View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Newbie lessons learned...
cleep1700
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/08/15 - 3:58 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Things that we learn when we get our first boat... I recently returned from a trip to Colorado and two weeks of fishing and boating on some high mountain reservoirs:
1. Always check EVERY nut and bolt connection after traveling on washboard roads. While driving down the road after my first trip, I looked out at the trailer from the driver's sideview mirror to see that the side bumper rail had become disattached from the supporting standard. Stopped the car to inspect and found that the three attachment screws were gone...duct taped it up and continued. Got home, 1.5 hours away, and replaced with hex screws. Tightened and was pleased with my repair.
2. Next day...same thing: passenger's side. Remedy: duct taped all remaining attachments and upon returning home, installed hex screws on ALL attachment points for the bumpers. Again feeling pretty pleased with my repairs, a major accomplishment for one who has zero mechanical skills.
3. Third day...after backing the trailer into water and launching my 15' Sport, I pulled it out and heard a rubbing sound from the trailer's driver's side that said something wasn't right. Stopped the car, jumped out and inspected the tire/fender and found that one of the bolts was missing and the fender was lying flat on the tire. Parked the trailer, walked back to the boat, and started to figure out what to do AFTER fishing. Got back after fishing and catching nothing, and determined the only remedy was to remove the other bolt and repair it when I got home. Of course, it was not as simple as planned and a couple of skinned knuckles and colorful language outbursts later, it was removed.
4. Fourth day...went to the hardware store and got the necessary bolts, washers, lock washers, and nuts to repair. Installed and checked EVERY bolt/nut connection on the trailer for tightness and tightened as needed.
5. Fifth and last day...met a college buddy for a day of fishing and on our way to a lake, a fella pulled up next to us and told us that the passenger side trailer wheel was wobbling badly. We turned the corner, stopped and inspected the wheel to find that two lug nuts were missing and the others were loose. Strange because prior to starting this trip, I had new tires installed on each side. So...we scratched our heads, tightened what we had, and found an auto parts store to buy replacement lug nuts and a 4-way lug nut wrench to accommodate our new variety of different lug nut sizes. Checked the driver's side, and sure enough, many were also loose. Tightened all as needed and went on to spend a great day boating.
Morals of the story for newbies:
1. When you get a new boat and trailer, remember the boat and trailer are a team that work together and inspect each carefully and regularly.
2. Have extra parts in a tool kit with appropriate tools for repairs.
3. ALWAYS have good duct tape.
4. Never assume those that you paid to do a job, actually did it and check the work if possible.
5. Don't beat yourself up for not thinking of everything. It's a learning experience every time you are out...
Craig in windy Kansas a little wiser from his recent exploits in Colorado

1978 Sport 15' with 50 hp Mercury

Turpin
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/08/15 - 6:40 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

It happens, I have a tool bag that is almost impossible to zip closed and I guarantee you there is something I forgot. I used past experience on road and off off for things that would fit in a small bag yet be handy.
When you find yourself helplessly drifting across Currituck at the mercy of the wind because your waterpump is cogged with reed grass and your anchor only manages to just barely slow your drift down, you think of those things that would be of help but very useless to you at that time as you don't have them at hand.

1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 4:12 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.13 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,509,265 unique visits