View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
What have you done to prevent fires on your boat
gchuba
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/14 - 9:51 PM

Comments: 0

Recently Tom Blinstrub started a thread concerning his circuit wiring and interesting info came up. Some addressed fire protection. I did a little followup research using BOAT.US information (via insurance investigations).

Causes of fire were: AC/DC wiring/appliance 55%; Engine/transmission overheat 24%; fuel leak 8%; misc. 7%; unknown 5%; stove 1%

Of the 55% AC/DC fires (these percentages equal the 55%): DC shorts 30%; engine voltage regulator 12%; AC heater 4%; AC appliance 4%; AC wiring panel 2%; DC charger 2%; AC power surge 1%.

So, as I look at these stats, I was amazed that the culprit in 44% of boat fires was the DC system. The majority of the DC shorts involved the battery and bilge pumps. Joe Kriz in Tom B's thread eloquently defined the wiring difference of the starting and running of the motor vs the accessory electrical. Interesting enough Lightbulbbill recently "threaded" the need for new wiring for his motor because of a meltdown. I would like to definition for "chaffed" wires to include wire separations at butt connections, connections to accessories that fail (fall off) as well as the worn wire that rubs/shorts on a sharp metal corner. Basically a "chaff" is an exposed hot wire.

Early in my life I had an inherent disrespect for a 12 volt (old enough for 6 volt) systems. I was installing 8 tracks and FM radios in vehicles in high school. I would determine the "hot wire" by touching the cluster on my tongue. I somehow carried this disrespect (that zing in my tongue could not start a fire) until I managed 3 12 volt fires. In each instance they could have been avoided (too cheap for a designated battery with a tight and clean connection, too sloppy by leaving a "hot" 12 volt wire with electrical tape on the end, human error by not hearing the starter disconnect). My boat is a different story.

I have a 1979 22ft Revenge. I moved my battery from the stern to the cuddy cabin (center console in similar hulls) and now have two batteries. How am I preventing a DC fire?
-my bilge pumps wire, as well as my kicker motor's harness is under my gunnels instead of the rigging chamber co-mingling with the 12 volt heavy gauge cable.
-I am cinching up my wires to prevent flopping
-a factory original access for wires from starboard to port was through a metal tube and I re-routed underneath a step, free of metal contact
-happy I left a circuit breaker intact for my fuse panel in the cuddy (closer to the battery does afford greater protection)
-all my hot leads are with tinned wire with shrink sealed fittings
-fuse protection throughout with spare fuses and knowledge where they are.
-a brand new harness for my motor (repowered with an 2009 E-tec). My original was not a harness, just individual wires in a jacket going to the motor for the 1980 235hp Evinrude.

Some of the boats have buried inaccessible wiring. Old wiring with questionable connectors. Try starting or use an accessory and feel the wire. If hot to touch, upgrading in order.

gchuba

Edited by gchuba on 04/21/14 - 6:01 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 9:34 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 23
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.12 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,071,340 unique visits