View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
classic montauk 17 towing with v6 FWD SUV
whalerlibby
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/14/16 - 11:47 AM

Comments: 0

Recently acquired a 1987 Montauk 17 but we don't have a "traditional" tow vehicle.

Closest we have is an Infiniti qx60 which has a 3.5l v6 with FWD only. This model is basically a FWD Nissan Pathfinder if you are not familiar. Tow rating is 3500lbs.

I am confident we wont have much issues towing from home to ramps, I am just concerned with the FWD SUV at the ramps. Wheel spin and slipping backwards specifically. We did recently put on new tires with high rating for hydroplaning / wet traction.

Anybody have experience with a similar setup?

I believe my total rig with the 90hp Yamaha 2-stroke with hull, trailer, fuel should be about 2200lbs?

Thanks.

JRP
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/14/16 - 2:01 PM

Comments: 2

I do not have specific experience with your vehicle, but based on what I know of the Montauk 17 and the general capability of a FWD SUV w/ V6 power, I doubt you will have any issues. On ramps -- really anywhere -- be sure to remember to always use the parking break in addition to the "Park" mode on the transmission.

If you ever bump up to a much larger model, you may have to think about a tow-vehicle upgrade too. But I would think you'd still be okay with an Outrage 17 or 18. Getting close, but probably okay.

Edited by JRP on 12/14/16 - 2:02 PM

jgortva
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/14/16 - 2:59 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Like JRP, I do not have experience with your specific vehicle, but I do have 25 years or so of towing boats up to the 3500 pound weight limit with FWD minivans such as the Chrysler Town and Country, 2wd pickups, (RWD), and now my Hyundai Veracruz AWD with your same 3500 pound tow capacity. I have never had issues with FWD vehicles on even wet boat ramps. Just use the low gear and apply smooth even power and you should have no slippage, wheel spin, or other problems. In fact, in my opinion if you are towing with a 2WD vehicle, FWD would be my first choice over RWD as I experienced much more slippage or wheel spin pulling a boat up the ramp with my RWD Chevy Pickup than any FWD vehicle I have towed with.

Jim G.

Finnegan
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/14/16 - 6:43 PM

Comments: 16

There is a little trick, not widely known, to prevent backward sliding of the vehicle caused by high boat weight pulling vehicle backward down the ramp.

I regularly launch my Outrage 25 using a 7000# tow package Cadillac, in a moderately steep ramp. The boat, filled up with full tank of fuel (140 gallons) for a week of boating, clearly weighs more than the vehicle.

The secret is, once the BOAT TRAILER begins to slope down the ramp, take the car out of reverse and put it in drive. The weight of the boat will still slowly pull the entire rig down the ramp, against the action of the transmission, but the car will never loose traction to prevent an out of control downhill slide. This also gives you instant forward traction if you need it, by keeping your foot lightly on the gas pedal as a precaution. I don't really know why this works, but it does. Try it, you'll see what I mean. If I leave the car in reverse, the boat can indeed pull the car backward sometime. But in forward, never.

If you use proper wet traction tires, I don't believe that a front wheel drive vehicle will ever provide as much traction in a boat ramp as a rear wheel drive vehicle. Just think of the weight transfer situation, including tongue weight, as you pull out of a ramp - weight is transfered to the vehicle REAR wheels, not the front wheels.

action
#5 Print Post
Posted on 12/15/16 - 3:37 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I've towed my Montauk 17 short distances with a Subaru Forester and longer distances with an old Chevy S10 with no problems. It gets used at least once a weekend in NJ during fishing season. You should be in good shape.

mtown
#6 Print Post
Posted on 12/15/16 - 5:30 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

I sometimes tow my 16'6 with a Toyota camry. The ramp is next door and is concrete, but the front wheels are on grass. If the grass is wet I crank the boat on about 2/3 of the way onto the trailer. This causes upward lift on the tongue and applies more pressure to the front of the car.

I tie the bow to the trailer in addition to having the strap locked. As soon as it is on level ground [10' or so] I crank the boat fully on.

Phil T
#7 Print Post
Posted on 12/15/16 - 5:55 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I saw a local owner retrieve his boat with a FWD pickup from a very slippery and steep ramp by blocking the trailer in the water, dropping the tongue jack and hooking up a tow strap and pulling the trailer from the top of the ramp.

He had a large shackle on his tongue skid bracket to attach the strap.

In watching him, it was clear he had used the technique before as it only took him 5 minutes to rig it up.

mtown
#8 Print Post
Posted on 12/15/16 - 1:49 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

Phil,
I have done that also. Luckily the ramp is private so my experiments go unobserved. My kids think I'm nuts, but are sworn to secrecy.

EJO
#9 Print Post
Posted on 12/16/16 - 11:21 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

Ramps here in West Michigan at the local lakes aren't steep and therefore quite often your rear wheels are in the water, hence a FWD car that can handle the tow load such as the 3,500 lbs. you are talking about(your classic Montauk 17 is a lot less) is a good set up as the front wheels will be on dry land.
Conclusion enjoy your towing with the QC60 (in comfort :-))

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

whalerlibby
#10 Print Post
Posted on 12/27/16 - 8:44 AM

UPDATE: took her out over the weekend for the first time with great success and no issues whatsoever. Towing around town was a breeze and pulling the rig out of the water was effortless. Zero slip or spin even driving through some puddles and wet tires.

12 Inch Club
#11 Print Post
Posted on 12/28/16 - 5:00 AM

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refe...s/800.jpeg

made me think of this picture.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 10, 2024 - 7:47 PM
Users Online
Welcome
jessecallen
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,073
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,372,776 unique visits