View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Montauk fuel gauge
lawyerbilly
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/02/11 - 6:42 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Hi Whalerfolk,
I am getting pretty deeply into serious work on a Montauk 17, vintage 1989. Repowering etc. I am getting ready to replace the fuel tank, as a matter of necessity. I have narrowed it down to the Mirax DH 2424 aluminum tank from Lake Havasu City Az or the white Moeller 24 gallon which is plastic or some similar material.

The Mirax is said to come with a mechanical gauge while the the Moeller has a glow gauge. My old tank just had kind of a narrow clear tube I just looked at to tell how much fuel I had. Almost like a glorified dipstick.

What I am wondering is what do I have to do to each (mechanical vs glow) to tell me how much fuel I have? Do I need to also purchas a gauge to put on the console? What else? Just want to know what I got to do and how much I got to spend to know how much gas I've got in a reasonably accurate and sophisticated manner.

Lawyerbilly

by the way, I like the sleek "bad" appearance of the Mirax (which costs bout twice as much) but am wondering whether the rough ride in the chop will work it over.

bmw90w
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/02/11 - 8:26 PM
Personal Page

On my mirax tanks, I just added a fuel sender and put a gauge in the dash. I like to be able to see the fuel levels at all times. If you need help with wiring let me know.

Edited by bmw90w on 03/02/11 - 8:27 PM
1984 Montauk

lawyerbilly
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/03/11 - 3:42 AM
Personal Page

Thanks Terry. Your personal page has persuaded me I should perhaps spend some extra money and go the Mirax route. You have the two 12's I see but they also have a single 24 gal. Regardless they are sharp looking. I may call on you for help when I receive mine and start rigging everything up. You have a really sharp looking Montauk.
Billy

A Little Madness
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/03/11 - 4:04 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

LawyerBilly,
I had to replace my old 27 gal Tempo last year (believed to be ethenol degradation leak) and used the 24 Gal White Moeller tank. This tank has several advantages in my mind: cost, ethenol design, the fuel fill neck configuration, ease of installation, etc. The most important to me (beyond the ethenol design) was the fuel fill neck layout which provides more than adequate clearance out from the RPS and makes fill-ups easy, as opposed to the old Tempo where it was a battle to get the nozzle under the RPS. The gas gage (float style) is in the cap, so all I have to do is turn around & look down and know how much gas I have left. There's no wires to run or electrical issues to deal with. Also, the white tank blends in so much better than the old red tempo, so the onlooker's eye is drawn to other features, like teak, etc. After my spring haul out/service/ clean up I'll be posting new pictures to our personal page, which will include the white tank. I really like it. Good Luck!

Chris & Dale Schnell
"A Little Madness" - 1989 Montauk 17'

bmw90w
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/03/11 - 6:02 AM
Personal Page

Thanks Billy! Yeah I was torn on whether or not to get the single vs the double tanks. They both have advantages. I will warn you, don't put line x in tan on them (gas stains). Originally this boat came with the two 12s, but I know many people that have the single one as well. My buddy has one with the mechanical gauge, and that does work really well. I am just so paranoid about running out of gas, I want to be able to see it easily, and I want there to be another tank if I run out. You can't go wrong either way. I know the mirax one is expensive. However if you add a gauge, it is just two wires in the console. Make sure you tell mirax though, so they can put a sender in it vs the mechanical gauge. If you get the single, you may also have to alter your mats a little bit under the rps. Good luck and have fun!

1984 Montauk

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 9:12 AM
Users Online
Welcome
oddbald
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,051
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,270,043 unique visits