View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Trip to Tred Avon River on Eastern Shore of Chesapeake
NJjohnmontauk17
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/04/11 - 6:52 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Last Sunday, after the snow blew throught the Northeast, the wife & I trailered the Montauk to Easton, MD & put in at the ramp at Easton Point Marina. It is one of the Talbot County MD public ramps. It was sunny but in the low 50's with a N wind of about 15kts. Probably pushed the weather envelope a bit with the boss but she's a trooper.

We cruised down the Tred Avon to Oxford, MD, with side trips into many tributaries, Peachblossom Creek, Trippe Creek, Dixon Creek, etc. These are much more than a "creek", with plenty of deep water & estate homes that blow you away. I always wondered who bought the Hinckley picnic boat, and it seems they are a staple on the Tred Avon.

While in Oxford we tied up at Hinckley yard (which is closed on Sunday so nobody seemed to mind), and had lunch at the Robert Morris Inn, that dates back to the 1700's. Walked through Oxford, (which takes only 30 minutes) which was preparing for the kids Halloween parade that afternoon. Its a nice town that if it had no cars, could be dropped right back into the 1700's.

By the afternoon the wind had died down a bit so we cruised back up to Easton and back on the trailer.

We might try to do the Nanticoke River before Thanksgiving, or it might have to wait until next year.

mtown
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/11 - 5:52 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

If you have not already done it you can enjoy the same kind of trip by trailering to Chester river and end up for lunch at Chestertown. From NJ it is probably 2 hours less driving also.

NJjohnmontauk17
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/07/11 - 6:15 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Appreciate the tip. we've been looking at the charts & plan to do most of the eastern shore in the next few seasons. Any ramp location guidance is always appreciated!

mtown
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/11 - 4:52 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

There are 2 ramps in Chestertown, and several more on the Chester river;
Old Town rd. rt.661
Cliffs City rd.
Shipyard lane
You can get a Md map with all ramp locations from DNR 1-800-688 fins.
It is called Guide to Md.boat ramps and piers. I assume they will mail it to you, I can't remember where I got mine, but I think they are free.

hbahn
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/12 - 5:28 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Njjohn
I live off Peachblossom creek (on LeGates Cone) and absolutely love the place. Easton is great without all the glitz and hype of St Michael's and the expense of Oxford. Fishing ain't bad, either! Would be happy to put you (or anyone else) up on the next trip.
JH Bahn

JH Bahn
1965 Nauset 'Pura Vida'

thegage
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/12 - 6:54 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Having seen your location I wondered exactly where in Easton you were. My father lives on Peachblossom Creek, on the inside of the bridge. I always think about trailering my Whaler down there, but it's a 7-hour haul, and he already has a boat (though not a Whaler!).

John K.

John Kittredge
1991 16 SL - 2013 E-TEC 90

Alan Gracewski
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/12 - 7:45 PM
Personal Page

NJJohn: We used to live in Maryland and probably covered 90% of the Chesapeake. The Tred Avon is a great cruise. We did it several times, including in the late fall when the Canada Geese come in huge flocks. One of my favorite rivers is the Wye River. Lots of nice homes, good crabbing, and water is usually calm enough that you can water ski. It is a long river with lots of side creeks to explore, including going around Wye Island. I think there is only one launch ramp on the Wye at what is called Wye Landing. I am sure you can find directions, even though it is accessed via secondary roads. If you want more adventure and a longer cruise, you could launch at Kent Narrows (Route 50) and go south to the Wye from there. That is a nice cruise and does not take much longer if there is no wind. If there is wind, the chop will slow you down. Good luck! You can't go wrong exploring the Chesapeake.

Al

hbahn
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/12 - 6:29 AM
Personal Page

thegage wrote:
Having seen your location I wondered exactly where in Easton you were. My father lives on Peachblossom Creek, on the inside of the bridge. I always think about trailering my Whaler down there, but it's a 7-hour haul, and he already has a boat (though not a Whaler!).

John K.

JH Bahn
1965 Nauset 'Pura Vida'

hbahn
#9 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/12 - 6:35 AM
Personal Page

John K: I live on Oaklands which borders Peachblossom and LeGates Cove. Am actually about a quarter mile from the Oaklands Dock. Where is your Dad?
just got a Telex MT 3 and an original (white) wheel for my Nauset. Starting to look original!
I used to live in W Mass (Shutesbury) but I've gotta admit I like the Eastern Shore better!
JH

JH Bahn
1965 Nauset 'Pura Vida'

thegage
#10 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/12 - 7:42 AM
Personal Page

He's on Edgemere.

I'm jealous of your classic Nauset. I grew up in Marblehead and always wanted one of the "big" Whalers. If I didn't find my 16SL I'd probably have one of the old 16s by now.

It sure is a lot easier to get on the water in Easton than in Shutesbury!

John K.

John Kittredge
1991 16 SL - 2013 E-TEC 90

GoArmy
#11 Print Post
Posted on 02/16/12 - 5:15 PM

Comments: 0

I used to crab at the tre and its really nice there. Nice ride for me and has the best crabbing around. Pretty calm waters fro the most part and good scenery.

1976 21 Outrage twin 100hp Johnsons

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 6:56 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,511,136 unique visits