View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
First time boat owner...and it's a 1974 13' Sport!
J-Moe
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/24/17 - 2:27 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hi All,

I'm new to posting on the forum, but I've been lurking for a while and know how generous and supportive this community is. For many years I've wanted a little boat that I could use to explore the harbors and bays of Long Island. I've always had my eyes on Whalers, so when I had an opportunity two weeks ago to buy a 1974 13' Sport, I took it. It's a little bit of a dream come true.

I paid $2,800 for the boat, 2012 Sea Lion trailer, 1998 Tomatsu 40hp motor, and some accessories like a cover and anchor. The boat is in great shape and ready to go in the water as-is.

Since we only have a month or two left on our boating season, I plan to use it as-is to get some experience on the water and then perhaps make some cosmetic repairs in the off-season if my family and I decide that we like boating and will use it often next year. I have no desire to do a complete restore to its 1974 glory - I don't have the time and too many modifications have already been made - but some of the things I'd like to fix include:

- Fixing the bow and stern lights, which I'm told is not a big deal. It's either the console switch or the units themselves. Worst case scenario, it's the wiring.
- Sanding and re-varnishing the mahogany. There are a few spots that look like bubbles burst, so I'd like to fix those. That said, some of the wood looks like it's splitting near the screws, so I need to be careful about taking it apart.
- painting or stripping the inside paint. As I understand it, BW used tan for the interior color in 1974, but a prior owner painted white over the tan. The white is now chipping away and you can see that the tan looks like it's in good shape. I'd love to revert to the tan, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to remove the white (especially from the non-skid floor areas).
- Repaint the bottom. This is low on the priority list since the boat will be trailered and the existing bottom paint is in good shape.

I am so proud to own a BW and I look forward to learning from everyone on WC. I promise to limit my stupid questions as much as possible.

Cheers,
Jim

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/24/17 - 3:21 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Congratulations Jim and Welcome aboard WhalerCentral.

My first Whaler was a 1970 Sport 13' back in 1975
Had it for 13 years and never had any problems.

Enjoy

phosphoreum
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/24/17 - 4:47 PM

I bought my 1977 13' Whaler a few years ago now and still love it as much as the first time I had it out. Mine has seen better days but is still very serviceable. Over the last few years, I've put a newer and much more reliable outboard on the stern and made some safety upgrades along the way. Even if I were to do something stupid and smash the boat somehow, I'm not out much.

There's a long list of improvements I could make to ol' Naval Lint (that what I call her) as time and budget allow but like yours, mine has had some imperfect work done over the years. If you aren't in the restoration camp, don't be afraid to try some stuff and learn some skills on and off the water. There isn't anything you could do that will remove fun from the equation. The worst thing that can happen is that you will gain some pride in your boat!

Have fun and stay safe,
Phosphoreum

J-Moe
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/17 - 9:23 AM
Personal Page

Thanks guys.

And Phosphoruem - I'm so glad you mentioned about not being afraid to try some stuff. I've been on the fence about whether I should avoid making further changes to the boat, but as I use it, I think I'm going to want to play around a bit. So thanks for the encouragement.

ClevelandBill
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/17 - 11:30 AM
Personal Page

My neighbor Bob got his Whaler years before me ... his is an older model 13 Sport, too. He and his wife absolutely love it, take it out on Lake Erie quite often, and they're not interested in "just a little bit bigger". They can manhandle the small boat at the ramp, they feel safe in the boat despite Lake Erie's fickle ways, and she really likes that she can dangle her feet over and into the water. They love the water, don't want to be insulated from it. The 13 Sport (and the 17 Montauk) are, in my opinion, the classic Whalers that made the reputation for the whole line. Nice choice, and smooth sailing to you!

ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG
2015 150 Super Sport 60hp Merc

J-Moe
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/29/17 - 7:22 AM
Personal Page

Thanks ClevelandBill. We took her out this past weekend for the first time and felt very safe in a bay with a lot of traffic.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 8:45 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 19
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,085,501 unique visits