View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Pedestal seat mounting
cajunman
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/07/05 - 6:29 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

joe/all,

i've seen a couple of pics of pedestal seats mounted to the anchor locker on the Montauk. Questions, is there anything else done to beef up the locker cover, or is it strong enough as is?,, do you need to add a latch to keep cover closed?,, is the locker still fairly accessible?
tks
rich

link
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/07/05 - 8:25 AM

Comments: 0

I've had a pedestal on my anchor locker for 2 years now and haven't had any problems with strength. If you have the original cover I would remove it and use a piece of plywood untill you decide if you like it. We found there wasn't enough room on the front and it was slippery. The person on the front pedestal slipped off the front deck once in awhile. That's why I extended the deck.
http://www.mts.net/~larpayne/
Look under Montauk mods.
Larry

Edited by Joe Kriz on 11/07/05 - 8:38 AM

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/07/05 - 8:55 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

The original pedestal seats mounted on a Hi-Rise bracket on the front of the bow locker bulkhead. There is a photo of the original seat in the OEM parts photo section on this site:
http://whalercentral.com/photogallery...?photo=282
and the bracket is there also:
http://whalercentral.com/photogallery...?photo=283

I have also repaired the bow locker cover (which didn't have a brace underneath) where a pedestal seat was mounted. All that is really needed is to add another brace (a piece of mahogany) under the bow locker to accomodate the mounting bolts. It seems to be very substantial now. You can still get in and out of the bow locker relatively easy as long as the pedestal itself is not too high.

[img]http://users.sisqtel.net/blewis/Montauk/front-seat.jpg[/img]

Having said the above, Boston Whaler recomended something to the affect of 'Do not use the seat while underway'. I think if you use the seat for fishing or lounging as intended, there should be no problem.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 11/07/05 - 8:31 PM

cajunman
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/07/05 - 6:39 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

thanks larry and joe,

i had seen the seat for the Lewis' boat,, so Joe, you did the repair? How thick of a piece of mahagony did you use? Being an old carpenter,,That's the route i was thinking would be best also, along with replacing the screws on the hinges with stainless thru bolts.

My Montauk has a live well (kodiak) mounted just forward of the cooler location , (between the step up for the anchor locker and the cooler) so room is limited and i need to mount the pedestal similar to the Lewis picture to allow room for a 360 pivot.

We will only use this seat for fishing once arriving at our choice spot, no traveling allowed. Grin

Final still unanswered question, i had read another suggestion of installing a latch for the anchor locker to help to secure the hold rig. Is this necessary? Doesn't seem like a bad idea, but i could be missing something,
thanks again for all the advice,, Great Board

rich
the ragin cajun (transplanted to SoCal)
Cool

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 9, 2024 - 5:06 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Fman594
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,064
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,334,811 unique visits