View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Bowlight Parts for 1991 Montauk
egerrity
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/22/10 - 3:34 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I hope everyone had a nice summer.

I finally got around to trying to fix the bow light on my 1991 Montauk last night. What I thought was going to be an easy bulb replacement turns into a possible total replacement. The banjo part of the socket is rotted out.

I see some places to buy a whole new replacement light, but I really wanted to keep my original housing and just replace the plastic internal parts. I searched the site for info and did not see anything. Can anyone tell me if there is a place to buy replacement parts.

I apologize if this has been discussed many times before. I don't want to jump at replacing the whole light and find out it is inferior to what I have, when maybe I can buy the parts.

Thanks to all,

Ed

Edited by Tom W Clark on 09/22/10 - 6:02 AM

Tom W Clark
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/22/10 - 6:02 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

You need to tell us which light you have; there have been several used over the years on the Montauk.

Are you sure your bow light is original to the boat?

Do you have a photo of the light in question?

egerrity
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/22/10 - 6:59 AM
Personal Page

I am sure it is original to the boat. I will try to post pics later when I get home. I'm not sure I will be able to get them to post.

egerrity
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/22/10 - 8:59 AM
Personal Page

ahhhh I was able to post on old pic of the boat on my personl page that shows the light, but it is too far away. Maybe it will help. It seems to be a 3 piece light with 2 screws to remove the top with the lens. The plastic housing that hold the bulb is inside. Three larger screws hold the bottom part of the light. after that I was left with the flat part attached to the boat with the 2 chocks attached. 2 wires coming out the middle .

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/22/10 - 9:59 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Have you looked in the OEM Part Photos section for the different versions?

Here is one version of the lens
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...hoto_id=19

And here is a breakdown of part.
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...hoto_id=15

egerrity
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/22/10 - 10:44 AM
Personal Page

Thanks Joe. The first pic does show the plastic "bulb Holder" that I need. Is there a place to get that part. I would inagine perko doesnt make it anymore?

egerrity
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/28/11 - 9:23 AM
Personal Page

Any help on this older thread would be great. All I need is the internal "bulb Holder" that has fallen apart. The renst of my original chrome parts are in great shape. I would like to keep it if I am able to find the internal parts..... thanks

Bake
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/28/11 - 10:23 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

I am pretty sure the perko light,

http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/navigation_lights_under_20_meters/product/182/

has guts that will work. Its give a Outside deminson of 2 3/8" They show parts for it on there website. you might be just as good to check one out in the store and compare the parts you have in hand

egerrity
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/17/11 - 6:58 AM
Personal Page

Sorry for the delay in my response. I will be taking care of this over the weekend I will report back on how the parts fit.
Ed

Guts
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/17/11 - 7:09 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

egerrity wrote:
Sorry for the delay in my response. I will be taking care of this over the weekend I will report back on how the parts fit.
Ed

you might also want to check out this thread. I don't know if it's any help or not but might be worth a look.

http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...post_76661

Guts/AKA/Kim

egerrity
#11 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/11 - 6:04 AM
Personal Page

I wanted to make sure this thread gets concluded. I went to West marine thanks to the recommendation of "bake" and bought the Perko nav light for $46. The internal plastic part with bulb and socket looked like and exact replacement. To my dismay the diameter of the new part is about 1/8-1/16 to big. After looking at it closer, my plan is to use my dremmel to shave off alittle bit of plastic so it fits inside the top portion of my light.. At that point I will have to drill holes throught the new plastric piece that will line up with the existing. I plan on taking a bunch of pictures and posting them here. I was on the fence on weather I should just buy a whole new light from Speciality marine, but it just isn't exactily the same at the OEM. The chrome on mine is in pretty good shape. After I modify the part to fit it should work perfect. As of now this seems like a feesable fix.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 3:55 AM
Users Online
Welcome
fdb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,101
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,501,476 unique visits