View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
the type of fishing. I used to do
Guts
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/31/12 - 5:34 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

this is not me or do I know the people in this video clip but this is the type of fishing. I used to do six months out of the year. We start getting the boat ready in early June and leave port with hundred and 75 scoops of anchovies in two live wells and a bait tank. I just thought some EU fishermen might enjoy seeing this type of fishing. We never had time to take pictures are alone video of this type of fishing because when the fish are there. You're working. This is kind of sporadic catching of albacore I've seen fish so thick you could walk on them. In this video clip they are doing something called walking them down swell, a little fast in my opinion. But maybe that's a slow is the boat could go. The guy in the corner rack, which was my position when I fish seems to know what he's doing but we didn't really slap the water like that. What you do is make your squid jig look like a squid in the water by giving and slow jerks once against trailing behind the boat which these guys are doing is a good way of losing pole or breaking your eight strand stainless wire worst-case scenario is get you had dipped underwater LOL. Everybody who fishes like this has been beat a time two. When you see your partner getting beat you take your pole and put it underneath his follow-up once he has the fish headed in an upward direction he wins. If the fish is really large like say 60+ pounds you call for gaffe in the charmer will usually jump down and gaffe him. Anyway, here's the YouTube clip for your enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlvsDY...lvsDYM0ABI

Guts/AKA/Kim

kamie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/31/12 - 6:31 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Personally, I wish all tuna fishing was done this way. It's more environmentally friendly than big nets, that scoop up tuna and everything in their path.

Guts
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/31/12 - 6:43 AM
Personal Page

the one that I don't like is draggers they rape the bottom of the ocean literally wiping and cleaning killing and throwing undesirables over which are part of the echo system

Edited by Guts on 01/31/12 - 6:43 AM
Guts/AKA/Kim

awayland
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/31/12 - 9:51 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Thanks I enjoyed that and agree they should do away with nets unless it's something that can't be hooked like shrimp or sardines.

1970 custom 16 with 1999 Merc 2 stroke 90hp

Binkie
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/31/12 - 1:31 PM
Personal Page

I recently noticed at the fish counter in my local supermarket that none of the fish for sale was caught in the USA. It was mostly all foreign oddball fish I had never heard of, or was farmed. We can't regulate the world, and regulating American netters has little impact on the worlds fish stock. As the species are eliminated, the commercial fish boats of the world, go to different areas and locate some other deepwater trash fish, harvest them and give them a nice sounding name, and they end up at our fishmarkets. Commercial fishermen are the only businessmen that will willingly put themselves out of business if not regulated.

Guts
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/31/12 - 5:36 PM
Personal Page

basically commercial fishermen are farmers of the sea. It is a dangerous business and I've been in situations where I didn't think I was go live through the night 50 foot seas and blowing at least 40 kn. I was so scared I could S____ four a week. We headed into it all night long. All of us in the wheelhouse ready to abandon ship if necessary in the morning the captain got the boat turned around. Big mistake as we're turning around well with that big swell the boat wanted to surf and the boat broached slightly enough to take everything on deck and wash it over all of our jig lines. What a mess! Needless to say this captain didn't have my respect and that was the last trip I made with him. The safest place to be in that situation is in the trough the boat tips a lot. But you're a lot safer.

Guts/AKA/Kim

spuds
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/12 - 11:22 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

Guts, glad you made it out safe, but have take issue witht the analogy that Commercials are farmers of the sea.

Farmers have to put back and replentish their harvest area or they will deplete the areas capability to produce.

It seems to me that Commerical fishermen only participate in the harvesting aspect. Just curious how Commercials are active in replentishing the oceans bounty?

1985 Outrage 18

Guts
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/12 - 9:40 PM
Personal Page

that's the beauty of the ocean spuds. They propagate. So they renew themselves. I do agree that some fishing is indiscriminate. draggers that rape the bottom. Now what about the farm raised stuff such as abalone salmon heck there even raising tuna in pins in the open ocean not to mention all the fresh water trout there are raised but I think were talking about saltwater here. I call that farming. I was using the term farmers of the ocean, just in a manner of speaking, because that's where we made our money.

Edited by Guts on 02/01/12 - 9:42 PM
Guts/AKA/Kim

Binkie
#9 Print Post
Posted on 02/05/12 - 7:39 PM
Personal Page

Comercial fishermen are not "farmers" of the see, LOL, as I see it. They are simply hunters and gatherers, actually the worlds oldest legal occupation. And they hunted and gathered most of the fish, so now I can't find any. Bummer.

Guts
#10 Print Post
Posted on 02/05/12 - 9:16 PM
Personal Page

okay, let's talk about sportfishing boats, talk about raping the ocean of fish. they fish the same spots over and over year after year after year after year. They wiped it clean. Here in California we have what they call fish samplers. These are the people that stand in the docs with a clipboard and a measuring device for the fish. I got to know what are these guys Ed ____ and he was working his way to be employed by the California Fish and game, which I'm happy to report is now a biologist with them. He told me about these people that sampled fish on a docs they are not fishing game state employees they are federal employees and are paid by the federal government. I talked to the director one time, of this organization and I told her what I thought of it. Needless to say she was not pleased with my thoughts about their statistics. What they do is supposed to get a random sampling of the fish being caught for that take other day. They're told to go to every fifth boat every second boat. It's a random number everyday. One of the days that Ed was not there, there was a gal with her fishing game shirt on, she came to my boat and wanted sample my fish. She asked me how I did and I said I had a limit she said great you had a good day. When I opened up the hatch it she saw that they were all rock cod she said oh I don't like rock cod I'll take the next boat that hits the doc. I told the director about this and she wanted the girls name which I did not divulge because it would've cost her job, no doubt. What this agency does is make recommendations to the state of California on what is endangered or what they recommend. It is up to the fishing game to make the final call. But if the fishing game does nothing at all. The federal agency will make changes in the federal manner. I guess what I'm telling you this in depth is because they can make these statistics read any way they want by not counting my fish that meant those fish were to go on the list of endangered species. It's absolute BS.... The environmental wackos are out-of-control along with other agencies of the federal government like well and not to make this political you can't blame the commercial fishermen for wiping everything out if you do that yet. The blame every fishermen and I mean every fishermen the sport boats are big offenders all for the almighty dollar for the tourist industry

I originally put in the biologists name and I'm going to remove everything but his first name. This is my reason for editing. Besides some small spelling errors

I would like to add this when I say she did not sample my fish. That's why they are endangered well that's what they're trying to prove at that point in time that rock cod were an endangered species and most of their statistics were taken on a daily basis from the sport fishing boats. You know the ones with 20 to 50 people on them. They go out twice a day. The sport fishers is what makes it difficult to catch fish. After they raped the spots, year after year for the weekend boater that goes out once a month or once in a while to have a day on the water fishing is not all commercial fishermen.

Now. I have also focused on poaching . If you've read so my post here on California abalone and lobster poaching you don't find commercial fishing boats bringing in undersized species they would lose their boat. There license their nets and the extensively fined. One of the reasons that we don't have abalone anymore is because of the sport fisher the guys on the weekend or weekday and stick these abalone to their body and then zip him up under their wetsuit,I know many people that have boasted about this. Sportfishing poachers have ruined abalone industry here in Southern California. Abalones generally grow at a good rate until they are four years old. Then there rate of growth is diminished significantly and they grow at a slower rate. Here again, it's not a commercial fisherman because they would never think of bringing in undersized abalone. Although commercial fisherman I know did absolutely nothing illegal. When it came to their fishing license. There was just too much to risk their livelihood boat license everything. The blaming of commercial fishermen for every species depletion is ridiculous. With that said, let me say I do support a 200 mile offshore ban on other countries fishing US waters.

Edited by Guts on 02/06/12 - 5:16 AM
Guts/AKA/Kim

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 11:35 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Nbish65
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,052
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,271,617 unique visits