View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
First time in Galveston Bay
WandaJane
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/14 - 5:56 AM

Comments: 0

This coming January (2015) I will be in Galveston for the month. Presently live in MN. I have a 1984 - 15' - super sport with a 70 HP 4-Stroke Suzuki. Will this size Whaler be safe in the Bay?

Could I take it out in to the Gulf?

Also, what do I need to be concerned with for my Whaler with regard to salt water. For the whaler itself (depth finder, speedometer, etc. And are all outboards "salt water ready"? Mine has a fresh water female adapter on it to attach a garden hose

thanks

Bill

wing15601
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/14 - 9:22 AM

If you go to a DIY car wash you can get rid of the salt on your boat and trailer and if you wash the outside of your engine and flush it with the hose fitting you should be fine.

Edited by wing15601 on 07/30/14 - 9:23 AM
I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

WandaJane
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/14 - 10:10 AM

Thanks Wing. The car wash is a great idea. The fitting is good enough for the motor? No need for muffs too?

Bill
aka-wandaJane

tedious
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/14 - 11:55 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Bill, you could use both the flush fitting and the muffs, if you want to be fussy about it. I assume you'll be running in fresh water when you get home - that would work just as well.

Not picking on you, but as a primarily salt water boater these days, it's always surprising to me when fresh water guys think the motor is going to disintegrate at the first whiff of salt. It won't, honest - my big Yamaha has been on a mooring in salt for 10 years, and the only time it sees fresh is when I flush it at the end of each season.

However, if your trailer is not galvanized you'll want to rinse it very carefully.

Tim

Bob Younger
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/14 - 12:53 PM
Personal Page

Believe it or not the Houston/Galveston area in January can be quite 'cool', water temps will be in the 60's. Normally the wind is from the Northwest which blows water out of the bay which has an average depth of 12'. A wind of 15 knots can whip this shallow bay with a nasty chop. Look at fishing one of the sub-bays where there is some protection. Galveston Bay is really comprised of several 'bays', Trinity, Galveston, East,West, Chocolate to name some. I would plan on NOT going out into the Gulf in a 15 footer, weather that time of year can change on a dime. Research it carefully (i.e. check with guides) so you have a good time.

I live in Missouri City (neighbor of Sugar Land) and fish Chocolate Bayou/Bay, there are protected spots no matter what the wind and some good ramps around. Can't get into some places during the Winter because of the North winds (too shallow).

WandaJane
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 5:51 AM

Great replies all. Thank you. I can deal with "cool" of the Texas gulf versus "frigid" of Minnesota heartland.

If it is a very calm day I might take a quick dart out in to the gulf, just to say I did it. A 5 minute romp perhaps.

Bill

Now I just need to convince my wife pulling the boat 1800 miles is a good idea.

Bob Younger
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 11:50 AM
Personal Page

I'd sugget using a car for pulling the boat; otherwise the wife might be too pooped to have any fun :)

bcoastal
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 4:24 PM

I fish Galveston Bay year around. January is about the worst time of the year for weather. Plan on trailering the boat around depending on the wind direction. Best bet would be west bay and off the intercoastal.

spuds
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/05/14 - 1:16 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

What the other Texas Whaler guys said....

First week of January is the big boat show at NRG Hall (formerly Reliant). I believe it is the biggest boat show outside of Miami. Even if you aren't in the market for a new boat, it is worth your while to walk through the myriad of booths and talk with some folks to get a better idea what you are facing.

Even though in Southeast Texas we can boat all year round, doesn't necessarily mean we can go every weekend. That time of year can be very tenuous on getting out. Even though it is a lot more temperate than you are used to, the water is still chilly enough that it doesn't take long for hypothermia to set in if you should have a problem.

I would also recommend buying a Hook-setter map for the Galveston Bay complex to study. It will show the shallow water reefs that you need to avoid. Even during the summer with generally higher tides, there are a lot of reefs where you will run aground.

One suggestion for an area to go, is the Clear Lake area. It is a saltwater lake and an inlet off of Galveston Bay. It is more protected and will allow you to get out more when most of the rest of Galveston Bay is too rough.

Lastly, I don't recommend trying to run out in the Gulf in a 15 footer unless we've just had a norther blow through and knock the offshore waters flat. Even then, be very careful as the jetty chop can be treacherous.

Having said all that, it is great when you do get that ice cream 70° day in January or February and you can get the Whaler out. You come back home to post a report on WhalerCentral what a great day you've had, and you realize everyone else up north is complaining about having to shovel snow! :^D

1985 Outrage 18

jvz
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/05/14 - 2:14 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

You would have more fun in a 15, dropping in North Padre (packery channel) and cruising the Intercoastal as mentioned...

Wait 5min and the weather will change....

WandaJane
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08/11/14 - 8:00 PM

Thank you again for all the input. Such a smart group!

Nest visit to Craigslist is then for fishing tackle

my best,

Bill

Flounder
#12 Print Post
Posted on 01/31/15 - 11:23 AM
Personal Page

How did it go? Did you bring the Whaler down to Galveston?

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 27, 2024 - 3:55 PM
Users Online
Welcome
sbfarrelly
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,026
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,112,584 unique visits