, beside that it looks pro.

Yea, I actually considered several options but did this sort of quick and dirty. But I do hear what you're saying. It is a touch tacky. What I do like about this particular method is that it is not intrusive in any way to the tank itself and we did use stainless D-rings stitched into the strap. I'm not a fan of drilling holes unless absolutely necessary. After a few outings thus far the strap with D-rings has held tight and firm in preventing any aft movement of the tank while underway. Vertical and side to side movement is virtually non existent due to the somewhat fortunate fit of the tank height/width and seat base opening. I've seen the same tank install on another whaler I saw online using deck hold down brackets that tongued into the lower tank recesses but to me it seemed like over time they would chafe into the tank material. Not to mention the holes that were necessary to drill to install. Anyway , I truly appreciate you piping in.

Edited by RobertJ on 02/06/18 - 8:25 PM
1995 Dauntless 15 - 1995 Evinrude 70

Raider19
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/06/18 - 9:44 PM

Rebuilding a 1990 Rigid Raider with chicken egg eyeballs at potential cost, I'm rapidly warming up to "quick and dirty". Dollar Store purchases to defer maintenance into next tax quarter, all good. Your anchorage looks plenty perfect for at least a years' enjoyment. Very cool how well the Mueller slotted in there, again, very nice work.

rocketman357
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/18 - 12:49 PM

Robert
So how are you liking that tank install by now. Does it stick out the back too far and get is the way is my concern? i like the ability to fill without lifting the seat cushion all the time to check the gauge.

CorpSpace
#7 Print Post
Posted on 12/12/18 - 10:04 AM

Robert, So glad you posted your picture/experience ... I bought the same tank and am in the process of installing on 1997 Dauntless 15. Similar back story where we had the Pate tank & 12 gal Moeller. The idea of additional capacity and not having to flip the seat cushion to refuel were too much to pass up. I just did a dry fit after removing the seat and will get away without trimming. and, like you, seems I'll have to shorten the fastener bolts. However, I remain very curious as to your experience with the tie-down strap through the season? Are you keeping this way or have you gone with a different tie-down? I'm considering the Moeller metal tie-down straps designed for the tank & although it would be a clean look - they sure seems like a good way to stub a toe (and circulation space will be less with the larger tank sticking out the back of the seat). What do you think? <James>

link to tie down strap on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Perman...merReviews

RobertJ wrote:
Some years back I replaced the original Pate tank that my boat was fitted with when new with a 12 gallon Moeller. I never was pleased with the loss of the extra 3 gallon capacity that the original tank afforded as it limited the running range. After some careful research I ended up installing a 22 gallon white Moeller topside non/EPA rated fuel tank. After some minor trimming of the upper radius opening with a burring tool and removing the protruding fasteners of the forward seat base bracket and replacing with low profile fasteners to prevent intrusion into the tank, the fit was spot on. Couldn't be more pleased. This will allow me to now travel further south in search of redfish without the need of transporting an additional fuel tank. I also prefer the white tank as it has a more clean and custom appearance. Oddly this tank is advertised as a direct fit for the 17 Montauk yet many complain that their boats original fuel line location interferes with a drop in fit without modification to either the height of the tank off the deck or relocating the original fuel line. Fortunately my Dauntless 15 boats factory fuel line exited the deck at the starboard forward corner of the seat base and did not interfere with the tank install. Moreover ,there is no more need to unsnap the seat cushion for refueling.

[Edited to upload photo and remove link to outside website]

Edited by Phil T on 12/12/18 - 10:58 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 5:55 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 26
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,067,099 unique visits