View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
VHF for a Montauk
johnmummert
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/05 - 11:26 AM

Comments: 0

Currently my 1990 Montauk does no have a fixed mount VHF. I do have an older hand held VHF. Either way I want to upgrade to new VHF. I am in the process of deciding between a new hand held or a new fixed. Each obviously has its advantages. # of Watts, distance able to transmit and power. I was wondering if anyone has advice. And also what people’s thoughts are about mounting and antenna on a Montauk Location, height etc. I use my Whaler off the NJ coast, so I think as 8’ antenna is the right answer?? If I was to go with a fixed moun, my thought is to flush mount the VHF.
Thanks in advance!
John

Jeff
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/21/05 - 12:30 PM

Comments: 34

John,

I would go with a fixed mount radio and 8' anteana mounted to the grab rail on the center console or, on one of the outer midship rails. As for radios I would look at this new radio from standard horizon. It is nice because you do not have to cut a large hole to flush mount the radio. The big box can just for mounted in the console with a small hole needed to mount the Mic.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexV...Archived=0
[img]http://www.standardhorizon.com/ProductImages/PS1000_thumb.jpg[/img]

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

TomB
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/22/05 - 6:52 PM

John,

I've also been looking for a VHF for my Montauk and agree with Jeff. I'm ready to order a Standard Horizon PS1000 with an 8' antenna and after shopping around think I have found the best price at Star Marine ($134.95). I've only ordered a few small parts from them in the past, but got good service. My plan is to get the PS1000, an 8' Shakespeare 5225XT antenna and a SS ratchet style rail mount to mount the antenna near the transom on the starboard side rail. The antenna is my big question mark now..does anyone suggest a different model??

I hope I'm following the proper procedure here to add a link to Star Marine:

www.starmarinedepot.com/Standard+Hori...S1000.html

Tom

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/22/05 - 7:30 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Tom,

Your URL was just fine. The only problem is our .php software does not like the + signs in the link so it won't make it active.

.php does not like other characters either.. Like apostrophes ' .... Just the way it is until .php becomes more sophisticated.

For you people going far offshore, an 8' antenna would be the way to go.
For the rest of us, a good 4' Digital antenna mounted on top of the center console shepards crook is a good choice.

I am using a 3' inexpensive Shakespear antenna at this time on my Outrage 18, but when it goes, I will be switching over to one of their 4' Digital antennas. When you have a large fish on, the last thing I want to do is worry about the antenna. You can however put them down while you fish which would help.

Here is a link showing the antenna mounted on the console shepards crook which is the highest point of all the railings.
http://users.sisqtel.net/jkriz/Outrag...trage.html

Edited by Joe Kriz on 11/23/05 - 5:13 PM

johnmummert
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/23/05 - 8:33 AM

Jeff- Thanks for the recommendation on the standard Horizon Phantom VHF. I think that is the Winner. And Joe thanks for the info and the pix on your website about the 4’ antenna mounted to the grab bar of the CC. Since we use our Montauk for fishing I think that is the way to go. By putting a 4’ antenna four feet off the beck, does that give you about the same coverage of an 8’ antenna on the deck?
Happy Thanksgiving to all and Thanks again.
John

Any other thoughts are appreciated as well.

Jeff
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/23/05 - 10:28 AM

Comments: 34

John I have a 4' mounted to the grab rail of the console so I can have the antenna up and still have the bimini up.
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...user_id=35
My father has a 8' mounted to the console grab rail of his Montauk. He has to bimini so this works out just fine for him. Both set-ups have worked great here on the great lakes. However unlike the Ocean you are never probally more than 20 milses from shore.
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...user_id=55

Edited by Jeff on 11/23/05 - 10:31 AM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Dick
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/23/05 - 4:58 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I flush mounted a Ray Marine 45 in the console of my Montauk and a 4' Digital antenna on the grab rail with an ss ratchet mount. It worked great, I don't think you can beat the Digital antennas.

Livingwater
#8 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/06 - 6:45 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

The PS1000 is a fairly inexpensive radio but with the full function remote mic it is priceless for boats with limited space.

I'm going to check it out further for my 190 Nantucket Cool

cdnwhaler
#9 Print Post
Posted on 03/06/06 - 7:34 AM
Personal Page

I installed the PS1000 on 1984 Outrage 22 with a standard original centre console and used it most of last summer with no problems. I reused the older 8 foot antennae on the starboard gunwale because I travel with so much canvas a good portion of the time, so console mounting is not an otpion. I'm unfamilair with digital antennaes but I've heard excellent reports about them. Mind you, I grew up with higher is better so maybe an 8 ft digtal is the best ?Wink

One of the concerns people seem to have about this PS1000 model is they are afraid the volume on a RAM mike will be too low. Not true. Even at 28knots with no canvas! This model is capable of taking an external speaker if you find it is a problem though. Also, when I mounted the mike I put it right beside the throttle where my console is on a 45 degree angle and therefore the mike/speaker points directly at my head. I've never been a fan of mounting vhf's low where the speaker is pointed at my kneecaps. Plus I can see the settings at a glance in this position.

You can download the owners manual here: http://www.standardhorizon.com if you'd like to read up on it before purchasing.

Great radio. Great reception - even while crossing a portion of Lake Superior last summer.

Regards,
Peter

Edited by cdnwhaler on 03/06/06 - 7:45 AM
1984 Outrage 22

ratherwhalering
#10 Print Post
Posted on 03/07/06 - 10:19 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

Peter, I have my PS1000 mic mounted in the exact same position, and it is VERY audible. I also mounted mine under the dash, to the plywood backing. The mic exits the console using an old "kill switch" hole. I'm using a Shakespeare 3-foot whip antenna, mounted low on the the console, and it is adequate, but not ideal. Still, the antenna it is out of the way and no one can mistake it for a grab rail!

--Rob--

Tom W Clark
#11 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/06 - 9:17 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

The best price yet for the Satndard Horizon PS1000 (or PS2000 for that matter) is here:

http://planetgps.net/vhf-fixed-mount-...rizon.html

$99.95 plus about $10 for shipping. Wow! You can't beat that...yet.

cdnwhaler
#12 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/06 - 3:16 PM
Personal Page

Tom,
I really wish you'd stop doing that. These radios came out about last April and I first heard about them from Chuck Tribolet on Continuouswave. Being that I was in need of a VHF and had to wait an extra month for them to arrive into Canada I paid through the nose for it. BIG BIG money. Now look at the prices Shock

Over the last year, whenever the topic of these radios comes up, you seem to post another link with an even better price. Last I remember they were down to $129 something.

Oh well. At least it's a great VHF for us centre console folks. Or any console type folk for that matter. But give it a rest Tom. Wink

Peter

Edited by cdnwhaler on 03/08/06 - 3:28 PM
1984 Outrage 22

MW
#13 Print Post
Posted on 03/10/06 - 2:59 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

ShockShockShockShockWOW ! what a price, remember how expensive the radio's used to be ? on the 15' sport, I found that mounting the radio on the back of my bench seat provided the best "out of the way place". As far as antenna's and radio's go, I have always believed that you should install high quality parts because, you may really need this item in an emergency (and I have). I used to buy the Fiberglass 8' hollow core VHF stick that folds down. The problem w/ this is that it is hollow core, and when folded down, it runs along the starboard gunwhale. This unfortunately puts it in the perfect spot to get stepped on by people boarding, and leaving the boat. I would'nt mind this so much but, the same friend (who's skull is 3' thick) keeps stepping on the new antenna's and splitting them , after I repeatedly warn him 46 times before he boards my boat. I remedied this by installing the "SOLID CORE" Shakespear 8' fiberglass whip antenna about $170, of course now my pal carefully steps around the Antenna, grins at me and says "See, I did'nt break it this time", I retorted with "Don't worry, I have full confidence in you that you will lose my Anchor, or break something else expensive on my boat".

mw

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 11, 2024 - 6:27 AM
Users Online
Welcome
CasperD
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,074
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.28 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,380,024 unique visits