View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Voltage Drop
jamesH
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/29/17 - 5:09 AM

Comments: 0

I have a 17' 1984 Montauk and am currently trying to restore the lights on the boat (bow and stern). I have tested the voltage at the battery terminals and it reads 12.4V, the battery is less than a year old, however there is a wire going from the battery to the console and when tested on the end of that wire it reads only 4.5V. I know that I need 12V for both of the lights and I have connected them both directly to the battery and they have turned on. Any suggestions would be fantastic.

Thank you

blaster
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/29/17 - 6:24 AM

Sounds like the wire is corroded. You need to run a new marine grade wire.

gchuba
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/29/17 - 7:25 AM

Some voltage drop is expected with the use of any fixture/accessory. Yours is excessive. Heavily corroded connectors, poor attachments to the wire, tired switch, etc.... can all lead tho voltage drop. Disconnect the ends of the leads and buff out corrosion, see if the leads are held together by half the wires, if non shrink wrapped connections the resistance could be inside the crimp, see if tinned wire, etc..... It may very well be the wire but resistance could anywhere along the line of use. Start at the battery and work your way along. Ohm (resistance) testing gets complicated.

As an example....I came home to no water Saturday night with my well system. I started at the source at the service fuse box (110v), then opposite side of fuse (110v), then switch (good), then secondary fuse box.....one fuse had continuity but had a major voltage drop....replaced fuse still no water, upward to the splice area on top of the tank (my pump sits inside the holding tank)......one connection has a cut in the insulation and it slowly corroded/severed the connection, reattached the wires.....good to go (all the connections need revamping, lots of patina throughout). So......... on Saturday night I am thinking "....how do I get a new pump from a professional shop over Memorial Day Weekend......" with no sleep that night to installing a single twist connector. Do not jump to conclusions and worries of pulling new wire until testing done.

Garris

Edited by gchuba on 05/29/17 - 7:33 AM

Pinion
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/17 - 9:33 AM

Comments: 1

Have you checked the resistance of the wire from the source to the object its powering?

Is there a breaker in the circuit you are using? I had a breaker recently fail in its operating position. It was only letting out 0.5V. I isolated the problem only after hooking the electronic item directly to 12V and saw that it was working as expected.

Finnegan
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/17 - 11:49 AM

Comments: 16

Unfortunately, Whaler cheaped out on navigation light wiring for 30 years, running unprotected grey duplex wire directly in the boat tunnel, where it can easily get abraded and fail from other rigging work, forcing other cable through, etc. As mentioned, this is your problem.

In a Whaler floor tunnel, which end up filled with dirt and grime, wire should only be run that is Ancor boat cable, with white protective sheathing over the two encapsulated wires. Use 16/2.

You can see the Ancor boat cable in this photo:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/l...Gc=/?ref=1

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 7:41 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 21
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,084,306 unique visits