View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
New Bottom Paint- 22' Outrage
DoubleU
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/17 - 5:42 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

1984 Outrage 22'....

Finally bit the bullet this spring and started scraping and sanding. Here is what I did:

Scraped and sanded the hull as much as possible while on the trailer, discovered lots of blisters under the old paint, meaning it sat in the water before the original barrier coat and paint system was applied.

It had at least 3 different colors of bottom paint, pushing 1/8" thick in some areas.

Moved to blocks and jackstands and finished sanding, filled all gelcoat chips (blisters) with West System epoxy and thickener, the original barrier coat was in good shape so I did not sand it all off unless needed.

I did my best to dry the holes in the transom (wood never stopped drying, foam areas dried in a few days), filled all old screws in the transom, including the outer, lower holes for the engines- I know this is not kosher, but they had stripped lag bolts in when I picked it up, so they have not done anything for the last how many years anyway, plus they are only 90HP each.

Masked and repainted the bootstripe with 3 coats of Interlux Brightside Fire Red enamel

Masked the bootstripe and my dad and I rolled on 4 coats of Seahawk Tuff Stuff Epoxy barrier coat primer, drank a beer, ate a sandwich, then we rolled on 2 coats of Seahawk AF-33 Dark blue bottom paint both pints we used 6" long 1/4" nap rollers

I bought the 2 gallon kit of Tuff Stuff, and I probably had enough left to do a 5th or 6th coat

Each coat of ablative bottom paint used about 1/3 of a gallon, so I have about 1/3 left

So far I have over 50 hours into this with another 5-6 to get it back on the trailer, touch up where it was blocked and re-rig the motors

If you have any questions let me know

Grant

DoubleU attached the following image:

[113.63Kb]
Edited by DoubleU on 06/14/17 - 5:43 AM
The beatings will continue until morale improves

DoubleU
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/17 - 5:44 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Only one picture per post...I will put the progress on my personal page

DoubleU attached the following image:

[121.25Kb]
Edited by DoubleU on 06/15/17 - 9:11 AM
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
September 6, 2024 - 12:20 AM
Visit our Sponsors
Nauset Marine - Whaler Parts and Accessories

Wm. J. Mills and Co. - Boston Whaler Canvas

Carver Covers - The Best Covers Under The Sun

Specialty Marine - Parts and Accessories

Click on logo to visit site
View all Sponsors Here
Users Online
Welcome
William N Wagner
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 1
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,366
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,637
· Sport 13 1,366
· Outrage 18 555
· Nauset 16 402
· Sport 15 365

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.13 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 86,375,668 unique visits