View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Why am I restoring a boat?
gchuba
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/19/14 - 8:17 AM

Comments: 0

I just read a reply from Rhenium in "My 1974 Boston Whaler 13". A tear welled up in my eye. It had me reflect on why am I restoring an old boat. For me, it has several parts and for the record, I am a nostalgic old fool.

My parents are no longer with me. Growing up my father owned a small tackle shop in Pequannock, New Jersey, called "Fishermans Den". As a child I remember early morning wake ups, jump in the truck with his buddy Arty, and off to the Jersey shore. There we would rent a 16 foot aluminum hull with tiller steering and into the Atlantic we would go. At times he would let me steer the boat with him. I also remember my whining when a big party boat would go by and I wanted to be on the bigger boat. Now that I am older, I wonder what was in the minds of the fishermen in the party boat, passing this little dinky thing with a father letting his kid steer it. I always loved the marinas, especially the derelict hulls in the yard, because I could vision them on the water. The tackle shop did not last (even in the fifties and sixties small shops could not compete with big box). Then high school, girls, sports, college, grad school, no fishing. Then hitch hike to California.

I ended up at the Sausalito waterfront (teaching in a high school or heroin detox counseling at the Haight Ashbury clinic in San Francisco was not for me). A very interesting place back then. Anchor-outs living on boats and a host of one man shops. A hand shake was a binding contract (not that great, there were still lawyers and flim-flam men, wait a minute, I already said lawyers). Your resume on the waterfront had hand designations. "Jouneyman hands" meant folks would hope you would work for them, "hands" always employable at a great cash wage, "hands but..." had hands but something not quite right, "green hands" the most sought after. A willingness to work and learn at 1/4 of the journeymans wage. I started as "green hands" and I am still learning. Everyone would hire and work with every one else. Carpenters, mechanics, welders, boat builders, etc... . A co-mingling of trades and respect for professions. Much coffee drunk and watching what the other fellow was doing and lending a hand (also a beer or two at "Smittys). Then marriage, house, kid.

This is my first boat restoration. I have a restoration resume including tractors, motors, machinery, wood structures and landscapes. I think that little kid who was at his first marina, looking at the stripped derelict hull, always wanted to renew old stuff.

So "Why am I restoring a boat"? Because I think of my parents and they are with me out on the water (the boat was christened "JoeAnne Too" named for my father and mother). Because I re-acquaint myself with the remnants of the waterfront life (workshops are now studios and Smittys is now a college hang out). Because when working in the evening with Frank at Werners Welding, Gordie Nash (boat builder) or Jon Mair (wood worker), or any of the old crowd walks by and they want to lend a hand and we reminisce. Because my wife comes on the boat and sees a sunset. Because my son is on the boat fishing with me and he is questioning the need for college (a talented kid with a full scholarship to Boston University) and he decides to stay in school, not because of me convincing, but because he is looking over the water.

My finished boat is going to have flaws. Non structural screw holes in wood are not going to be plugged, my gel coat will show repairs without a perfect blend, among any of a number of other things that are not safety or structurally related. They were part of the early life of the boat. I have any number of scars and dinks on my body and I do not get cosmetic surgery, but I do get a hair cut and dress nice. My wife says I clean up well for "special events". This boat is my "special event" but it is allowed to have a dink or two and maintain the dignity of an earlier life.

Is this topic appropriate for this venue. I do not know. Is it written by a Greenwich Village hitch hiking "free thinker". You bet. When I read the forum and read of a fellow remembering his grandfather, or see the smiles on the crew of a New Years boat ride. That is why am restoring a boat and I get the sense that a majority fellows on this forum have a inner feeling for what they are doing. It is a blast.

gchuba 1979 22 foot Boston Whaler Revenge

Edited by gchuba on 01/19/14 - 8:21 AM

sraab928
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/19/14 - 8:43 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

Thank you for sharing - I enjoyed your story.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

Ron Mazcko
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/19/14 - 9:03 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 13

This the the most heart felt story I've ever read on this site. I think most of us have been touched by some of your feelings.

Really, thanks for sharing.

Ronald Mazcko

Stellers Garage
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/19/14 - 11:10 AM
Personal Page

Thank you Sir, that was a pleasure to read! Thanks for sharing.

Silentpardner
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/19/14 - 12:43 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Is this topic appropriate for this venue. I do not know.

I certainly think it is! Great story, and very well written :)

huckelberry145
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/19/14 - 12:56 PM

Comments: 3

Yes, a tear welled up in my eye, both threads. Thanks for sharing.

Jim R
#7 Print Post
Posted on 01/19/14 - 4:13 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your post very much.

Ibex81
#8 Print Post
Posted on 01/19/14 - 11:56 PM

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

VA Whaler
#9 Print Post
Posted on 01/20/14 - 11:58 AM
Personal Page

Great post Garris. Thanks!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
June 2, 2024 - 1:33 AM
Users Online
Welcome
BamaWhaler170
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 78
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,157
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,359
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 84,188,022 unique visits