View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Metan Marine on the Discovery Channel
Finnegan
#21 Print Post
Posted on 11/04/11 - 12:31 AM

Comments: 16

My copy of "Soundings-Trade Only" arrived this morning, and the front page article was on Metan Marine. It tells the history of the whole operation.

What I found interesting was that a restored 13' white/blue Whaler goes for $20,000. A 23' restored Sea Craft goes for $125,000.

I'd hate to see what one of those Nausets cost, or even worse, the ribside 21 Outrage. 100K?

He brags about having well heeled customers. I guess so!

I guess that makes all of us just a bunch of cheapskate bottom feeders.

tom blinstrub
#22 Print Post
Posted on 11/04/11 - 5:07 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I saw the the boats in person at the Boston boat show. They looked great but the floors don't look factory at all. Sure they are nonskid but they should have the rough ( bag area is what the call rough area). The 16' ski eyes were not in the right place. They were right where you would mount the kicker motor. If I had the $50000 to buy that boat I would buy that $11000 barn find Katama for sale in Norfolk craigslist instead.

ritzyrags
#23 Print Post
Posted on 11/04/11 - 6:42 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

OK,
Let's take a deep breath...
Through my works this night past I had the topic in mind with the fun of reviewing that Metan Marine scenes.
A question that came to mind was..
Why was this guy emoting so much?
Must be in the script..
Cant be too sedated and boring cause it won't sell.
Speed it up will you?
See the thing is, with these shows
They must be riveting and captivating enough so that the filmmaker will actually "SELL" the series for a very tidy sum.
Reminds me a bit of one of my favorite series "Deadwood" with all the captivating profanities.
By now, from what we saw in this lively preview
Painting your boat will be seen as the "doing it fast" way of renewing your hulls.
I am sure that there would be plenty of info there to keep us captivated.
Well I think that the other 80% of the viewers would be hooked by the hype about boat repairs too.
Quite new don't you think?
Let' cut Metan a bit of slack and see if it will be worth our time watching.
After all we are talking about a sponsor in good standing to the site that paints boats.
And Joe should not be put in a tight spot with a sponsor in regard to the short clip.
On a positive side
I think that we all got to love Pamela's knee high tan laced boots.
There's a good chance that we will see more leather in the scenes to come
"OK You're the boss"
Sure sounds right to me.
Wish that all the gals would take the hint.
Way to go Mike!
Count me in, I'll be watching.

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

bmw90w
#24 Print Post
Posted on 11/04/11 - 2:22 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I emailed him through his website to inform him of the negative publicity on this thread and he never emailed me back to acknowledge. Just wanted to see if he would clarify the all the language or whatever, and he didn't even want to take the time to email back. Kinda speaks for itself if you ask me.

1984 Montauk

JohnnyCW
#25 Print Post
Posted on 11/04/11 - 3:42 PM

I have no doubt there is a lot of playing for the camera. As already stated, unfortunately its what seems to make many of the not-so-real reality shows successful. I'm guilty of watching a few of them myself.

Gamalot
#26 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/11 - 5:32 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

I drove right past Orange County Choppers yesterday and many times over the years since they hit the air, never stopped in. I would probably do the same if Metan was located in my hood. With well over 100 TV stations and shows to watch I might view an episode or two before I am bored to death.

The prices for restorations that I have seen tells me there are many people who have more money than brains. One would have to be madly in love with his classic whaler to drop that kind of cash on a resto. On the flip side, I fully agree with the members here who decide to DIY these projects and have the necessary equipment and abilities to get it done. I doubt there are many here who will sink $20,000 in to a boat that will be worth $10,000 in the real world unless they plan to keep it for ever.

The one thing I see missing in all of these reality shows is bloody noses and lips.

OutragousBob
#27 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/11 - 7:17 AM
Personal Page

I recently purchased a classic Whaler. It suffers from typical Whaler crazing of the interior. I have given alot of thought to refurbishing the topside gel coat and contacted Metan due to their advert here. I can tell you that they were fantastic to talk to. Answered all of my questions and replied to e-mails promptly. I'm not sure I can afford their work, but if I could I wouldn't hesitate to do buisness with them. On the other hand I contacted another reputable shop in NH and can't even get a return phone call. Cut them some slack and at least see how the show turns out.

-Bob.

Finnegan
#28 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/11 - 10:00 AM

Comments: 16

One thing I would recommend they do is buy a copy of Tom Clark's catalog CD, so that when they are working on a boat, they could refer to it's original configuration. This would include the Boston Whaler logo decals, which would help them get the correct size and in the correct location on the hull.

It seems to me that if one spends a fortune to "bring a Whaler back", keeping original components, in their correct location, adds tremendously to it's classic value and appeal to others.

As an example, I see a smirked 17' hull, with a Nauset mahogany console and a Montauk reversible pilot seat. No such combination of hull/console, or of console/seat ever existed. I don't like the "mix and match" concept.

But then again, maybe I'm just an old out of touch perfectionist, but for that kind of money, that is what I would demand.

Geo
#29 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/11 - 10:03 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

I agree. The trailer from the show is not representative of the fellows I met at Metan when I had the exterior of my boat restored last winter. Mike and Vince are terrific and my conversations with them were always civil. There really is some valuable expertise at Metan and they do get the job done. Period.

jimmyrinaldi
#30 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/11 - 10:31 AM

It is a shame. What a great show this would be about restoring great boats. I would be on it like glue (or should I say epoxy ? ).
However...
The conflict and the language even if bleeped out makes it unwatchable for me. I would love to watch something like this with my son but I certainly do not want him seeing that kind of display as an example on how to behave.
These kinds of shows puzzle me... I tune in to learn not for a soap opera...

You would think they would take the lead from the best reality/education show out there in my opinion which is Mythbusters. If there is conflict among the cast you would never know it.

Edited by jimmyrinaldi on 11/06/11 - 7:31 PM

ritzyrags
#31 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/11 - 1:14 PM
Project Albums

I will have guessed that a show about patient and long boat refitting without the hype and language would be like watching paint drying.
I will agree to tone it down for family viewing.
Would the network buy it?
Maybe not.
Cant be worse than the Junkyard Dog saying
"I look like this and sound like that because I am a straight dude".
Have you Folks tune in to the "Dog Whisperer" yet?

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

kamie
#32 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/11 - 2:15 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

ritzyrags wrote:
I will have guessed that a show about patient and long boat refitting without the hype and language would be like watching paint drying.
I will agree to tone it down for family viewing.
Would the network buy it?
Maybe not.
Cant be worse than the Junkyard Dog saying
"I look like this and sound like that because I am a straight dude".
Have you Folks tune in to the "Dog Whisperer" yet?

The show doesn't have to be about paint drying, and you can still show staff interactions without resorting to a string of 4 letter words. As for Dog Whisperer, yes I do watch it.

shawnk384
#33 Print Post
Posted on 11/07/11 - 9:25 PM

I had (1) 13' Whaler restored by Metan which he featured in the Boston Boat show. I'm having 2 more done by him and his crew. Had a few offers well over the cost of restoring but decided to donate it to an Autism fund Mike, his wife and the whole co. are apart of. Metan will rebuild/restore your boat anyway you ask. Want a 15' mast for a sail in your Sea Craft? Mike will put it in , guarentee it and suggest a sail maker. His guys are top of the line especially Matt. Bouncing ideas off him gets you the best quality, best looking end result. As far as the "f" bombs, you've never seen a show that was comepletely different after 10 episodes from the Pilot. Lets see, 99% guys working on boats and no swearing, whats the name of your planet. Throttle down, ease your rudder cause you know you are gonna give it a chance and watch it.

1961 13' with a 1966 40hp johnson

jimmyrinaldi
#34 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/11 - 8:06 AM

No most of the TV I watch is with my kids so this I will not watch this one... It's too bad... Maybe Mythbusters will make a Whaler out of duct tape this season... ; )

gtwillis
#35 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/11 - 5:40 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

great workmanship and fun personalities makes for great entertainment! It will fun to watch....tough crowd here, need to wait to see and review.

Greg Willis

JoeBorrelli
#36 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/11 - 5:56 AM

Seems to me that you guys have alot to say about Metan and their F-Bombs, like Matt said in the trailer, were here to do strictly business. So make judgements about my heritage all you want, but one step in our show room you'll see what our hard work looks like in the end

Joe Borrelli

Joe Kriz
#37 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/11 - 12:05 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Folks, lets keep it civil....

It TV...........
I used to enjoy watching Live Richard Prior.........
You either watch the program or you don't.....

Thanks

ritzyrags
#38 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/11 - 1:41 PM
Project Albums

And let us hear more from Mr Borelli and his finished products.
The before and after photos should tell the story.
I never have enough about slick repair jobs.
Specially the ones involving Classic Whalers.

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

Geo
#39 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/11 - 4:15 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

Metan Marine had Best In Show at the Boston Boat Show for their restored Whalers just last year.

Binkie
#40 Print Post
Posted on 11/10/11 - 4:39 AM
Personal Page

Employees working as a team either in construction, or boatbuilding/remodeling or whatever can't/won't do good work when working under conflict. Anyone who has ever worked as part of a crew will attest to this. The show is probably scripted to follow the lead of other successful reality shows that basically appeal to idiots. There is no doubt big money to be made producing these shows as they don't use professional actors.
As far as this Borelli charecter that has recently showed up, I don't think anyone has said anything about the quality of the remodeling work at Metan Marine. I hope he doesn't start swearing at us. LOL

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 11, 2024 - 5:20 PM
Users Online
Welcome
JLJ1958
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,076
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,385,814 unique visits