View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
New member with new outrage
Doug V
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/16/05 - 8:15 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Hello,

I am relatively new to this site. I have been lurking here for a couple of months and thought I should introduce myself. My name is Doug Vazquez and I live in the south Puget Sound area.

Today I just sold my 1965 Sadonnet which I have owned for 15 years. Also today, I just learned that the boat I have been working on buying for a while is now one step closer to being in my garage, maybe by next weekend. It is Joel Smith's 22 Outrage, No Risk. Needless to say, I have been having trouble sleeping the past couple of weeks. I should have her ready to fish soon, just in time for some winter blackmouth action on Hood Canal.

I am looking forward to contributing where and when I can. Joe, I will get the HIN information to you soon, hopefully in a coupld of weeks. If anyone wants to see No Risk, go to the personal page of Joel Smith. It is a real sweet boat.

Doug

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/16/05 - 8:18 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Doug,

Good to hear from you.
What a great boat you bought not to mention the one you are selling.
I had a Montauk for 15 years before I moved up to the Outrage 18'..

Good Luck with the new Outrage 22'...

Doug V
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/16/05 - 8:49 PM
Personal Page

Thanks Joe,

I am really looking forward to it. Hopefully, by this time next week, I will be sitting in the boat with a really silly grin on my face. My borther in law has been doing that for about 2 months now.

He just bought a 25 Outrage in late August, and has been slowly getting her ready for the water. He has been really busy at work, so it has been a slow go for him.

I helped him put together couple of teak console covers, one for the port side of the helm on the 40" super console and one to cap the top of the electronics box. The original rigging had mounted almost all the electronics scattered all over the console, so we patched the holes and used the teak to dress her up some. It turned out pretty nice, if I don't say so myself. Once we get the boats situated nicely, I will try to upload some pictures to a gallery or personal page.

Doug

Mike
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/17/05 - 12:26 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 1

Welcome to WhaleCentral Doug.

That's a beautiful boat you bought! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures in the new boat and some from the Sakonnet too.

Mike

Hey Joe,
Nice signature with the fly and line. How'd you do that?

Also just where is Upstate California - any where near Northern California? Shock

Edited by Mike on 10/17/05 - 12:27 PM

Doug V
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/17/05 - 7:11 PM
Personal Page

Mike,

I look forward sharing stories and ideas with other Whaler owners.

The Sakonnet was an oldie, but a goodie. I bought it 15 years ago. I had owned a smirkless 13 and a 15 Striper, both of which I had gone through from stem to stern. I will not go so far as to say I restored them, but I did spend quite a bit of time on both of them to make them presentable.

When I went to look at the Sakonnet, it was in a little rougher shape than I wanted to buy, but it fit my budget perfectly. As I walked around it, kicking the tires so to speak, I realized that even though the bottom was a little rough, and there were a couple of not to well done patches, it was a very serviceable and stout old boat. I decided to buy it and "maintain it in present condition".It was not as shiny and pretty as a couple of my friends newer Montauks, but it did exactly the same thing their boat did.

My kids were raised in that boat. I have been 25 miles off the coast of Washington in that boat, chasing the wiley coho, and listened to the sound of freighters approaching in the fog on the edge of the shipping lanes in the Straits of Jaun de Fuca. It was a fine boat for me.

A couple from San Francisco bought the boat. I am towing it to work tomorrow for the last time, as the new owners (a young family of 4, just like our family was when I bought it) are on their way back from a holiday in Seattle. They will pick it from me on their way south on I-5. The Whaler history continues......

I will get a picture of the new owners with the boat before they leave. He is present at Continuous Wave, user name garagescience. It will be interesting to continue hearing about the boat after it gets to San Francisco.

My wife hopes they will appreciate it, as do I. I am sure he will. He grew up with a 1965 Nauset, in Massachusetts.

The Outrage will probably be the last boat I buy (except if I downsize sometime in my twilight years, back to a 15 Striper maybe). I look forward to my children acquiring this boat some day. I wish this week would pass quickly, because I continue having a hard time sleeping, thinking about that Outrage!

Sorry for the long post, but if anyone can understand, you guys can.
Doug Vazquez

Doug V
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/22/05 - 11:29 PM
Personal Page

Good evening all,

I just came in from puttering with the new to me Outrage 22. I got the boat home at about 5 PM from Eugene, Oregon. It was a very unevently tow home. The trailer tows like a dream.

The bad new is, I can't get the boat in the shop. The good news is, I can get it under the carport beam, if I lower all the antennas as flat as they will go. I used the John Deere 855 with a 2" ball on the custom hitch my brother in law Matt and I built (he is a gooood welder). If I raise the tongue jack all the way up, then lower the 3 point hitch allllll the way down, it will just squeek in under the beam. The carport clearance is 10'8", the shop door is a hair under 10'.

I think I would like to try to set up the trailer with either torsion spring axles or changing the straight spindles to drop spindles. I will have to do some more measuring and then some research, but it may still be possible to get it in the shop. Even if I can't get 8" lower, it would make for a lot less margin for error if I can get 4" to 6" lower for getting into the carport.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Doug

aquaman
#7 Print Post
Posted on 10/24/05 - 10:05 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Doug,

Great looking boat, maybe you and your bro in law could bring the boats to the NW Rendevous next year. It would be nice to have several other big Outrages in attendence...

Good luck,

John

Jeff Cunningham
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/25/05 - 4:03 PM
Personal Page

Congrats on your new boat Doug.

My new to me 1989 20' Outrage and my buddies 1984 18' Outrage are planning to be at the NW Rendevous next year. It was only about 1/2 mile from my house this year.

-Jeff

aquaman
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10/25/05 - 5:10 PM
Personal Page

Jeff,

I was over at Blake Island last summer and saw a couple of families with Whalers camped on the beach. Was that you?

John

Doug V
#10 Print Post
Posted on 10/25/05 - 7:12 PM
Personal Page

Thanks for the compliments, all,

I bet we could make it to the rendevous next year. It would be fun to see a lot of Whalers in one place. Are any plans floating yet, like locations, dates, etc?

Doug

Jeff Cunningham
#11 Print Post
Posted on 10/25/05 - 8:18 PM
Personal Page

John,

That was my family in the Montauk (before the Outrage) and my friend in his 18' Outrage. That was our second trip of the year. The first time we had them both tied to my 8lb. anchor and at 9:30PM the wind kicked up and the boats began to drag forcing me to swim about 100ft to them as they were drifting towards the rocks. We saved the boats with some help and ultimately a bigger anchor.

The second time we chose to put them in the marina for the weekend.

Hope to see you there next summer as we plan going quite a bit.

-Jeff

aquaman
#12 Print Post
Posted on 10/25/05 - 8:35 PM
Personal Page

Jeff,

Now that you mention it there was a Montauk and an Outrage. You guys were just packing up the families and leaving when I noticed the boats down the beach. Small world...

John

Doug V
#13 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/05 - 6:21 PM
Personal Page

I was able to get the boat in the water this afternoon. What a nice ride!

I went to the Arcadia Pt. boat ramp first. It was not steep enough to get the boat off of the trailer. I have some work to do to get the boat closer to the water. I have plenty of room between the top of the tires and the bottom of the boat. I should be able to lower the boat almost 6" with a combination of possbly drop axles and/or ripping the bunks down. One thing would help, my friend Dennis noted, was that a longer tongue would help. The coupler is right at the junction between the two main side I beams. It could easily be 2-3 feet longer.

I went to the Pickering Pass boat ramp (adjacent to the Harstine Island Bridge here in Mason County). It is a nice ramp with a dock. It was plenty steep enough to get the boat off. It loaded really easily also.

The engine started and idled nicely. It planes the boat well and I was able to reach 40 MPH (on the Standard 175 C plotting GPS) at about 5200 RPM. The 15 Suzuki kicker seems like it will do the trick for the salmon troll speed this winter. The T-top worked great in the off and on showers.

Now I just need to get the trailer reconfigured to be more small boat ramp user friendly. Also, the electric downriggers are pretty high on the list.

I am really happy with the boat. Now just need to finagle more time to rig and use it.

Doug

jgkmmoore
#14 Print Post
Posted on 12/03/05 - 1:28 AM

Comments: 2

Doug- if you are just real close on your clearance, you can let some air out of your tires to clear. Should you lower your bunks to launch better, that will probably solve both problems without deflating. If you decide to extend your trailer tongue,you may want to get one of the trailer shops to fab a folding tongue so you don't have to carve up your garage door.Great time of year to buy the boat...plenty of time to getteready (oneword) for spring. Congrats. How exciting! Enjoy every moment.
Best Regards-Jeff Moore
BTW- I'm a newbie here and live in Bellevue. If you happen to be in the Seattle area, give me a call if you have any time to talk about the 22. I'm about to buy another 'smirkboat'....either an 18 or a 22 (mid 80's).Would like to get your thoughts on the 22. I'm in the B'vue phone book on 102Ave SE.

Doug V
#15 Print Post
Posted on 12/03/05 - 8:23 AM
Personal Page

Jeff,

It's good to see another northwesterner on the board. On the subject of getting the boat into the garage. I HAD to get the boat into the garage to work on an unscheduled hull repair.

I noticed water dripping out of a previously repaired area at the forward keel area. This made it pretty important to get it inside so it would dry out faster.

I had already lowered the boat by replacing the axles with drop axles and installing the axles above the springs. I also ripped an inch off the bunks. That was still not enough to get her in the garage. I had to remove all the antenna mount bases (3), remove the tongue jack (so I could lower the tongue to the pavement), and let all the air out of the tires. I have a small John Deere tractor (855) that I used the hydraulic 3 point hitch to raise the and lower the trailer tongue as needed to squeek in.

As I write this, I checked the drip pans, and the water drip has slowed way down. Since last night, the pan under the hole I cut for the raw water washdown throught hull no water in it and the pan under the keel repair area has about a teaspoon in it. I am not in a super hurry to get her in the water again, but would like to have her ready in time for some winter blackmouth fishing out in Hood Canal.

I live in Shelton. I would be happy to talk Whalers with you anytime by email or feel free to give me a call, I am in the Shelton bood also.

(Paul) Doug Vazquez

Doug V
#16 Print Post
Posted on 04/09/06 - 11:00 AM
Personal Page

The boat is out of the shop, but is on blocks while I work on the trailer. The list looks something like this now:

Replace the drain tubes, at least the stern drain sumps. I don't have very good access to these while on the trailer. The 1-1/4" splash well tubes and the bow drain need replacement also, but can wait due to the easy access while on the trailer.

Replace trailer springs. After removing the boat from the trailer to rework the bunks, I noticed that one of the springs was broken. The springs , new equalizers and bolts have been shipped, due to arrive for installation next weekend.

Install custom width bunk glides. Parts have been shipped, due this week, install next weekend.

Install brakes. I have had the brakes since November. I will install everthing before the boat goes back on the trailer.

Replace the aluminum battery box that was in the splash well. I would like to find original battery boxes, but may alter that plan as suggested by Tom Clark: go with black boxes, just use the nice kevlock straps as supplied originally.

And before I do all this I need to trouble shoot the vacuum system on the old Mercedes diesel car so the kids have transportation again.

The list goes on and on, but I'm getting closer to the water all the time.

Doug Vazquez

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 11:56 AM
Users Online
Welcome
bheemstra
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,087
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.26 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,426,423 unique visits