View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Nautical Lumber issue
siegrist
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/12 - 9:07 AM

Comments: 0

I read several reviews on here about Mike and Nautical Lumber before I placed my order in very early April. I was promised 4-6 weeks until delivery and now I cant get a call back from him. It seems that past customers have experienced similar treatment, but not all. I did receive a call back from him in early May, at which point he told me it was in getting painted. I'm not sure if that was truthful or just meant to pacify me.

I understand that he changed names and locations (which is truthfully making me a little more suspicious), but it seems pretty unacceptable to just get ignored after forking over a few thousand dollars for a product with a defined timeline.

Any thoughts how I should handle this from here? I don't want to go the chargeback route with the CC company (and I'm certain as a vendor that he doesn't), but at what point is that how this should be handled?

Thoughts?

Edited by siegrist on 05/21/12 - 9:08 AM

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/12 - 9:32 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I understand that he changed names and locations

Changed names?
Can you tell us what name he is using now?
The website still comes up with "Nautical Lumber"....

Here is the contact info:
http://www.nauticallumber.com/contact-uscontact-us

Not sure what is going on.
If he has moved, then maybe that is causing problems...

chrisrdoerner
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/12 - 9:50 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 12

I tend to handle those sorts of situations (one recently) in the following manner: 1) Be patient. So far it seems you have. 2) Be persistent. I call once a day or every other day past the agreed upon delivery date. 3) I do not ever return to them for anything ever.

There are too many people around willing to work hard, agree to a commitment and follow through for me to return with my hard earned money and cherished possessions to someone who is unwilling to do their best! I do mine and expect the same from others. That includes clearly communicating when problems arise that interfere with previously made agreements.

Chris Doerner
1980 Outrage 22, 1999 Mercury Optimax 200

siegrist
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/12 - 10:39 AM

From their facebook page:

"Nautical Lumber will be doing business as Neptune Yacht Refinishing. Why the name change? Neptune Yacht Refinishing better describes the scope of work we perform on a daily basis. However, We will continue selling Marine grade plywood & yacht quality lumber to our local & out of state customers. Help spread the word of our move and keep watch for more announcements!"

Edited by siegrist on 05/21/12 - 11:29 AM

siegrist
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/12 - 3:38 PM

I decided to put it in the hands of my credit card company for them to sort out.

I have been patient enough and the boating season is too short to put up with this nonsense. I have placed my order with another site sponsor that I know will deliver on time based on past experiences with them.

I'm sorry it came to this, but I truly feel that a more than patient customer (no matter how big or small ie:$$) deserves far better treatment. At the minimum they at least deserve to have their calls returned.

I wish I paid more attention to the negative feedback than I did with the positive in the first place.

69sakonnet
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/12 - 5:09 PM

good luck, Mike Shitnette took my money Jan.2011 for a locking rod box. It's 15 months later and I can't get any info from her, that;s right I said HER. and ,,,,,,,,,, Thanks Tom for your input on this????????? Rick Barnes Derry, NH

69sakonnet
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/12 - 5:25 PM

How can a merchant take money under one name then hide under another?
What's wroong with this picture

FlyAU98
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/12 - 6:11 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I had a very good experience (recently) with Specialty Marine Supply, if they make any of the stuff you need. Phone calls returned, very fast shipping...no complaints.

They are Sponsors here too...
http://www.specialtymarine.com/cart.html/cart.html

siegrist
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/12 - 6:20 PM

FlyAU98 wrote:
I had a very good experience (recently) with Specialty Marine Supply, if they make any of the stuff you need. Phone calls returned, very fast shipping...no complaints.

They are Sponsors here too...
http://www.specialtymarine.com/cart.html/cart.html

That is who I ordered from! I have had great luck with them with several orders in the past. The only reason I chose Nautical in the first place was for the authenticity in the fact that their rear storage compartment is just like the way it left the factory. Specialty's is a scaled down different version. I thought Specialties would irritate me to look at once installed, I have since altered where my irritation lies in this project.

Better to have a close to original interior than no interior at all....that's what I always saySmile

chrisrdoerner
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/12 - 6:45 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 12

[/quote]

Better to have a close to original interior than no interior at all....that's what I always saySmile[/quote]

I totally agree!

Chris Doerner
1980 Outrage 22, 1999 Mercury Optimax 200

Binkie
#11 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/12 - 6:55 PM
Personal Page

Check the other Whaler website, Initials are CW. A thread going on that is in a similar vain. Last post was as of today where the poster claims he talked to Mike yesterday, and he always returns calls.
Maybe that poster was a shill, who knows.
rich

NauticalLumber
#12 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/12 - 3:48 AM

Hello everyone,
69sak. your lockbox was shipped & I sent you a tracking #.
siegrist, did you email me?

As for the name change. The name wasn't totally changed, just added to in order to better describe what we do.

You guys know I get swamped this time of year. I try to return phone calls & emails. yes my products sometime take a little longer than expected. But im not rushing my product out the door just to make a date.

Mike@NauticalLumber.com is my email.
thanks,
Mike

NauticalLumber
#13 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/12 - 4:02 AM

siegrist wrote:
I read several reviews on here about Mike and Nautical Lumber before I placed my order in very early April. I was promised 4-6 weeks until delivery and now I cant get a call back from him. It seems that past customers have experienced similar treatment, but not all. I did receive a call back from him in early May, at which point he told me it was in getting painted. I'm not sure if that was truthful or just meant to pacify me.

I understand that he changed names and locations (which is truthfully making me a little more suspicious), but it seems pretty unacceptable to just get ignored after forking over a few thousand dollars for a product with a defined timeline.

Any thoughts how I should handle this from here? I don't want to go the chargeback route with the CC company (and I'm certain as a vendor that he doesn't), but at what point is that how this should be handled?

Thoughts?

Email me at Mike@NauticalLumber.com & I will arrange your refund for you.

Edited by NauticalLumber on 05/22/12 - 4:04 AM

egerrity
#14 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/12 - 4:54 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Wow... you cant get better PR than that.

Ed
1991 Montauk 17 - 2012 ETEC 90HP

siegrist
#15 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/12 - 5:14 AM

Mike,

As I posted earlier, I already contacted my credit card company to let them sort this out. I think after hearing you tell me in early May that it was being "painted and shipping out shortly", leaving you several voicemails with no call return calls, and seeing other people receiving the same similar silent treatment, I had no real other choice. The season is way too short for me to gamble on whether or not you were going to deliver a product to me that I paid for. If I were a much wealthier person who had this money/time to lose, I would have waited it out because your woodwork really looked incredible. After calculating the risk though based on recent threads with other customers of yours, I truthfully got concerned enough that 90 days would go by and then I would be left with no recourse from the CC company.

I'm in a seasonal line of work as well and it should never be used as an excuse for why you can't better communicate with your paying customers during your busy season. Maybe under-promising and over-delivering would be a better approach in the future.

fred s
#16 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/12 - 5:38 AM

I would think if Mike could set up a progress payment plan some of the problems wouldn't occur. An initial payment of maybe 30%, another payment after a percentage of work was completed, verified with photos, maybe another one, and balance due upon receipt of product. Could even be COD. I think he needs to do something to redeem his good name. I for one would hesitate at this time to place an order of any magnitude. Just a thought as I have no dog in this fight. Looks like he does beautiful work.

butchdavis
#17 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/12 - 6:43 AM

Let's see, a guy orders a custom made product in April, he is told four to six weeks for delivery, on 21 May (doing the math that is a MAXIMUM of seven weeks from the date of his order) he bashes the vendor and infers that the vendor has lied to him because he has failed to have his hand held and his product may be a week overdue?

Is it just me or was a little extra patience called for in this case? If I was Mike I couldn't wait to refund this guys money and put him on the sierra list.

Butch

siegrist
#18 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/12 - 6:59 AM

butchdavis wrote:
Let's see, a guy orders a custom made product in April, he is told four to six weeks for delivery, on 21 May (doing the math that is a MAXIMUM of seven weeks from the date of his order) he bashes the vendor and infers that the vendor has lied to him because he has failed to have his hand held and his product may be a week overdue?

Is it just me or was a little extra patience called for in this case? If I was Mike I couldn't wait to refund this guys money and put him on the sierra list.

I suppose that is one way to look at it. The other would be that he hasn't left me any reason to make me believe that I would actually receive anything in the next few weeks or months for that matter. Also, don't fail to take a look around and see that I'm not the only person who got nervous/frustrated/irritated by the lack of communication and lack of delivery of products paid for. A lot of things added up to making me want to bail out on this order. I'm not sure how patient you expect me to be when the project is already over the timeline (a week or even a day is over for me) and I have a family that enjoys boating together once memorial day rolls around.

All I was hoping for (feel free to ask Mike about the tone and context of my voicemails to him) was just a simple call back that would have taken 10 seconds out of his day to let me know the status of the order. I think waiting over a week for a call that never came, after a project is already overdue, is long enough to warrant a little suspicion on my end. Especially since someone a few threads down has been waiting a year a and a half for a product.

My patience ran out whether that works for you or not.

Phil T
#19 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/12 - 7:08 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

While this is a frustrating experience, I would like to remind all members that name calling and derogatory comments are not constructive.

While it is appropriate to discuss service problems with a vendor, disputes between the customer and the vendor should be addressed between the parties directly. WhalerCentral is not a forum for mediating disputes.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

siegrist
#20 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/12 - 7:19 AM

Thanks Phil.

I will exit this thread now.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 27, 2024 - 1:31 PM
Users Online
Welcome
sbfarrelly
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,026
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,110,731 unique visits