View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Montauk Baystar Steering
carter samford
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/11 - 10:25 AM

Comments: 0

Hi
I have a 95 Montauk that I just installed a Baystar hydraulic steering set up on.
No matter what I do I am having a hard time neatly routing the steering hoses
from where they come out of the sump, over the splash well and connect to the hydraulic
cylinder on the motor. It just seems like how ever I rig them where there is enough room for the motor to
turn it just looks sloppy. Does anyone have a photo of how this was done on their Montauk?
Thanks,
Carter

Guts
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/11 - 1:09 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

carter samford wrote:
Does anyone have a photo of how this was done on their Montauk?
Thanks,
Carter

look for my personal page (first and last picture) for a photo of the hydraulic lines to the cylinder there is one other piece on their that you may see that you do not have. Do not worry about this piece is a feedback to the autopilot. as I recall it was a long time ago. But I believe I hooked the lines to the cylinder first, then to the helm.

Edited by Guts on 09/10/11 - 1:12 PM
Guts/AKA/Kim

Finnegan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/11 - 10:21 PM

Comments: 16

Last winter I installed the latest Baystar system on my 1979 Montauk, and I think my photos may help you out. You can see the entire album of photos here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v42...tauk%2017/

Because this vintage of Montauk has the nav light connections and battery box on the Port stern side, I routed and bundled ALL cables,including the bilge pump discharge, to the Port side. See some of the last photos for details.
It made a nice claen installation, with a totally clean Starboard stern corner.

But you are correct. The plastic TUBING that comes with the Baystar setup is WORTHLESS. I simply could not get them unkinked without a myriad of screw clips to hold them in place, which I did not want to do. They looked absolutely terrible unrestrained. So I scrapped them. Instead, I bought a set of Teleflex hydraulic HOSES of the length I needed (18'Wink for about $125, as used on the more expensive Sea Star systems. These are 1000% higher quality and rig up nicely. They are wroth evey penny of the cost.

The black smooth bore bilge pump discharge hose is bundled with all other cables and hoses, and has a 90 degree "L" in the end to eject over the transom.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
September 20, 2024 - 8:15 PM
Visit our Sponsors
Specialty Marine - Parts and Accessories

Nauset Marine - Whaler Parts and Accessories

Carver Covers - The Best Covers Under The Sun

Wm. J. Mills and Co. - Boston Whaler Canvas

Click on logo to visit site
View all Sponsors Here
Users Online
Welcome
Thorney70
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 3
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,375
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,637
· Sport 13 1,366
· Outrage 18 555
· Nauset 16 402
· Sport 15 365

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 86,394,389 unique visits