View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
To Bimini with my 16'?
The revenge
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/14 - 11:51 AM

Comments: 0

So I'm installing my home made electric system into this little boat I've been fixing up. I paused for a moment and think of how the project has come along in the six months. Then I think of how much fun this boat is going be on the water. Then I get the idea of an adventure and tell the little boat we're going to Bimini. I immediately start thinking of who would be fun to take with me.
I go out to dinner last night with friends and family. In the middle of dinner I announced I'm going to take the Whaler to Bimini. Who wants to go? I received all kind of responses, none even close to anyone wanting to go. Even my fiancé/first mate who is a boating trouper will have no part of it. The two of us have boated extensively together to include cruising and staying on our other boat for two weeks through the Abacos.
So far my step son has finally expressed an interest.

Anyone else run their Whalers over to the Bahamas?

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z2...3fb146.jpg

(moderator note: [IMG] does not work in the forum areas. Use the "Direct" link from photobucket)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 02/02/14 - 12:36 PM

bkg979
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/14 - 12:12 PM

Comments: 1

Where are you leaving from in FL? I was just curious. My father used to work for whaler in the 70's & 80's, and he would make long runs. Say, from Boston to Miami. I'm from Texas, and we don't have the luxury of cruising out to islands. If you go, stay safe and have fun!

The revenge
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/14 - 12:45 PM

To Bimini I would leave from Ft Lauderdale. It's roughly 50 miles. Stay at the Bimini Big Game Club.
Snorkel, fish, and just hang out at Bimini for a day or two.
When I go to the Abacos I leave from West Palm and go to West End first, it's 52 miles. Check in, clear customs then it's 100 miles or so around the north side of the Bahamas to the Abacos.

Boston Whaler has a rendezvous at Bimini every June. Just stumbled on it online. Last year smallest Whaler was a 23' Conquest. Sounds like fun. I'll miss it this year, I chartered a boat from the Moorings in the BVI's this June.

http://www.bostonwhaler.com/page.aspx/pageid/48950/page.aspx

Edited by The revenge on 02/02/14 - 12:46 PM

FlyAU98
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/03/14 - 3:53 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I watched a couple locals leave Bimini on a 13' Whaler...can come back hours later with a bunch of Domino's Pizzas....they claimed they went all the way to Miami for 'em...

So yea...you can do it.

Summertime when the seas are smaller...

Whalerbob
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/14 - 3:51 PM
Personal Page

Wait for a good weather window in June/July with some flexibility on what day you come home and you should be okay. I've done it a bunch of times from FLL on a friends 24cc but nothing smaller. It's about a 3 hour crossing so fairly easy to pick a window but we've had some thunderstorms come off land on the way home a couple times that we had to plow through but nothing too serious.
If you go you should consider camping on Gun Kay / Honeymoon harbor about 12 miles south of Bimini. There's wood on the island for camp fires and you can setup your tent right there on the beach for free. Watch out for scorpions while gathering wood and last time a giant pig raided or camp/food in the middle of the night, that was interesting.

bob camire
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/14 - 6:02 AM

Comments: 4

sounds like a great adventure.. i would want another boat crossing over with me, personally ..the comraderie would be great..from up here id have to approach the bermuda triangle ...hmmmmm

2006 Dauntless 160, 115 HP Merc 4 Stroke, 2012 Venture Trailer

bob camire
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/14 - 6:03 AM

Comments: 4

sounds like a great adventure.. i would want another boat crossing over with me, personally ..the comraderie would be great..from up here id have to approach the bermuda triangle ...hmmmmm

2006 Dauntless 160, 115 HP Merc 4 Stroke, 2012 Venture Trailer

nowhereman
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/14 - 4:01 PM

I've taken my 17 Whaler across on several occasions. Actually been as far as Georgetown, Exuma on trip from West Palm. Watch the weather carefully and plan your crossings very early. Afternoon crossings not always a great idea. Epirb, lots of flares, water, extra fuel are all a great idea. Having another boat or two along helps as well. On my longer trips. I've rented a sat phone for extra insurance.

BobParks
#9 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/14 - 6:31 PM

Once I buy a 17 - 18 foot Whaler I will absolutely go.

I have talked about this for years. I met a guy that worked at Lauderdale marina and we were planning a trip a few years back. At the time we decided June was the best month, leave at 6:00AM out of Ft. Lauderdale in his Dauntless 22.

My wife at the time thought I was crazy. We eventually divorced so the trip is back on. At least in the planning stage.

I follow the Whaler trip to Bimini every year and show my new wife pictures of the trip.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 12:34 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,506,948 unique visits