View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1987 TAN yamaha
tedious
#21 Print Post
Posted on 12/02/14 - 4:52 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

While I don't think the eventual purchaser did anything wrong, I would support a policy similar to that in place for other forums I frequent, namely not allowing reposting of eBay / Craigslist / etc. ads.

It's true that from just the original post anyone could have found the Craigslist ad in this case - or could have done so anyway even if nothing at all had been posted. And it's also true that the original posting member made a tactical error in posting for an opinion rather than moving fast - which is why I am not critical of the purchaser.

But I have had the experience (elsewhere) of having a great deal lined up, with the check in the mail even, only to have the ad reposted on a forum similar to this and the seller, then realizing what he had, backed out and took another offer.

Those sorts of ethical challenges can be avoided with a "no reposting of ads" policy. Make people do their homework if they want good deals.

Tim

got2fishsd
#22 Print Post
Posted on 12/03/14 - 2:46 AM

Comments: 0

Bottomline. No hard feeling toward you at all. But I am pissed at the seller "Becky".

Here is my side of the story. I saw the boat on CL 20 min after it was posted and called to set up a time to see the boat. I am in San Diego and Becky said she was not going to sell/show the boat over the weekend. I had two options.

1. Drive to Fresno 5 hours away hoping nothing the boat did not sell over the weekend. Because I had no contact with her over the weekend.

2. I called her again first thing Monday morning and said I would be driving up first thing Tuesday morning with cash in hand. I asked about paying a deposit online if she would hold the boat just until I was able to drive up. She said no need and because I had talked to her first and she seemed like an honest women.

She called me back around 1:00 pm Monday afternoon and bold faced lied to me. This is the only thing I am pissed about. She said the previous owner had passed away about a year prior and she was selling some if his belonging through the business. She fabricated a story that he had three daughters and one of the daughters wants the bait so she was now unable to sell the boat. It seemed a little fishy and I again asked it she had another offer or higher bidder to please let me know and I would be willing to increase my bid.

Bottomline like I said no hard feeling toward you. You were just much better at negotiating the deal than I was. I am still pissed at Becky for not being straight with me. Good luck with the boat. It is the cleanest looking one I have seen and if you want to sell it let me know.

docsoma
#23 Print Post
Posted on 12/03/14 - 10:14 AM
Personal Page

Considering the facts as described, I have to believe that the true beneficiary is the one who took the high road.

In all aspects of life, but possibly more so in matters related to boating, surely there is value in good karma. Sleep easy.

bottomline
#24 Print Post
Posted on 12/03/14 - 5:54 PM

Again I do apologize to got2fishsd.Missing out on so many other boats i had interests in and loosing them in so many different ways makes you do things in a not so proud moment. I hope you find another boat as nice as this one, i will keep my eyes open since i continue to look at other boats for sale. It's been something i've been doing for the past year like clockwork. It's like a bad habit your trying to kick,go figure.Mike

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 29, 2024 - 12:46 PM
Users Online
Welcome
cromjue
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,030
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 397
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,153,130 unique visits