View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Rust-Tools-Freshwater
ClevelandBill
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/02/16 - 6:29 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hello everyone!

I'm putting together my tool kit, safety kit, etc for my boat, a 2015 150 Super Sport.

The topic of rusty tools seems to be a saltwater problem.

IS THIS WRONG?

How do you freshwater Whaler enthusiasts store your tools? Do you have rust issues?

Thank you!

ClevelandBill

ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG
2015 150 Super Sport 60hp Merc

butchdavis
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/03/16 - 7:18 AM

Fresh water can also cause tools to rust. I store my on board tool set in a gasketed plastic container with a snap over center latch. Annually I remove the tools and clean, inspect and apply a light coat of fresh oil to them. I then wrap them in a microfiber towel that I spray with a little silicon before returning them to the container. I believe the container may be made by Plano(?).

For what it's worth I have never used the tools since I began using modern outboard power and electronics. However, they are on board if I ever need them.

Butch

jamesgt727
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/03/16 - 8:55 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Not sure what type of tools you carry, but this is all I carry, it won't rust, and has been all I've needed for years. It's titanium and stainless. I wash it off in the sea...
http://www.leatherman.com/charge-tti-...tti-7.html

I think they have a 25 year warranty, mine hasn't rusted or gummed up yet and I bet it's 5 years old.

Edited by jamesgt727 on 04/03/16 - 9:00 AM

grizzly
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/03/16 - 10:31 AM

https://baileylineroad.com/how-to/how-to-stop-tool-rust/

butchdavis
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/04/16 - 9:02 AM

That Leatherman is a very inclusive all-in-one tool suited for almost every eventuality and a the price is not bad value for titanium. My single reservation is for those never-happen events when changing a spark plug becomes necessary. Admittedly, probably never necessary for a four stroke or DFI two stroke burning unleaded fuel. For an old looper or some such I'd keep a set of plugs and the necessary wrench aboard.

Butch

mtown
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/04/16 - 2:36 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

Last time I posted this I think it was deleted.

I use a plastic pretzel container. Cost is zero and it keeps tools as dry as it keeps pretzels.
Also it is clear so you can see what is in it, and in an emergency can hold water.

jgortva
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/04/16 - 3:08 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I find that tools are over rated on a boat as new as yours. Unless you are qualified or trained to work on a 2015 modern 4 stroke outboard you are likely to do more damage than good. Plugs don't foul on a 4 stroke for no reason and other than light general maintenance there is really no repairs you will be able to make with a limited amount of knowledge or tools that will get you going if you are stranded on the water. I would invest into a Boat U.S membership for 50 bucks or so and take the unlimited on water towing package which costs another 50 bucks or so. Put their number in your phone and get a handheld VHS as they monitor channel 16 and call them if you have difficulties on the water. I learned this the hard way when there were no good Samaritans around and I had to be towed a short distance by a professional on water towing company. The bill was $350.

Edited by jgortva on 04/04/16 - 3:10 PM

butchdavis
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/16 - 7:39 AM

I'm not familiar with Bill's engine but my four stroke Mercury has an engine mounted filter with a replaceable element. I carry a new element aboard with the tools to replace it. The "hood" on my engine is so large, heavy and awkward I hope to never have to remove it while on the water.

However, in general, I agree with you. I am far more concerned with the possibility of a high resistance connection developing in the boat or electronics wiring. Therefore I carry a small selection of fuses and connectors aboard along with a simple circuit tester.

Butch

Perichbrothers
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/16 - 7:55 AM

You should never need tools for your boat mechanically,
but you may come across a disabled boat when your out there,
or get line wrapped up in your prop.

It doesn't hurt having tools in a pelican case or a wrap,
as it sucks being in a position where a rusty screwdriver or snips
could have saved the day.

TP

ClevelandBill
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/16 - 12:40 PM
Personal Page

Decision was made. Bought a Pelican 1430 in yellow. Holds all the tools, first aid kit, day and night signals, hand compass, handheld VHF, and on and on. Put least likely to use things down low. What an amazing case this Pelican is ... built like a Whaler. Not too pricey, either, for a quality box. I have a desiccant cartridge which I'll also place in the box. Between waterproof, desiccant, and floating, my real problem is someone stealing my awesome box.

I am a member of my local CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) and have learned much about preparedness. I really focus on having general tools available for the most likely needs. I also focus on my first aid kit.

What I don't know yet is what I'll learn from experience. I haven't really been a boater since I was a kid, and we're talking 30-something years. As a kid, I was on the water at least weekly, probably more, and worked at a marina with a marine store, gas docks, etc. So I have some decent working knowledge in my head ... expect to get more.

Reminds me of a Yogi Berra quote: "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're different."

One thing I absolutely positively have is forceps and wire cutters. On a casual canoe fishing trip with another couple, the other husband hooked his wife with a lure. Both wives are MDs. All I had on board was a Swiss Army Knife. We guys held the two canoes together while my wife did surgery on her best friend! It would have been a less painful, more sanitary, and quicker operation had we a simple pair of wire cutters. We couldn't even force the hook through, smash the barb down, and withdraw. They just agreed to cut the hook out. With a Swiss Army Knife.

The right tool for the job is a great thing.

Edited by ClevelandBill on 04/07/16 - 12:49 PM
ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG

Perichbrothers
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/16 - 9:47 AM

Good choice.
You can melt in your name/id# with a soldering iron.

There was a story somewhere of a guy getting knocked out of his boat,
He had his vhf in the life jacket pocket or something,
and as the boat circled around him,
he made a 16 call and someone picked him up.
Didn't have a cut cord on the engine.
Do new smaller boats have one?
TP

ClevelandBill
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04/09/16 - 6:06 AM
Personal Page

Perichbrothers: I like where you're headed with your thinking. I am looking for a "pocket" or "mount" for my handheld VHS so that its readily available. I am waiting to take delivery of my boat (it snowed last night here-dealer hasn't been able to get her in the water) and so I don't know, but I believe the boat has a cutoff switch with the wrist cable. I think those are really important.

As for name, I have been buying luggage tags on eBay. They're plastic, engraved, and good-looking. I think I'll use my first squirts of 5200 bonding a name badge to my box. If 5200 is as strong as other posters claim it is, that will be as good as melting!

ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG

bob camire
#13 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/16 - 4:28 PM

Comments: 4

I love tools..put a small locktite container with stuff u might need..small adjustable wrench,,pliers, screwdrivers good knife.. flashlite..leatherman if u can afford one..not too much stuff..but might get u out of a jam

2006 Dauntless 160, 115 HP Merc 4 Stroke, 2012 Venture Trailer

gchuba
#14 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/16 - 5:20 PM

I have a booklet entitled ABCs of California Boating. Published by the State of California Department of Waterways. I hope some one in the club could post a link. Page 45 has a checklist. I have all on the items listed (including "desired") as well as EPIRB and getting a liferaft (I know it is an overkill and too cumbersome for 20' and under). Great check list....an example is "life ring" vs flotation device. For tools.....I have crawled over and installed all in my boat. Electrical butt connectors/terminals a real simple non room taking must have. I have the WestMarine carrying case cheapo tool kit. I have space for the unit but you can modify the container and strimline the goodies to what works with your boat. Put in a bungee container or such. Even a freezer bag. I usually misplace them before they get too rusted to use. Vice grips a must.

For Butch.....do practice with the shroud and match the fuse for the motor. Extremely happy I did so 2 yeas ago when my Whaler was actually getting wet. I might be still drifting out there.

Garris

flippa
#15 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/16 - 6:13 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

jgortva wrote:
. I would invest into a Boat U.S membership for 50 bucks or so and take the unlimited on water towing package which costs another 50 bucks or so. Put their number in your phone and get a handheld VHS as they monitor channel 16 and call them if you have difficulties on the water.

I totally agree; a Boat US or SeaTow membership is the best tool to keep on the boat.

I have had mechanical issues on several of my older boats, and getting a free tow back to port is priceless. Literally :)

I do keep a few basic tools on board and a Leatherman. The only major boat repair tool I have is a prop wrench. Beyond changing a damaged prop, I would rather deal with any needed repairs on land.

Edited by flippa on 04/26/16 - 6:27 PM

wezie
#16 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/16 - 9:36 AM

Most tools do not get used, and get in the way. They rust, they lead us into temptation, and neither the tools nor the parts we remove will float.
We might look at the repairs we could accomplish out there, and take the tools we need, vs all those we might use some day.
I tend to think of engine repairs; however other parts of the boat may need a twist or turn at some point.

mtown
#17 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/16 - 12:43 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

Did I mention that my "tool box" also floats.

blaster
#18 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/16 - 7:06 PM

It's always good to have simple tools. I carry them in a zip lock bag inside a small sealed box I got at the container store. I keep an oiled silicone cloth inside the Ziploc with the metal tools. When I finish using them I wipe them down and reseal the bag. I boat in saltwater and freshwater. Having an oiled cloth and double sealed container keeps them clean and ready to use.

bovk
#19 Print Post
Posted on 09/25/16 - 6:27 PM

Oiling the tools makes them nasty BUT being from humid TX believe me no better rust protection compared to a coat of nice smelling furniture wax, auto carnauba wax or any wax you find. Bees wax was used to coat parts shipped across the sea to the east (WWII).

ClevelandBill
#20 Print Post
Posted on 09/26/16 - 8:57 AM
Personal Page

That's a great idea. I have purchased a few woodworking tools from overseas (China or Taiwan). The cheap ones come slathered in a foul smelling oil, but the nicer ones are coated with a waxy substance. The best ones are dipped in a real heavy wax like the top of a Maker's Mark bottle, though getting that sh*t off a carbide router bit is a dangerous operation.

ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 4:59 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 19
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,065,962 unique visits