View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Fuel tank placement Sakonnet - hmmm
heimtun
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/16 - 2:51 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Background:
The previous owner gave us two tanks for our motor (Mercury). My understanding is that tanks go below the console on the deck. He ran the fuel line above the deck - I don't like this and want to run it inside the tunnel with the rest of the "stuff".

We took the boat out for our first "shakedown" cruise and am happy to report that so far so good. There is one thing that is annoying and I'm wondering what I'm missing and I want to get a handle on it before I re-run the fuel line. The Mercury connectors stick out quite a bit and they are "ankle biters" and I am concerned about something stupid happening - tripping and/or worse yet something stupid happening that will result in a fuel spill.

Question:
Am I missing something? Is this how things are with Merc fuel tanks and a Sakonnet? Suggestions please.

Thanks

Wayne

heimtun attached the following image:

[98.88Kb]

heimtun
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/16 - 2:52 PM
Personal Page

The other tank - a full view.

[82.96Kb]

Finnegan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/16 - 3:30 PM

Comments: 16

The mahogany center console was designed to hold two 12 gallon metal Tempo or Mirax tanks, specifically designed for the boat, and widely used for many years thereafter. The tanks were held in place by a round "closet rod" which dropped into a wood fitting on e ach side of the lower console. Brown rubber mats, also still available, were used on the deck to contain spills, etc. You can see the same tanks and mats here in my 1979 Montauk:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...0754792104

Once the metal tanks were discontinued, both Tempo and Moeller came out with replacement red 12 gallon plastic tanks, the same size. These are still avaiable, and I would recommend you purchase them. About $100 each.

heimtun
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/16 - 5:09 PM
Personal Page

Thanks for this info. I have the rod - a small thing. Regarding the 12 gallon tanks - that will have to wait a bit. For now I'm looking to make what I have work if I can.

More photos would help too.

Edited by heimtun on 07/15/16 - 5:10 PM

Phil T
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/16 - 5:19 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

On all above deck fuel tanks there is a fitting for the quick disconnect hose connection. Each manufacturer has a standard. Some take up alot of room (like your photo).

You can change the hose/tank connection to any style to save room and help ergonomics. My preference is the brass Tohastu/Nissan style since they are brass and streamlined.

Any decent chandlery will have the male fitting that goes into the tank and the female connector that goes on the hose.

For example:

Tank - https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/produ...19052.html

Hose - https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/produ...23049.html

If you choose to keep the tanks under the seat, you can thread the fuel line in the tunnel. This is how many of the 16'7 and 17' models are rigged. No worries.

heimtun
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/16 - 5:26 PM
Personal Page

Good suggestion - nice fittings too - thanks.
Question - you said:
If you choose to keep the tanks under the seat, you can thread the fuel line in the tunnel. This is how many of the 16'7 and 17' models are rigged. No worries.

I have a 16'7" - there's no room under the seat - did you mean - under the console?

Phil T
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/16 - 5:34 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Yes.

wezie
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/16 - 9:48 AM

Thanks Phil, your summary of the connectors is very precise. I have hated the newer mercury connections for years, they stick and are hard to disconnect.
The older ones which are shown, are truly daggers, particularly when on tanks.
The Tohatsu\Nissan connectore are really well made. I have a couple and have never had a problem.
Just did not "put the whole connection together".

MG56
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/16 - 2:53 PM
Personal Page

I happen to be a fan of the old Mercury bayonet connectors and wouldn't swap them for the Nissan type connector. I also have to think you can change the direction of the tank fitting, but I could be wrong.

tedious
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/16 - 5:22 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I switched to the Mercury connectors, having had troubles with both the Yamaha and OMC connectors leaking. The Mercury connectors stick out a long way, and are tough to disconnect - but they don't leak.

Regarding the ankle biting, the elbow fitting on my tanks (Moeller) can be rotated - can you simply turn them to get them out of the path of traffic?

Tim

heimtun
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/16 - 8:49 AM
Personal Page

tedious wrote:
I switched to the Mercury connectors, having had troubles with both the Yamaha and OMC connectors leaking. The Mercury connectors stick out a long way, and are tough to disconnect - but they don't leak.

Regarding the ankle biting, the elbow fitting on my tanks (Moeller) can be rotated - can you simply turn them to get them out of the path of traffic?

Tim

Thanks tedious for this update and suggestion. My tanks are Tempo and I am not sure if the connector can rotate... I wonder if anyone knows if they do.

I did make a discovery this weekend... turns out I can push the tanks farther back - I guess I just had them resting on the bar at the bottom so the fuel line would reach.

New revelation... I went to run the fuel line under the deck in the tunnel repurposing some fuel line from another motor (I have 11') - it turns out that the fuel line has been recalled. Here's a photo of the fuel line for anyone who is interested.

Edited by heimtun on 07/18/16 - 8:55 AM

heimtun
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/16 - 9:01 AM
Personal Page

Image upload issues today...

Hose is "Sierra Silverado 3000"

Edited by heimtun on 07/18/16 - 9:03 AM

MG56
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/16 - 11:31 AM
Personal Page

The single smartest thing you can do right now is buy a new Merc/Quicksilver fuel line assembly with primer bulb. If you have plastic connector fittings I'd throw them all out too and buy OEM fittings.

We aren't talking about a lot of money here, ($110ish), but you are going to eliminate a boat load of problems, (ask me how I know).

heimtun
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/16 - 1:07 PM
Personal Page

MG56 wrote:
The single smartest thing you can do right now is buy a new Merc/Quicksilver fuel line assembly with primer bulb. If you have plastic connector fittings I'd throw them all out too and buy OEM fittings.

We aren't talking about a lot of money here, ($110ish), but you are going to eliminate a boat load of problems, (ask me how I know).

Making one up right now, thanks. OEM metal fitting fuel line to motor??? I've never seen that... can you provide a link?
Thanks,
Wayne

heimtun
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/16 - 1:19 PM
Personal Page

Ran new fuel line from motor to under console inside the tunnel. As mentioned in a previous post - I realized that there was room to push the tanks forward... which I did. I then attached a cleat on the each side inside the console wall and placed a plank in to hold the tanks. I seems to be working well - see photo.

[97.94Kb]

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 2:17 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 23
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,077,756 unique visits