View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Trail Rite or Pacific Trailer for 17' Montauk?
HBeric
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/27/15 - 11:11 PM

Comments: 0

I am looking to order a new trailer for my 17' Montauk.

For those of you in the West, any opinions on which is a better trailer (price independent): Trail Rite or Pacific? Or are they about the same?

Edited by HBeric on 03/27/15 - 11:12 PM

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/28/15 - 10:57 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I have owned both and they are basically the same.

Not sure about price difference.

I am also looking for a new trailer and just getting started.
The Pacific one I am considering is the G17SN3
Would need to add keel rollers on all cross members I believe.

Not sure which Trail-Rite model would be the best.
http://www.trailrite.com/galv_-2999_s...9_sing.htm

Please let us know which brand and model you end up purchasing.
Photos would also be nice.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 03/28/15 - 10:59 AM

HBeric
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/10/15 - 9:03 PM

Thank you for the response Joe.

After doing my research and talki with a few people who are in the know, like you mentioned, it turns out that both trailers are very well built, and are basically the same; can't go wrong with either one. The Trail Rite was significantly cheaper though, so that is the one I ordered. Also, they are good people, and their shop is more local to where I am at.

$3,000 out the door, which is about $570 less than the Pacific model. The trailer should be ready for pick up in a week and a half. I will take some photos and post them then.

Once I get my boat out of the water, I plan to get started on some fiberglass repair work (stripped bow rail and Bimini screws and a few minor chips in the hull), refinishing the rod holders, and installing a new pilot seat cushion. A Boating friend told me about a place called Orange County Fiberglass, so I may give them a try for the repair work. Do you know of any other reputable fiberglass shops in Southern California?

I also plan on shopping for a higher performance prop than what came on my 2015 Tohatsu TLDI 90. Top speed is 39mph at best, and the motor feels a lot stronger than that.

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/15 - 12:44 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

What model Trail-Rite did you end up buying?

GB-16-N-3
GB-17-N-3

Or some other model?

Finnegan
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/15 - 2:58 PM

Comments: 16

I've got to say I'm shocked to learn how much you guys in CA have to pay for even small boat trailers.

Two years ago I purchased this galvanized, all welded, channel steel, 2000# capacity trailer for my Montauk, including Stoltz rollers on SS shafts, Spindle Lube axles/bearings, Dry Launch totally waterproof lights, jack and mounted spare tire for $1400 complete. It fits the boat like it was designed for it, and launching/retrieving is so easy it's almost a joke. My recommendation would be to get any new trailer purchased for a Montauk to look as close to this one as possible, and you will be very happy.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...4162040705

I bought the trailer from Continental's only Midwest dealer outside of FL, outside of Minneapolis, and drove over from northern WI to pick it up. If I had bought it directly from a Continental dealer in FL, it would have been only $1200 as shown.

JRP
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/15 - 6:44 PM

Comments: 2

Finnegan, does your Continental trailer have a hinged/tilt feature? It almost looks like there is some kind of latch/pin just behind the spare tire.

Finnegan
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/15 - 7:37 PM

Comments: 16

Yes, all of Continental's keel roller trailers have a tilt frame detail. Even their tandem axle models tilit. The boat is so easy to handle that I have not found the need to use the tilt, however. I suppose it could be handy in a very shallow ramp.

The trailer under my Montauk is Model CV720

http://www.continentaltrailers.com/ga...d-tilt.htm

Joe Kriz
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/15 - 7:45 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

PLEASE, keep on topic.

This is about trailers on the West Coast.

Not Mercury, Not Continental, but Trail-Rite and Pacific.

Thank You...............

Please start your own question about other parts, etc.............

Any other post that is not on topic here will be deleted as of now.........

HBeric
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/15 - 8:01 AM

Joe Kriz wrote:
What model Trail-Rite did you end up buying?

GB-16-N-3
GB-17-N-3

Or some other model?

Joe,

Sorry for the very late reply, but the trailer model I ended up buying is a Trail-Rite SP17N3. I have the trailer now, my Montauk fits perfectly, the rig goes down the highway very well, and all is good.

Below are my notes related to my trailer purchase. I hope that this information is useful to you, and anyone else:

Boat Trailer Quotes

Trail Rite - (714) 556-4540 - Rob

Galvanized single axel (SP17N3) with 14" galvanized wheel/tire combo (ST205/75R-14C)
Fixed bunks (recommended - no reason to add extra hardware that may eventually corrode)
LED Lighting (unplug before entering water to prevent electrolysis)
Jack
Rollers?
$2,494 plus tax (8%) & license/document fees ($96)
Spare tire with mount is $199.10 extra
Swing tongue (can make trailer secure by putting a lock through one of the holes when tongue is swung)
Slide-out tongue (not recommended)
Guides $250 +/- (not recommended due to small size of boat, but can be added later)
Total cost $3,004.55 (includes tax, license, spare tire, mount, swing tongue, bow winch, lighting, jack, and coiled cables)
3 weeks to build

Pacific Trailers - (888) 479-6920 - Steve

Galvanized single axel - heavy duty
Fixed bunks
LED Lighting
Jack?
Rollers?
$2,817 plus tax (8%) & license ($94)
Spare tire with mount is $199 extra
Swing tongue $200
Slide-out tongue $ (not recommended)
Guides $300 (not recommended)
Total cost $3,574.80 (includes tax, license, spare tire, mount, swing tongue, bow winch, lighting, and jack(?))
3 weeks to build

rollingclone
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/15 - 12:46 PM

I built mine. $175 for the frame, and $750 in parts. Some of the parts were West Marine, so, you may do better.

Joe Kriz
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/15 - 5:58 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

HBeric wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Now we all know what trailers cost for the Montauk on the West Coast.

5-20
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/15 - 10:46 AM

Finnegan wrote:
I've got to say I'm shocked to learn how much you guys in CA have to pay for even small boat trailers.

Two years ago I purchased this galvanized, all welded, channel steel, 2000# capacity trailer for my Montauk, including Stoltz rollers on SS shafts, Spindle Lube axles/bearings, Dry Launch totally waterproof lights, jack and mounted spare tire for $1400 complete. It fits the boat like it was designed for it, and launching/retrieving is so easy it's almost a joke. My recommendation would be to get any new trailer purchased for a Montauk to look as close to this one as possible, and you will be very happy.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...4162040705

I bought the trailer from Continental's only Midwest dealer outside of FL, outside of Minneapolis, and drove over from northern WI to pick it up. If I had bought it directly from a Continental dealer in FL, it would have been only $1200 as shown.

This is really useful information. My montauk's trailer is in need of quite a bit of work and for what I have to put into it, if I could, I'd much rather buy a trailer like the one you now have for that kind of money. I'm in california, so that'd be quite a drive, though.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 3:38 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kenny Hulbert
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,105
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,524,784 unique visits