View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1988 17 ft montauk
johnstout
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/17 - 4:49 PM

Comments: 0

I am remodeling my 1988 17 ft Super Sport Limited to a center console. I just received my new side rails and all the stand offs are the same length which will not allow the rails to be installed correctly, I think. My question is this, is there a difference between a regular Montauk hull and the Super Sport Limited hull? If there isn't then are the stand offs different lengths on an OE installation? Or, do the rails gradually curve inward moving to the stern of the boat?

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/31/17 - 8:32 AM

Comments: 16

The hulls are the same, except the SS limited probably doesn't have the fuel line cutout to access the floor tunnel for the under seat fuel tanks.

I also think the side rail standoffs are the same size, but am not near my boat to absolutely confirm it.

johnstout
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/31/17 - 8:48 AM

Comments: 0

Your right. There is no cut out for the fuel line in my boat. I looked at hundreds of pictures of 17ft Montauks last night and it appears that the stand offs are at different heights to accommodate the contour of the boat. I addition, it looks like the rail at the stern is slightly angled to accommodate the extreme difference of width at the stern. When I measure the inside width of the boat at each attachment point I come up with this. 67", 67", 66", and 63", bow to stern.

Weatherly
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/17 - 4:01 AM

Comments: 4

I installed a new set of side rails on my Boston Whaler 17 Custom (Eastport interior) that was originally a Super Sport Limited model. I bought the side rail set from Nauset Marine so the set was an OE Boston Whaler part. The stanchions, what you call stand-offs, were the same length. When I installed my rails, I was careful to screw down the base stanchions first at all four points on the surface above the thwart board channel but directly below the wood backing in the interior bulkhead (there are 4 locations). You must be certain to screw the side stanchions where the plywood backing plate is located in the interior bulkhead. I was able to see the outline of the wood located below the gelcoat using a light. I also installed the rails with the T fitting allen heads facing outward, so that the allen heads did not cause injury if you rub up against them. You will be drilling new holes in your boat so use the correct undersized bit.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 8:41 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Delmartianmel
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,021
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,625
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,050,100 unique visits