View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Dealer blues...
skier
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/15 - 3:41 PM

Comments: 0

Dropped off my new 170 Montauk to get Mercury 4 stroke motor prepped for winter storage. I had called earlier to try and setup an appointment. Dealer says, no we don't do appointments..so I dropped off boat/trailer today..
Dealer says, "leave it up there on the hill, we might get to it in a week or two".
So I towed it up into a muddy field, and left my boat open to the weather and mice.
At home I can keep it in my garage.
Why can't a boat dealer take an appointment for service? I have to drive 1.5 hours each way to this Whaler dealership, with an appointment they might have done the work in an hour or so. .
If this was a Mercedes or BMW dealership, would they say "leave it here for 2 weeks, we'll try to get to it."

Anyways my first Whaler is a great boat ; for travel around our island/cottage in Canada on Georgian Bay. Boat stayed in the water for 3 months this summer. Before towing it up to Canada, I went to another boat yard (not Whaler dealer), for some work. They put in a 25 gallon Moeller tank, under the seat, and installed a Garmin echoMAP plotter. They did let me set up an appointment, both times and did this work in 2 days!

I highly recommend the Moeller topside tank over the OEM 6 gallon tanks, for serious boating!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/5818056...ed-public/

Edited by skier on 09/28/15 - 4:01 PM

JRP
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/15 - 4:03 PM

Comments: 2

That's a lousy arrangement. I would not have left it with them.

Could you bring it back to the shop that did your work this past summer? It sounds like you had a good experience with them, and anybody can prep the engine for winter -- it doesn't need to be the dealer.

In fact, you could probably handle the winter prep yourself. What does it need? Crank case and lower unit oil changes? A couple of filters? (There are great tutorials on-line if you are unsure of yourself.) It would probably take less time than driving back and forth to that dealer -- twice!

Nice to hear the Montauk is workign out well for you!

butchdavis
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/15 - 4:07 PM

I would do one of two things. First, winterize the motor myself. There is nothing complex about it. Second, I would find a more service oriented shop to do my winterization if I was incapable of doing it myself.

In my experience there are plenty of Mercury authorized shops not associated with Boston Whaler but I wouldn't worry if a shop was not an authorized Mercury shop for something as simple as winterization.

Butch

skier
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/15 - 4:17 PM

JRP, Butchdavis,
Thanks for the advice. I just wondered if this was typical of Whaler dealerships. I did call another marina that sells/services Mercury O/B motors. They said essentially the same thing, leave the boat with us for 2 weeks.

The boat yard, that put in my Moeller tank don't winterize motors..as far as I know. Here is a picture of the topside tank they put in..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/5818056...ed-public/

Edited by skier on 09/28/15 - 4:42 PM

JRP
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/15 - 4:57 PM

Comments: 2

The tank looks great.

Here's a link to a utube video that can get you started on your own maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSUzs...SUzsqbII9I

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 3:50 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,508,933 unique visits