View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Whaler owners on Cape Cod..?
jaymoussy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/15 - 3:44 PM

Comments: 0

New Whaler owner here, "modern era" Montauk 170, new to boating as well - maiden voyage on Orleans Town Cove, to feel the breeze... then said breeze made retrieving interesting!

Any Whaler owners around me?

I am somewhat handy, and do use this forum as a reference, but maybe a local knowledgeable party could share his or her wisdom?

I know you are out there... Whaler boats seem to breed in every other cove, out here, an amazing sight!

Edited by jaymoussy on 06/11/15 - 3:44 PM

dgoodhue
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/15 - 6:03 PM

I do most of boating on the Town Cove. My family has a cottage in Orleans and I trailer my boat but this year I finally got a mooring sticker.

Whalers seemingly represent about 40% of the boats on the town cove.

Dave

mtown
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/15 - 4:34 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

My family vacationed in East Orleans for many years and my wife and I honeymooned there. The flounder fishing in Mill Pond used to be good. We could also snorkel and catch lobsters with a small gig in those days.

Weatherly
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/13/15 - 4:06 AM

Comments: 4

Growing up, my family's summer cottage was steps away from Skaket beach, back when the target ship was visible. I now reside further west, on the northshore of Cape Cod, near to Muset, on the old harbor at Spring Hill.

Edited by Weatherly on 06/13/15 - 4:07 AM

rbritdu
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/13/15 - 9:23 AM

Comments: 3

Hello ,
My family has a home in Orleans off Tonset Rd and overlook Nauset Inlet . We have been here since August 1980 . Nothing like Nauset Spit ... I moor my boat off the property . I started with a 13 ft Sport 1968 . Still miss it today . I upgraded a bit to a 2001 13 ft Sport . I keep my V 22 Outrage in RI .

Regards Bob

Bob
1979 V-22 Outrage, 225 HP Yamaha

Mambo Minnow
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/13/15 - 8:18 PM

Comments: 7

There are a couple of us here that boat out of Sesuit harbor.

jaymoussy
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/15 - 3:59 AM

Weatherly wrote:
Growing up, my family's summer cottage was steps away from Skaket beach, back when the target ship was visible. I now reside further west, on the northshore of Cape Cod, near to Muset, on the old harbor at Spring Hill.

I had to look up Muset, and found the Sandwich Conservation Trust webpage... gorgeous out there!

We go to Saket beach very often with the dog, and we have seen it is just about every season, weather, and tide conditions. It very much feels like a living thing. Last bitter winter had the ice cover going way far, so that you could barely make out the live free water, it was surreal!

On our second outing as new boaters, we took a cautious peak behind Little Pleasant bay's Hog island. Just shallow water, see grass, and the National Seashore strip separating us from the ocean. Awesome.

Edited by jaymoussy on 06/18/15 - 4:05 AM

Wood102
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/15 - 6:13 PM

Wareham here... I'm having fun in the weweantic river... 13 foot sport..

Weatherly
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/03/15 - 7:13 AM

Comments: 4

Yesterday, 2 Sep 2015, KatamaMV and I made a circa 50 mile round trip from Martha's Vineyard to Nantucket Island in KatamaMV's 1988 Boston Whaler Outrage 20 powered with a 2012 Evinrude E-Tec 150. The weather conditions were perfect for such a boat trip. Our mission was to rescue a friend's yellow labrador from a kennel at Nantucket; it was also KatamaMV's first ever trip to Nantucket.

We launched out of Edgartown before 0900 hrs after taking on 20 gallons of fresh gasoline; the load was two passengers and half a tank of gasoline (fuel tank capacity 77 gallons). We followed the main channel North out past Poge Light then traveled East/Northeast another 3 miles to the main channel leading to Nantucket. Boat traffic was light. We passed a USCG black hull Buoy Tender and followed a USCG cutter for 20 minutes before heading south to the Nantucket Harbor entrance. We relied upon line-of-sight land references primarily, i.e., estimated distances from Cape Poge, Muskeget and Tuckernuck Islands; KatamaMV then used his compass and GPS as a secondary electronic referrence for navigating our route to Nantucket. KatamaMV set waypoints along the way so that he was certain to be able to make this same trip again on his own. He already had a set waypoint for the cellular telephone tower we passed along the route.

Our Eastbound cruising speed was 27-30 mph. Fuel burn of the E-Tec 150 was circa 5.7 gph. The air temperature was 76 degrees. Water depth in the main channel averaged a minimium of 48 feet, upwards to 86 feet. The sea conditions were 1 foot; Wind was Southwest less than 10 mph We reached the breakwaters at Nantucket harbor circa 1000 hrs or 65 minutes after getting on plane just off of the Lighthouse Beach in Edgartown.

We tied up at The Nantucket Yacht Club (NYC) at 1020 hrs. I stayed with the boat after a brief walk to Nantucket boat basin while KatamaMV took a taxi to the kennel to take possession (actually "bail out") his friend's yellow lab. Some 45 minutes later, with yellow lab aboard, KatamaMV and I exited Nantucket Harbor for a return trip to Martha's Vineyard. The NYC steward warned of wet conditions on the return trip; however, that was not the case. I piloted the Outrage 20 on a track further west of the main channel; with seas at 1-2 feet, and wind now 13-15 mph. Our speed averaged 20-23 mph and fuel burn was 7.5 gph. I trimmed the E-Tec 150 sufficiently to raise the bow enough to cut through the wind-generated chop at portside forward quarter. We ran along the shoals so depth was 34 foot average with a minimium of 6-7 feet when passing over the shoals. I showed KatamaMV how to visually recognize an approaching shoal based upon reading the wave action and water color.

The wind picked up to 15-18 mph as we passed East-Northeast of Muskeget and Tuckernuck to Chappaquiddick. The ride was still smooth and dry in the Outrage 20 (no bimini) with the E-tec trimmed properly. Only once we experienced propeller ventilation that was corrected with a minor trim reduction. We arrived back at Edgartown harbor by 1235 hrs, off loaded the yellow labrador and had lunch.

We figured we burned less than 15 gallons of of gasoline. The E-Tec 150 ran flawlessly save my one instance of bumping the console back mounted key switch that turned off the gauges but not the motor. KatamaMV and I were able to carry on a conversation while at cruise speed as the E-Tec runs so quiet.

We saw many Boston Whalers tied up in Nantucket Harbor and at Edgartown. The highlight was our sighting of 3 Eastport 16's at a dock with Nautical lumber interiors onboard.

We agreed to plan our next boat trip together out of Menemsha to Cuttyhunk Island sometime later this month or in October. KatamaMV has only 75 hours on his E-Tec 150; I think his boat is set up perfectly for his use, with a fantastic balance of power-to-weight balance with the state-of-the art Evinrude outboard motor.

Edited by Weatherly on 09/03/15 - 7:37 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 3:56 PM
Users Online
Welcome
bheemstra
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,087
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,429,353 unique visits