View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Whalers in Charleston SC
blacksmithdog
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/30/12 - 4:09 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

My wife and I wanted to go to the in the water boat show this weekend to take a look at the new Whalers. We launched on the Ashley River, crossed the Charleston harbor, and went up Shem Creek to have lunch at Red's Ice House (dog friendly!!!). After lunch we came back out of Shem Creek and made our way to the Charleston Harbor Marina where the boat show was. A few observations about the day.

Boston Whalers seem to be the predominant boat brand in the Charleston area, we saw more Whalers than any other single brand, probably 20.

While we were at Red's Ice House, I had to get up and move my boat a bit so that the Coast Guard could tie up. I guess they like Red's for lunch as well.

We arrived at the boat show by boat (the same brand as on display at the boat show), I had a Whaler hat on, but not once did a salesman ask if they could help us.

I'm 55 years old and my wife is 53. We may have been the youngest people at the boat show. The median seemed to be between 60 and 70 years old.

nowhereman
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/30/12 - 5:13 AM

Hey Blacksmithdog:

I read your comments. The whole low country has a great concentration of Whalers, and I enjoyed your comment about the boat show. Times have changes in the boating business. It used to ben a fun process to buy a whaler. Educated sales people talked about models, engine choices, both brand and horsepower, options, etc... We used to deal with guys that knew the brand and used one on their day off.

Nowadays with Marine Max, Bass Pro, Shopping mall boats shows; the dynamics are changing. it's about prepackaged deals, few choices, financing, and inking the deal with a guy that worked his last six months at carmax. The manufacturers are working diligently to remove the fun out of the process of owning a boat these days. As the new boston Whalers continue to look and ride more like sea rays every year, hold onto your classics and take real good care of them.

The good old days may be gone forever.

Kevin

djacksonrn
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/01/12 - 7:19 AM
Personal Page

Red's is certainly well guarded. Coasties, County Police, FIre, Chas Cty boats are aways there.....Saturday would have been a nice day for boating, I was doing the AHA Heart Walk down on the Battery and the harbor looked as flat as I can remember it.

blacksmithdog
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/01/12 - 8:05 AM
Personal Page

nowhereman wrote:
Hey Blacksmithdog:

I read your comments. The whole low country has a great concentration of Whalers, and I enjoyed your comment about the boat show. Times have changes in the boating business. It used to ben a fun process to buy a whaler. Educated sales people talked about models, engine choices, both brand and horsepower, options, etc... We used to deal with guys that knew the brand and used one on their day off.

Nowadays with Marine Max, Bass Pro, Shopping mall boats shows; the dynamics are changing. it's about prepackaged deals, few choices, financing, and inking the deal with a guy that worked his last six months at carmax. The manufacturers are working diligently to remove the fun out of the process of owning a boat these days. As the new boston Whalers continue to look and ride more like sea rays every year, hold onto your classics and take real good care of them.

The good old days may be gone forever.

Kevin

There used to be three independent Whaler dealers not too far away, North Charleston, Beaufort, and Columbia. The ones in North Charleston and Beaufort had to stop selling Whalers when the merger with Sea Ray happened, and the Sea Ray dealers took over the sales.

dan757
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/15/15 - 7:24 AM

I will be bringing another whaler to Charleston this summer. I am relocating to Charleston in late June from Northern, VA. We can't wait!

blacksmithdog
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/16/15 - 4:32 AM
Personal Page

dan757 wrote:
I will be bringing another whaler to Charleston this summer. I am relocating to Charleston in late June from Northern, VA. We can't wait!

No, not another Whaler, there's way too many down here now!!!!!!!

Dan, I'll contact you off line if your e-mail address is in your profile, if not, contact me and we can talk about where to boat down here.

jgsloan7
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/16 - 7:48 PM

Blackdogsmith, are you till located in Charleston? New to the forum but have lived on James island my whole life. I only ask because I saw the whaler rendezvous thread, and was wondering if you ever got anything together?

bradsc
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/15/16 - 4:50 AM
Personal Page

I would be interested in a Charleston Whaler Rendezvous! That would be cool!

BBQ Boy
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/02/16 - 4:55 PM

1977 Montauk 17 restored. I live in West Ashley.

Al Grain
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/02/16 - 6:20 PM

BBQ Boy wrote:

Dagnabbit Michael I can't go anywhere on the internet without bumping into you.

By the way I keep seeing your dad and brother when I'm out on my paddleboard, they think I'm crazy.

1986 Montauk 17 w/ Yamaha 90 in West Ashley.

Cheers,
Alex

BBQ Boy
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/02/16 - 8:40 PM

Al Grain wrote:
BBQ Boy wrote:

Dagnabbit Michael I can't go anywhere on the internet without bumping into you.

By the way I keep seeing your dad and brother when I'm out on my paddleboard, they think I'm crazy.

1986 Montauk 17 w/ Yamaha 90 in West Ashley.

Cheers,
Alex

Ha!!!!!!!! Stalker. My brother actually told me that you and him spoke as you paddle boarded by his house. Which 90hp is on your boat? 4Stroke? If so, I want to take her for a txt drive. I am considering re-powering and I am in limbo on which motor and HP to go with. I have a 115 optimal now.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 2:35 AM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,281,441 unique visits