View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
International Masthead Light base for 1986 Outrage 18'
nbhs66
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/11/11 - 7:28 AM

Comments: 2

My original 'International' Masthead light "base" (Perko- 'pass through type w/no contacts & with a locking collar, unknown part#) that mounts on top/thru center console of my 1986 Outrage 18' has fallen apart. Light (shaft which is approx. 42" long overall) works fine but I can not locate a replacement base which leaves me with an 1 1/2" hole in the top of my console.
I have emailed Perko twice as had a local Boston Whaler dealer & another parts supplier with NO response to any of us.
Does anyone out there know of a Perko base part# or any other base that might suffice? I can supply photo if needed.
Thank you.

Tom W Clark
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/11/11 - 8:47 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

The base for that light was an amalgamation of Perko off-the-shelf parts and some custom made ones that Whaler put together to make a solid mount of the light.

You can see the exploded parts diagram for that light base in the Outrage 18 Parts Manual, available in the Downloads section of WC:

http://www.whalercentral.com/download...p?cat_id=3

Having said all that, the masthead light in the console was a terrible design and I recommend you get rid of it in favor of a tall 360 degree stern light. There has been much previous discussion of this.

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/11/11 - 10:55 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

nbhs66 wrote:
My original 'International' Masthead light "base" (Perko- 'pass through type w/no contacts & with a locking collar, unknown part#).

Photos and part numbers of those parts are located in our "OEM Part Photos and Info" link on the left sidebar.
Scroll down to all the parts that start with "Masthead Light"...

Here is the fitting with the locking collar:
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...hoto_id=75

Tom W Clark
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/11/11 - 12:06 PM
Personal Page

That's the upper part of the base and I believe the lower part is nothing but a Perko Flag Pole Socket turned upside down. A Perko Fig # 220 to be precise.

In addition to those parts there were:

- A spacer that is nothing more than a short length of anodized aluminum tubing.

- A plastic snap bushing

- Three Oval Head machine screws (#8-32 x 3"Wink with washers and Nyloks

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/11/11 - 12:08 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Yep...
All those parts are listed in our OEM Part Photos and Info link on the left sidebar.

nbhs66
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/11/11 - 12:22 PM

Correct on ALL posts AND have ALL those mentioned parts INTACT except the "base" that ties all the others together. Even tried inverting the 'flag ploe' holder through the hole in the console but the remaining 'collar' portion is too large to pass thru, the spacer is useless in any tried application.
I'll figure something out but of right now I'm screwed................with almost a 2" hole in the top of the console.

Joe Kriz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/11/11 - 12:26 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Not sure how you are trying to put this together.

The mount with the locking collar is on top of the console.
Underneath is the spacer and then the lower mount or flagpole mount which is inverted.
The screws go through the upper mount and the lower mount.

Why isn't your fitting correctly?

Maybe the attached photo will help.
In the center you will see the spacer. This goes underneath the console and then the base or flagpole which is inverted.
This is the way it came off the boat in proper order and you can see how it all fits together.

Joe Kriz attached the following image:

[33.66Kb]
Edited by Joe Kriz on 02/11/11 - 12:33 PM

Tom W Clark
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/11/11 - 2:08 PM
Personal Page

As Joe mentioned above, the base is Perko Fig # 1045.

nbhs66
#9 Print Post
Posted on 02/11/11 - 8:10 PM

I certainly appreciate the posts & comments from Joe Kriz & Tom Clark, both you gentleman are a data base of Whaler knowledge.

I probably haven't clearly explained my present situation.

The image Joe sent is exact in every detail to my light EXCEPT that BASE portion (metal top attaches w/three screws to the top of the console that has the locking collar part of it) has disintegrated away, just crumbled into pieces. That's what the Perko 1045 base is supposed to be.

Finally got a reply email & later spoke with Perko by phone, I was told that Boston Whaler had special ordered a "Custom Made Adaptation" of the 'Old' Perko Plug In type #1045 base to make it 'Telescoping' (as our light is) quoting their phrase: "Back Then," which is to say is no longer available.

The present Perko 1045 base is made as a plug in type w/either 2 or 3 contacts, NOT Telescoping & is even a little larger diameter now.

Since a telescoping Perko 1045 base is no available, the idea of inverting the bottom portion (flag pole base) back through the top of the console was using the three screw holes to secure it to the top of the console is moot...it doesn't work out.

Tried to attach pics but that didn't work out either. Thanks again for your support.

Edited by Tom W Clark on 02/12/11 - 7:50 AM

Tom W Clark
#10 Print Post
Posted on 02/12/11 - 8:08 AM
Personal Page

OK, so what you are after is a Perko light socket that will work with what you have, what Whaler called the Upper Masthead Light Mount.

I can think of three solutions to this dilemma.

Though the Perko 1045 may have ben custom made for Whaler back then, it was not an entirely unique part; Perko almost certainly assembled it from off-the-shelf parts rather than creating new and unique moldings. My strong suspicion is that you could modify a new Perko 1045 base to make it work for your needs. The requirements are threefold:

- It needs an open bottom for the pole to pass through. So take a new one with the pin socket in the base and cut the base off.

- It needs to have the eccentric collar and locking ring. Literature on Perko's website indicates a new 1045 base can come with the locking collar to work with older lights.

- It needs to accommodate the 3/4" diameter pole. This is a standard size and I am sure the Perko 1045 does this.

Your other solution is to not buy a new upper light mount, but to buy a used one that was OE on a boat like yours. Have you perused the WC classified Section? I think you might find what you are looking for there...

The third (and best) solution is to dispose of the masthead light altogether for the reasons stated earlier. The 2" hole left in the top of your console is a trivial matter to deal with. Add something there, move your compass over or add a nice piece of teak to cover the entire top of your console or just one part of it. I have owned four Whalers with that console and have had to deal with old holes on all of them. It's not a problem, it's an opportunity.

Joe Kriz
#11 Print Post
Posted on 02/12/11 - 11:43 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

I purchased a Perko #1045 a few years back at West Marine.
It was just like the original so they were still available.

I don't have a any stores close to me or I would stop by and see if they still had any in stock.

Here is the apparent newer version.
http://perko.com/catalog/category/nav...roduct/79/

Edited by Joe Kriz on 02/12/11 - 11:59 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 5:27 AM
Users Online
Welcome
TDND2013
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,049
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,267,309 unique visits