View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
New Metan Classic Collection
MetanMarine
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/22/16 - 4:40 PM

Comments: 0

We have received a number of inquires about our new boat line The Classic Collection. Below is the link to the new website. Will be working with Joe on Metan becoming a sponsor and advertiser on WC. Looking forward to providing any help I can on the restoration front and our New Metan Classic Hardware coming out next month.

www.metanclassiccollections.comctions.com

Edited by MetanMarine on 11/22/16 - 4:42 PM

tedious
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/22/16 - 7:46 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I saw one of your Sport 13s up at Coastal Boatworks in Newcastle, Maine in the spring. Very cool - good luck with them!

butchdavis
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/23/16 - 7:31 AM

It would be great to have another source of reproduction stainless steel hardware for our classics. 316 stainless or chrome plated brass reproduction or NOS items are not easy to come by.

Butch

Binkie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/25/16 - 10:37 AM
Personal Page

Are your hulls built from scratch new or are they old Boston Whaler hulls restored and rebuilt. I notice the name Boston Whaler is no where to be found. rich

Rich

MetanMarine
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/25/16 - 7:52 PM

Rich: They are brand new vessels.....

Binkie
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/26/16 - 9:56 AM
Personal Page

Do you use the same Unibond construction that Boston Whaler uses? Can you or have you done this to one of your hulls? http://www.affordablehousinginstitute..._small.jpg
I don't understand why you don't use gel coat instead of AwlGrip paint. I use Awl
Grip myself on a resto job, as gelcoat is so much more labor inductive, but on a new hull the labor to add gelcoat to the mold is minimal.

Rich

Binkie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/27/16 - 10:24 AM
Personal Page

Vacuum Infused Lay-up using Vinyl Ester Resins is the modern preferred method of building fiberglass hulls, used by most boat builders today and results in a stronger hull with no entrapped air, but it is not the same as what Boston Whaler does using two molds and infusing foam between them. Did you find another way to create the same thing? How are your hulls "unsinkable"? I find it unusual that you would build a new ground up hull and still include the undesirable features in your 13 footer such as the original non smirked hull and a notched transom suitable to only 15" outboards.
I sure would like to see some pictures of your hulls being laid up. You show plenty if images of your restoration work and it is impeccable.

Rich

jgortva
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/28/16 - 2:12 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Rich,
The absence of gel coat would mean that these are either restored hulls or built without a mold as gel coat is used as much as a mold release as a final finish. I agree that the problem with painted boats is that they need to be re painted. I am curious as to what the final answer will be.

Jim G.

Binkie
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/16 - 11:17 AM
Personal Page

It seems like Mike (from Metan Marine) won't answer the "hard" questions we have asked him. It would be easy to refute our claims that his "new" hulls are old restored ones. just show us some pictures of these hulls under construction, and I'll eat my words.

Rich

MetanMarine
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/30/16 - 1:10 AM

Hi Rich:

Thanks for your questions and I do apologize in advance for the amount of time it will take for me to respond to the many question i do get asked on the blogs we are represented on. With the launch of the “New” boat manufacturing company, the launch of the our Metan YouTube Channel not to mention keeping up with the 15K plus followers on Metan’s Facebook page my responses will not always be timely and or detailed as some would like to see. I will do my absolute best as I always to give people the time they deserve and try to answer as many questions as possible.

Being that this thread has introduced some questions that where not answer by myself and or were misrepresented. I am taking the time to address each of your questions and misunderstandings.

1) As I stated in my reply to your question, “Are your hulls built from scratch new or are they old Boston Whaler hulls restored and rebuilt. I notice the name Boston Whaler is nowhere to be found” They are new manufactured vessels. Feel free to again visit the new website. The website has the detailed build specs for the three models along with detailed pricing of each option and accessories. For one to insinuate that a 20-year-old boat restoration company with an impeccable reputation would advertise and state the vessels are new when they are not, well to be honest deserves no reply.
2) The boats are built using in-mold Ashland Maxguard gelcoats which in our opinion has the most superior performance and gloss retention in the industry.
3) Our wood products are finished using our own multi product coating system utilizing a number of Awlgrip products.
4) The first run of 13’s had the original 15” transom. We modified the molds and they now have a 20” transom. The 17’ we raised the transoms to 25” and the 21’s also have 25”
5) The vessels are manufactured using shoebox construction with a complete structural stringer system, full composite transoms, solid G10 blocked lifting points, bonding the deck liner and hull with methacrylate, injected with 4lb density floatation foam meeting or excessed USCG swamp test. Can you cut a boat in half and drive it away the answer is no but will it sink the answer is also no!
6) You can learn more about our new boat construction processes and features by following us on www.facebook.com/metanmarine or www.youtube.com/metanmarine. We keep our followers well updated on the new manufacturing of the Classic Collection as well as the restorations/repairs at Metan Marine. In fact, we have posted the entire venture of Metan Classic Collection over the past year on our social media sites. Starting with plug production, manufacturing of molds, new boat production, manufacturing of our in house wood products, our wood finishing process, detailed wiring and rigging to the final details of assembly.

Regards
Mike Borrelli
Metan Marine, Inc.

Edited by MetanMarine on 11/30/16 - 5:12 AM

tdcrane
#11 Print Post
Posted on 12/01/16 - 4:40 AM

Did Whaler authorize the trademark/patent rights to reproduce their legacy hulls? Just curious. The boats looks great.

MetanMarine
#12 Print Post
Posted on 12/01/16 - 5:25 AM

Our boats are Metan Classic Collection not Whaler so as far as trademarks we are not using any trademarks that the boat are Classic Collections.

Patents:There are no patent on their hulls in fact there weren't patent or copy rights on any boat manufactures till 1997. After congress pass the "splashing law of 1997" We took a 60 year old design and made changes to enhance the ride and styling. One other interesting fact is this design and Fisher's design of 1957 both are from a design that is over a 100 years old called a snow sled.

Our concept is to continue to bring back the classic using our 20 years of experience to make them better and of course more beautiful then ever before. No different then what we been doing with our restorations. Metan is current working on plugs for 2 more great classics. Metan Classic Collection will be adding both a Classic Collection 23 center console base on Carl Moesley's original Seacraft design along with a 28 Express base on Ray Hunt's 28 Bertram design. More fun times ahead!

butchdavis
#13 Print Post
Posted on 12/01/16 - 6:44 AM

I think it's wonderful that your are reprising these old and very popular designs. Since Boston Whaler did not choose to do so it's understandable that a low volume high quality builder would fill a market void.

I believe your new boats, due to premium pricing, may increase the value of the old restored classics owned by some Whaler Central Forum members. Although our classic remains unrestored I'm hopeful we'll get there eventually.

Good luck.

Butch

MetanMarine
#14 Print Post
Posted on 12/01/16 - 9:14 AM

Thank You Butch! We feel the same way!

Reel Easy
#15 Print Post
Posted on 12/01/16 - 12:21 PM

Comments: 1

To Mike at Metan Marine. Can you share with me how the ceiling boards are secured to the new Pelham Bay 21.

MetanMarine
#16 Print Post
Posted on 12/01/16 - 1:03 PM

We glue battens to the inner liner then screw the slats to the battens!

MetanMarine
#17 Print Post
Posted on 12/02/16 - 9:08 AM

D-

Thank you so much for the story. The one part of the boatshows I hate is never being sure if I give people enough time. To hear this story makes me feel a bit better because i truly do my best! I look forward to seeing your project!

My Best
Mike Borrelli

Edited by MetanMarine on 12/02/16 - 9:08 AM

jamesgt727
#18 Print Post
Posted on 12/03/16 - 7:00 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Hey Mike, Very cool...when you guys get to the 15 hull let me know, I always want to discuss a carbon fiber one-off.

JT

Binkie
#19 Print Post
Posted on 12/03/16 - 8:23 PM
Personal Page

Mike,
The construction method you are using for your new boat line, (shoe box construction) is a tried and true method of joining the deck to the hull and has been used for decades, but this method of construction can't compare to the way Whalers are built. That's why they last so long and are so valuable. All small boats are unsinkable nowadays. Personably I like restored quality boats better, and the thing about small Boston Whalers is you can start with a quality hull and turn it into a thing of beauty and eliminate the negative points in the original model. ( 13 and 15 footers were known for poor seating and uncomfortable driving positions even in the 15 ft, center console model) See my Personal Page for my 13 footer which I sold last July, and my 15 ft. Striper turned into a center console with a custom RP seat for driver and passenger, and a hinged center console for easy access.
https://fifteenfootbostonwhaler.shutt...pictures/8
Of course the 13 footer is known for its rough ride, but that can be tamed by moving the entire interior forward 6-8 inches,
There are many decent dry hulls available for reasonable prices, I can't see saving 500 bucks buying a badly damaged hull. It's not worth the repair time.

As I mentioned before your restorations have always been impeccable, I hope your new line of boats are also successful. I'm not a pro boat builder, I'm a retired home builder but I've restored quality boats since the early '70s.

MetanMarine
#20 Print Post
Posted on 12/06/16 - 10:18 AM

Thanks Rich for your kind words! We are very excited about the New Classic Collection boat line.... We will be at a few shows in Florida this winter hope you come by and see us

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 3:19 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 29
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,079,090 unique visits