View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
bilge pump and switch panel
outrage98
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/25/17 - 4:32 PM

Comments: 0

I'm a new member and this is my first post. Forgive me for any gaffs. I got an 1998 Outrage 18 a couple weeks ago and now the bilge pump has stopped working. it doesn't appear to be tied into a fuse block and I wonder if the switch is on a circuit breaker. If it is , it doesn't appear to be tripped. I can't get voltage at pump, or continuity through switch. The pump is on a float switch. I removed the pump and applied 12v to it and it ran.

My guess at this point is the switch is fried. I wanted to get your opinion before I start removing more parts.

Edited by Phil T on 09/26/17 - 4:51 AM

gchuba
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/25/17 - 8:47 PM

Welcome.......great start. Continuity a simple and defining test. No continuity with the switch in the "on" position is defining. I have no knowledge of the circuitry of your boat from the factory. However.......bilge switches sometimes bypass the fuse block. My bilges are independent of the panel on my boat and have a dedicated circuit breaker from the battery. That way, with the battery in the off position in a multiple battery set up, or with the circuit breaker off (hopefully you have one before your fuse block) servicing the fuse block.....the bilges still work. Well worth your time to schematic all your wiring. Even if the switch swap works I say.......continue and explore. Is your switch a switch or circuit breaker switch????? If a circuit breaker switch what "cooked" the circuit breaker?

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/26/17 - 5:03 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

If you have a seperate float switch, there is a splice in the wires joining the wires from the float to the pump. Many times the wires are not sealed properly. Pull these apart, cut back to new wire and reconnect, paying close attention to the color codes.

Use marine butt connectors with heat shrink ends and slather with liquid electrical tape to ensure a tight seal.

Butt connectors: Probably 12 gauge.
https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/produ...42938.html

Liquid electrical tape:
https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/produ...30888.html

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

outrage98
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/26/17 - 5:57 AM

OK, thank you. That splice is not visible, but I'll find it. There's an access port between console and seat. I haven't been in there yet. Thanks again! I'll be back.

ClevelandBill
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/26/17 - 6:47 AM
Personal Page

I agree with GChuba and Phil T. If it wasn't already apparent, you should hear this loud and clear: even though the bilge pump might bypass the fuse or breaker panel, the bilge pump should still have a fuse or circuit breaker INLINE. From what I have learned on this site, the best place to have this protection is as close to the battery as possible. That way, all the wiring is protected from overheating/fire damage, which usually protects a whole lot of other things, like other wiring, fuel lines, etc.

Most dedicated bilge pump switches (commercially available) have a switch and fuse receptacle mounted side by side in a little rectangular cover plate. The point of not going through the main panel is you don't want something stupid in your electrical system shutting down your bilge pump. Even on small boats where it isn't an electric cooktop or microwave overtaxing the amperage, you might have a mobile phone transformer/charger go bad, knocking out the main panel ... leaving your boat to fill in the rain ...

ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG
2015 150 Super Sport 60hp Merc

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 5:56 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,095,373 unique visits