View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
150 Super Sport - Right Boat for me?
JRP
#21 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/17 - 9:50 AM

Comments: 2

Yesterday Whaler announced all new 2018 Montauk 150 and 170 models. Might be worth studying for anyone weighing their options in boats from this size range:

http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...pid=150193

Edited by JRP on 08/25/17 - 9:51 AM

morgan0751
#22 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/17 - 10:39 AM

Comments: 0

The last thing anyone wants to do (me) is buy a boat 15-20k range and have it not work for you. I have looked at those wedges seats as well with decent space being behind the bench on the 150SS. I do agree the Montauk layout seems like it has less floor space. Removing the cooler on the SS can be left at the dock or moved to the back making moving around easier. As far as fishing that's probably at the lower end of my list of usage for the boat. I'd put cruisising, lounging, and crabbing all above it. The one thing the Montauk does offer in the course of my research is standing comfortably and driving. The SS from what I read is mainly sitting and driving which can beat you up in some choppy waters. For you owners how comfortable is operating the SS. I'm 5'8 so I'm not concerned about my knees in my chest. Can you guys stand and drive the 150SS?

lsucole
#23 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/17 - 1:47 PM

morgan0751 wrote:
The last thing anyone wants to do (me) is buy a boat 15-20k range and have it not work for you. I have looked at those wedges seats as well with decent space being behind the bench on the 150SS. I do agree the Montauk layout seems like it has less floor space. Removing the cooler on the SS can be left at the dock or moved to the back making moving around easier. As far as fishing that's probably at the lower end of my list of usage for the boat. I'd put cruisising, lounging, and crabbing all above it. The one thing the Montauk does offer in the course of my research is standing comfortably and driving. The SS from what I read is mainly sitting and driving which can beat you up in some choppy waters. For you owners how comfortable is operating the SS. I'm 5'8 so I'm not concerned about my knees in my chest. Can you guys stand and drive the 150SS?

I am just over 6' and am 62 yrs. I can stand up and drive but you really would not want to for any extended period. Sitting down to drive on a real seat is one of the other reasons I went from my previous center console to a SS.

Unravels
#24 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/17 - 7:57 AM

I'm 5'10", standing and driving is not super comfortable, kind of have to hunch over when running, can do for short periods of time when you need a better view , the height of the steering wheel is good for standing while doing low speed stuff like docking or working in shallow or tight areas.

ClevelandBill
#25 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/17 - 11:51 AM
Personal Page

I'm 5'10" also, and only stand and drive once in a blue moon. You cannot reach the throttle from a standing position. That said, for a little boat, this thing does not slap the waves as much as you'd think. I have had the boat out in two and three-foot chop on Lake Erie, and can run pretty hard (when I'm alone and not scaring my kids to death). Only once in a while do I hit something badly, go airborne, and need to rely on my legs as shock absorbers. Then I cut the throttle back a bit, or change my angle of approach to the waves. The 150 SS has a pretty deep V for a small boat ... and man does it stay dry from the front end. My only vulnerable spot at all is the transom, which is pretty low, and then only because I got stupid with the waves behind me (or usually, backing into them from our lakefront ramp).

ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG
2015 150 Super Sport 60hp Merc

Unravels
#26 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/17 - 5:35 PM

I have the same experience as bill with river chop, its dry going straight into the waves with the bow up. But, once you turn it gets wet. I'm going to put a bilge pump in the back, going to glue a piece of plastic to floor in the little well near plug and screw one of those rule auto pumps. Hopefully this will get rid of the constantly wet floor too.

I've never had any water come up over the transom, have been paranoid it would happen though. Comes close but has never come over.

I really want to get one of those stayput anchor pins that mounts off the engine bracket, think will fix my fishing issues of anchoring in shallow water, and give me a push pole. Water will probably come over transom with rear anchor though.

morgan0751
#27 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/17 - 7:12 AM

lsucole wrote:
I think Bill gave a great review in his original post. I have a 2012 150 Super Sport and it has been a great all around boat choice. I originally was deciding between the 150 Montauck or the 170 Montauck. before I saw the 150 Super Sport. Once I decided on the 150 size, the Super Sport won me over for one reason -- usable floor space ( room) ! My usage is primarily fishing ( I did add a poling platform and a I Pilot trolling motor up front). IMHO, the center console in the 150 Montauck is just too big and eats up too space. Even though it is a bench design , it is a lot easier to move around and you have a lot more usable floor space in the Super Sport. Like Bill I installed foldable swivel seats on the bench. For extra passengers, I purchased two of the small wedge shaped marine bean bags ( EZ Searider ?) and they work great either up front on the floor or back behind the bench. Believe me if you are going to haul kids, tube, ski's, etc. the Montauk doesn't have enough room !

do you have a picture of what those wedge bean bag seats look like in the back of the boat?

lsucole
#28 Print Post
Posted on 08/30/17 - 11:31 AM

Sorry I don't have any pictures. I do remember they were the smaller wedge style.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 29, 2024 - 10:44 AM
Users Online
Welcome
cromjue
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,030
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,150,465 unique visits