View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Nautical Lumber issue
Jay Fitz
#21 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/12 - 7:39 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Phil T wrote:
While this is a frustrating experience, I would like to remind all members that name calling and derogatory comments are not constructive.

While it is appropriate to discuss service problems with a vendor, disputes between the customer and the vendor should be addressed between the parties directly. WhalerCentral is not a forum for mediating disputes.

Sometimes the only recourse, or the only way to get a vendor to reply, is to bring the issue to the masses and get attention that way. This also gives the vendor a chance to tell his side and/or correct the issue in a public way. In general, if it is handled properly, both sides come out OK and any "bad press" is quashed.

This happens on almost all forums in all industries. But, in agreement with Phil, it should always be handled in a constructive, professional way.

ranag71
#22 Print Post
Posted on 05/29/12 - 12:54 AM

Looks really interesting but I am guessing that there should be a reason to it and one that would merit an explanation for the whole thing. I have been getting something really steady and important so it works really good for me but would likely budge to the idea when something real comes up to the occasion.

lkftmp
#23 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/13 - 8:12 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Man do I wish I had read all of the comments about Nautical Lumber before ordering a teak door for my 1983 Outrage. It has been months since I ordered the door, which I paid for in full. Still I have not received the teak door. I talked to Mike S. the owner of Nautical Lumber on several occasions but it does not help. He agrees to fill the order but it does not happen. So does any one have any suggestions on how to go about getting an order out of Nautical Lumber before requesting a refund? (and having to go through that process)

Larry -- frustrated in Tacoma

Tom W Clark
#24 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/13 - 8:43 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Larry -- Yours is a common complaint. Your best bet is to apply loud, public and persistent pressure on Mike, who is perfectly capable of turning out nice product, but until a customer threatens to out him publicly, he will be very happy to continue to sit on your money and do nothing for you.

Joe Kriz
#25 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/13 - 11:00 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

We have current Sponsors on our site in the upper right sidebar for a reason.
Nautical Lumber is no longer a Sponsor of this site.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 06/14/13 - 11:08 PM

Silentpardner
#26 Print Post
Posted on 06/15/13 - 7:06 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Oh Boy, I didn't see this either....oh no :(

Joe, when did Nautical Lumber lose it's sponsorship? I have a LOT of wood (complete Outrage 18 set) ordered...he also has my old gunnel rails...

Edited by Silentpardner on 06/15/13 - 7:23 AM

Joe Kriz
#27 Print Post
Posted on 06/15/13 - 6:43 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Joe, when did Nautical Lumber lose it's sponsorship?

July, 2012

Buckda
#28 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/13 - 10:16 AM
Personal Page

This is sad news - Mike's workmanship is second to none.

wannabe
#29 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/13 - 3:16 PM

He did some rod holders for me earlier this year in a timely manner. But of course, I am only 80 miles from him.

Drew
1988 Outrage 18 - 1988 Yamaha 130 hp

Binkie
#30 Print Post
Posted on 06/17/13 - 12:29 PM
Personal Page

If a supplier or parts builder has a bad reputation, and you want to buy his product, and it is a stock item, then unless you can go to his place of business and pick it up, and pay for it in entirety at that time, then the best way of doing business with that entity is to have him list it in
E-Bay as a "buy it now", and pay with it through Pay pal that is based on your credit card. If he doesn't ship the item, you have some recourse through Pay pal and your credit card. Of course he will have to pay a small amount to E-Bay, but that s the price to pay for a bad reputation. If it is custom work you need done and he wants a down payment, good luck, I would find someone with a better reputation.

He is a member here, as I have seen his posts and threads, apparently he doesn't care anymore.

Rich

jamesgt727
#31 Print Post
Posted on 06/17/13 - 12:55 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I purchased my base interior from Mike, and it was during his major business relocation. All I asked for was a few emailed pictures (which my interior was custom and easy to ID) and he happily sent them. He was behind schedule, but for the most part, when I needed it he got it shipped. I would send him emails to communicate, seemed to work well for me. Good luck, he seems like a good, but busy guy. Keep on him and you will get your order.

As a side note, when I take my boat out in public, the first compliments go straight to the interior. He is the one who built it. Before Mike, I had a custom interior made for my 9' Tender by a local high-end custom furniture shop, and I paid twice what I would have paid by purchasing through Mike. Mike! Here comes another order! Have faith guys, he does good work. Just call or email.

Edited by jamesgt727 on 06/17/13 - 6:50 PM

Silentpardner
#32 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/13 - 5:29 PM
Personal Page

The quality of Mike's work is the reason I selected him for my interior. I did make contact with him last week after reading this, he is "snowed under" with work, I expect that this should be expected when you consider the quality of his craftsmanship. I was able to contact him via email, he then called me back.

I have other delays in my Outrage 18 project anyway right now, and I still have to get that whaler 27 FC down here from WI, so I have plenty of other stuff to think about. I am in the middle of my busiest season of the year in my business, so I am having trouble getting away to direct that Outrage 18 refit, and I can't get enough time to go get the 27. I have been busy purchasing all the needed rigging and tackle for the 27 conversion from freshwater to saltwater use, and I bought a new tow vehicle to go get the 27 with, a Ford F-350 SuperDuty 4X4 with camper package and gooseneck/class5 towing package also. I have been busy also, so I understand Mike's problem intimately.

kamie
#33 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/13 - 11:25 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Mike is not the first and won't be the last craftsman who started selling to the Whaler community as a side business and had their primary business take off or has been unable to keep up with demand. How the individual handles the communication with customers will go a long way toward how the whaler community responds.

lkftmp
#34 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/13 - 5:13 PM
Personal Page

The Teak door arrived today and it is beautiful. Workmanship is outstanding and it looks great on my 1983 Outrage. In my opinion Whaler Central should consider Nautical Lumber as a sponsor , providing the customer issues could be smoothed out a bit. The workmanship alone on his products would benefit Whaler Owners.

Larry - Tacoma

Edited by Joe Kriz on 06/24/13 - 5:31 PM

blacklab
#35 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/14 - 4:51 PM

I always wonder why people are so willing to pay in full up front. If a contractor requires this, it can only mean that his credit must be poor. A few board feet of wood or whatever can't cost that much....builders build homes with significantly less up front and there is even an escrow amount at the end. If a contractor is that hard up for money, it tells you all you need to know. A payment plan is equitable, and keeps the business owner aware of the flow of projects ahead of him. It also forces a contact between the parties.

Matthew
1972 Cohasset II

Super Sporter
#36 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/14 - 6:45 PM
Personal Page

Mike is a stand up guy and work very closely with me on my 1986 13 Super Sport.
total restoration.
I brought it to him in Feb 2014 and he said Late May or early June. That is exactly what he did.
Picked up boat Fri.
He put some much of himself into my boat and his attention to detail was exemplary.

He removed bottom paint, smoothed out hull and gelcoated. He had many hours straighteninh
out hull side till they were nice and smooth. He had a lot of issues with interior hull and smoothed eveything
out and the Awlgrip paint job is outstanding.

The Sappele Mahogany interior is a thing or beauty. The grain is beautiful and in the sun it is unbelievable.

Mike is essentially a one man business, he does have one regular employee.
He strives to be sure everything he does is right and deadlines may suffer for it, but the quality out weighs any inconvenience this may cause.

I will post pics. on my personal page once I finish the mechanicals and electrical.

Super Sporter
#37 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/14 - 6:51 PM
Personal Page

As for money. Mike is a small business and materials are not cheap and he has to pay for experienced
help.

He only asked for materials money when they were purchased and labor money when certain aspects of restoration were completed.

FYI. The mahogany he buys is over sized so he can mill it to Whaler Specs.

Silentpardner
#38 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/14 - 6:56 PM
Personal Page

Mike Stennett is a BALD FACED LIAR. I have still not received my gunnels that I removed from my whaler for him to copy for the new ones, I have still not received all of my order of new doors or screw caps for the new gunnels. I got all but one of the doors I paid for last week after having him tell me repeatedly, at least once a month, that all my order would ship the following week. This has gone on for well over a year now.

I actually have tried to purchase another set of doors for my super console from others, and in the process contacted Sue at Twin Cities, who actually pressured Stennett to send me what I have now. I don't know how she got him to do it, he would not answer any of my emails or phone calls, and his voice mail was full.

This whole thing is going to get REAL interesting soon.

He required ALL PAYMENT FOR MY ORDER AT THE TIME I ORDERED.

I don't know who that guy is supporting him above, but I DO notice he's another person from MI. I am fairly certain that Stennett wouldn't be jerking anyone around like he has done me if he thought I could pay him a visit anytime I pleased... hmmmm, now there's a thought!

Edited by Silentpardner on 06/09/14 - 7:13 PM

Steve Wunderlich
#39 Print Post
Posted on 07/12/16 - 2:46 PM

For the record and based on being a recommended supplier by another website, I ordered a new mahogany console and RPS in Feb 2015 from Mike Stennet and Nautical Lumber / Neptune Marine. Total price was $6Kish and I paid half to start and the other half to ship. I experienced the late delivery (June instead of April) and much of the lack of callbacks and other negative BS noted above. But the real issue was the console and RPS arrived unfinished with some hacks. No latches or slats on the RPS seats. No keeper blocks or rod holers or handles on the RPS seat back. Plexiglass windows. No fuel tank rod or rod holder details on lower console. The console itself was not framed or structurally anything quality like OEM. No seven coats of varnish and many plywood ends unvarnished. Missing window frame screws and gaps between it and console and the window frame snd the frame top. Upper console screws driven into lower console screws then angled on an sngle into the wood. I was deeply disappointed and get sick thinking about it. Since then I've completed the details myself and added a few coats of varnish and now it looks ok. But I wanted to leave this record and now I see that I'm not alone.

Edited by Steve Wunderlich on 07/12/16 - 3:02 PM

Perichbrothers
#40 Print Post
Posted on 07/12/16 - 8:35 PM

Steve Wunderlich wrote:
For the record and based on being a recommended supplier by another website, I ordered a new mahogany console and RPS in Feb 2015 from Mike Stennet and Nautical Lumber / Neptune Marine. Total price was $6Kish and I paid half to start and the other half to ship. I experienced the late delivery (June instead of April) and much of the lack of callbacks and other negative BS noted above. But the real issue was the console and RPS arrived unfinished with some hacks. No latches or slats on the RPS seats. No keeper blocks or rod holers or handles on the RPS seat back. Plexiglass windows. No fuel tank rod or rod holder details on lower console. The console itself was not framed or structurally anything quality like OEM. No seven coats of varnish and many plywood ends unvarnished. Missing window frame screws and gaps between it and console and the window frame snd the frame top. Upper console screws driven into lower console screws then angled on an sngle into the wood. I was deeply disappointed and get sick thinking about it. Since then I've completed the details myself and added a few coats of varnish and now it looks ok. But I wanted to leave this record and now I see that I'm not alone.

Wow that's a ton of money I'd expect it to be show quality!
TP

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 27, 2024 - 9:52 AM
Users Online
Welcome
sbfarrelly
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,026
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,107,737 unique visits