View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Console Rod Holders and Seat Cushions
mustang11
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/11 - 7:37 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

So I finally gave in and ordered myself a set of the console rod holders and seat cushions from Specialty Marine for my Montauk. Has anyone installed these recently and have any tips?

From the descriptions, it looks like I will have to drill holes in the front of the console for the fasteners. Do they include a template or measurements, and if not is there a standard measurement for their position?

Thanks,
Brian

FishNFF
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/11 - 12:12 AM

I just returned my set of SM console rod holders.
I was told to mount them, even though it looked like they were going to be at an angle that would cause the rods to hit the console railing.
They did.
Now I have a set of holes where I do not want them.
You would need to add a spacer or have a new set of top teak spacers made to create the proper angle for rod clearance.
Look in diagram section.

FISHNFF

mustang11
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/11 - 12:01 PM
Personal Page

Thanks for the info, I will certainly take it under advisement. I just read that somewhere else too.

I did place a 4' level against the front of the console/windshield on the angle, and it passed in front of the top bar by a few inches. It sounds like the rod holders themselves are angled though so I will carefully test fit those before any drilling and try a few rods in them.

I looked briefly in the drawing section for a mounting location, so I will check again for a diagram of that.

Brian

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/11 - 12:22 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I looked on Specialty Marines website and saw the Console Rod Holders.
I can't tell from the photo what size the upper teak blocks are.

How thick are the upper pieces of teak?
They should be 1 5/8" square.

NOTE:
Some types of rods in the rod holders will hit the grab rail. That is just how it is.....

See my "Console Rod Holders-Teak" drawing here:
http://www.whalercentral.com/download...?cat_id=13

The above drawing is from an original OEM Console Rod Holder.

You can also download the OEM Boston Whaler installation diagram.
This will tell you where to drill the holes.
You want the Rod Holders to be mounted as high as possible, just under the windshield and about a 1/2" from the outside edge of the console.
See "Console Rod Holder Locating Instructions" here:
http://www.whalercentral.com/download...p?cat_id=6

Here is my rendition:
[img]http://www.whalercentral.com/images/placement.jpg[/img]

Edited by Joe Kriz on 06/22/11 - 1:25 PM

TacoHunter
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/11 - 1:33 PM

I installed them and only my small rods would fit. I went to home depot and picked up some rubber cups. ( http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100128991/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 )

I drilled a hole through them and mounted them between the top wood panel and the console.

Now all my rods fit nicely and it doesn't look too shabby.

- Mike
1986 18' Outrage - 90 HP Honda 4 Stroke

TacoHunter
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/11 - 1:36 PM

Also note, All pieces of teak for me were the exact same size. One looked way different than the others, and I requested a replacement.

They sent another set for me to pick one out of, and all those were the same size. So, I'm guessing they don't send out different sizes anymore, if they ever did.

Edited by TacoHunter on 06/22/11 - 1:37 PM
- Mike

Joe Kriz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/11 - 1:37 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

What top wood panel and the console?

I can't visualize what your are saying.

TacoHunter
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/11 - 1:40 PM

I meant the part on your diagram marked "larger piece of teak".

Here's a picture of my harbor cruising setup. Smile ... can't see the install I'm talking about though. I'll try to take pictures this week if anyone is interested. Boat is not at home right now.

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fCIk83X5Lnc/TfuhynQOEXI/AAAAAAAADdk/vb3fHBxSzZs/s800/IMGP0257.JPG[/img]

Edited by TacoHunter on 06/22/11 - 1:49 PM
- Mike

mustang11
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/11 - 2:05 PM
Personal Page

Joe, thanks for the diagram, that is perfect. I'm expecting delivery tomorrow and will most likely be installing them this weekend so I'll be able to confirm the larger top block thickness soon.

Mike, that is a good idea for a spacer that doesn't require any un-reversiable modifications to the rod holders or console. I will keep it in mind if I run into any issues with the rods not fitting.

Thanks,
Brian

stevebaz
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/11 - 2:33 PM
Personal Page

On my factory set, the radius cut into the wood pieces for the plastic tubes to set in are cut differently between the top pieces and the bottom pieces.
The top pieces are cut shallower so the tubes stick out further when mounted on the console. This offsets the rod holders to match the angle of the console.

Joe Kriz
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/11 - 2:58 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Steve,

Just curious.
Are yours cut the same as the drawing?
The cuts (radius) need to be just like the drawing or the cushions will not fit properly.

mustang11
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/11 - 11:29 AM
Personal Page

So far so good. I got the rod holders installed over the weekend. I was missing one set of snaps from the order so I don't have the cushions on yet but the missing snaps are currently on the way.

The good news was the rods cleared the rail without any problems. The bad news is during test fitting, the rod holder cushions push against the cooler's cushion. It's not a big deal but it doesn't look as good as I was hoping.

Does anyone know the standard distance between the console front and the cooler? Based on the photos I have seen, my cooler looks like it might be a little too close to the console.

I also don't know if it is the original cooler, my guess would be no, but that may have something to do with it too.

Brian

Joe Kriz
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/11 - 11:34 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

From you photos in your personal page it looks like you have the Igloo cushion. Those are thicker than Whalers cushions.
You could probably get by if you move the cooler forward which you would probably need to do anyway so you can open the lid of the cooler.

The original cooler was an Igloo Marine 86 qt now replace by the 94 qt.
We have lots of photos in the "OEM Part Photos" section.
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...hoto_id=39

mustang11
#14 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/11 - 11:44 AM
Personal Page

Joe,

Thanks for the response. I will plan on moving it up as little as possible, to where it will open comfortable and fit with the cushions.

Thanks,
Brian

Joe Kriz
#15 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/11 - 11:48 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Some people turn the cooler around so it open to the front of the boat.
That may help you with your thicker cushion.

mustang11
#16 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/11 - 12:40 PM
Personal Page

That is an interesting idea, I may try that. I did always have some difficulty because of the current cushion so that may be a solution.

Brian

mustang11
#17 Print Post
Posted on 06/29/11 - 6:15 PM
Personal Page

[img]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/cuda7185/rod-holder-cushions.jpg[/img]

Got the missing snaps and finished the installation this evening. I think the setup looks great and it is much more comfortable. Hopefully I'll be adding some better photos to the personal page when I have her out this weekend.

After I took that image, I turned the cooler around 180 degrees and found it much easier to get into, so I think I will be leaving it that way, so that solves that issue as well.

Thanks for the help and input,
Brian

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 2:42 AM
Users Online
Welcome
fdb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,101
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,500,742 unique visits