View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1971 16'-7" Whaler
LMWhaler
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/11 - 10:54 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Hello everyone, I'm new to owning a Whaler and new to the site. I've just come into possession of a 1971, 17 foot Boston Whaler. I'm not sure of the model, It has the wooden center console, the seat has been replaced with an ice chest with backrest. There is not evidence that it had bottom paint. The boat came with an Evenrude 115HP Starflite motor, I was able to verify that it a 1971 model from the tag, and what appears to be the Evinrude push button, for tilt and trim with throttle lever. The outer hull is white, with white bumper rail protector, the interior is blue, it has some small nicks and chips in the gel coat, but otherwise it looks to be very sound. The console is very weathered and I'm not sure if I can save it, plus they have cut and drilled numerous holes in the top and front. The motor, I was told ran, until they tried to replace the impeller and could not get the tubes lined back up right. Which they attempted spring of this year. The seller is going through a divorce and didn't purse the repair any further. I want to restore the boat back to original as much as I can, however, I don't want to put the motor and controls back on, would like to go to a newer 4 stroke, because of the limitations we have in California as to what rivers and lakes 2 strokes can be on. I would think the motor and controller would be useful to someone, wanting to have everything match on an original restoration, but not quite sure where to post. I will appreciate any comments and I know I will have many more questions for you all. As I get more familiar with the site I will try to post pics to share what I have. Thanks again

spuds
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/11 - 11:12 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

I believe upgrading to a 4 stroke is a wise idea. If you're taking friends and family out, why risk endangering everyone with a breakdown?

Even though the original console is weathered and has holes, you'd be surprised how well it could possibly look refinished. If that's the direction you want to go, a new matching mahogany pilot seat is available from the sponsors of this site.

Those old hulls also look great with new fiberglass interiors as well.

Have fun and good luck.

1985 Outrage 18

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/11 - 11:44 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

You don't need a 4 stroke anywhere in California....
Don't group old 2 stroke technology with the newer 2 stroke technology.

New 2 stroke motors are just as quiet, clean burning, etc....
California allows CARB 3 rated motors on the restricted waterways and this include both 2 strokes and 4 strokes..... As long as the motor is the newer clean technology...

See this list for Current Engine Choices...
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...ticle_id=5

LMWhaler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/11 - 12:21 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Thanks for the information, that's good to know. That opens my options greatly for upgrading the motor. Any ideas as to where I might sell the 1971 motor and controls, as I mentioned not sure if it runs, but must be good for parts.

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/11 - 12:25 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

2 fairly popular choices on the list are:
1. E-Tec 90 2 stroke if you want a 90
2. Yamaha 70 4 stroke if you want a 70

I would advertise the motor on Craigs List

Sounds like you might have a Nauset model and a seat change...
Take a look at the members Personal Page section to see other similar Nausets...
http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...page_id=65

Also see our "Whaler Models and Info" link on the left sidebar for information on different models.
Here is the Nauset:
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lbum_id=17

Edited by Joe Kriz on 11/20/11 - 12:38 PM

contender250
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/11 - 2:07 PM

Comments: 0

Purchasing a new engine for the 17 I would go for the 90, If you go with the 70 by the time you load your gear and other stuff the boat will feel to slow, the 90 is the way to go.......

Joe Kriz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/11 - 2:31 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

I have to disagree with that statement...

I owned a Montauk for 15 years with an Evinrude 70 on it...
Only a couple of times I wished I had a 90 and that was smooth water only...

Many, Many people have 70 hp on their 16/17 models and like the performance.

If I purchased another Montauk I would want either engine on it I listed above in post #5.

If a person water skis a lot then the 90 might be a better choice although I skied behind mine without any problems but I am not a professional water skier by any means....

Norcalfish80
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/24/11 - 10:23 PM

Comments: 0

I have a 75 E-tec on a 17 foot Whaler Montauk and it runs great, although I'm sure 90 would be great too.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 7:55 AM
Users Online
Welcome
oddbald
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,051
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,269,009 unique visits