View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
New Interior
gacto
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/10 - 5:39 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Ok, I plan to replace the interior of my 15 super sport this winter. Previous owner I believe replaced the wood once, but used 3/4 mahogany, not 1". Anyway, I may buy the boards and use existing pieces as templates, or just replace with a new interior from specialty marine. I saw where the owner of CAROM raised his interior using starboard, which is exactly what I want to do as well. Upside of copying the existing interior is that the storage compartment is larger that the one provided by specialty marine, extending all the way under and behind the rear seat.

Where is a good source for the bulk mahogany, and would I actually be saving some cash? Would Speciatly Marine sell me the boards to cut and build the interior myself?

CES
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/10 - 5:45 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

After you calculate your time, materials and labor, I think you'd be better off buying from mike at nautical lumber. He's a site sponsor.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

kamie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/10 - 7:21 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

gatco,
if you don't have all the wood working tools then look for a lumber shop near you that sells the lumber. They will usually cut, joint and plan for a small fee and it's often well worth it, i know the shop where i purchase my lumber charges $5 per board. If you want to tweak the interior and you have a bit of skill it can be a fun project. I suggest you go to the big box hardware store and purchase a sheet of MDF to practice on. MDF is $50 for a 4' x 8' piece and it sure beats ruining mahogany at $12 per board foot.

gacto
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/10 - 7:33 PM
Personal Page

I have a friend who builds cabinets, and he will cut the pieces and plane them for me. I will then finish and assemble. In exchange, he will use my old interior, tweaking it a bit, for an interior in a 12 aluminum boat.

tedious
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/10 - 9:08 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Regarding raising the interior, I went with 2 inches all around - that leaves the sideboards right in line with the gunnels. If I was going to do a full custom job from scratch, I'd stay with the 2 inch lift all around, but raise the console an additional inch or two - that would require redrawing the curve on the starboard sideboard, but be more comfortable and leave more room for the battery beneath the console. Also, I'd try to find another way of mounting the stern seat - the cleats in the hull really don't provide any support as they are below the thwart, and they leave a big hole which welcomes any water that comes on board right into the storage compartment.

I'd think your cabinetmaking friend would be a good source for the lumber.

Tim

yedde
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/05/10 - 10:05 PM

I bought 15" wide rough cut african mahogany from advantagelumber.com on a chance. They milled it down and gave me 3 straight sides on all pieces so I could rip new. It shipped the next day from NY by UPS. It was an outstanding experience all around. 3 - 1x15x60 boards cost me $56 and change each plus reasonable shipping.

teresap989
#7 Print Post
Posted on 10/06/10 - 7:24 PM

kamie wrote:
gatco,
if you don't have all the wood working tools then look for a lumber shop near you that sells the lumber. They will usually cut, joint and plan for a small fee and it's often well worth it, i know the shop where i purchase my lumber charges $5 per board. If you want to tweak the interior and you have a bit of skill it can be a fun project. I suggest you go to the big box hardware store and purchase a sheet of MDF to practice on. MDF is $50 for a 4' x 8' piece and it sure beats ruining mahogany at $12 per board foot.

I also think so.thanks

gacto
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/10/10 - 11:59 AM
Personal Page

Last week I bought some pvc "boards", 1x6 6ft long. I will try this instead of starboard to raise the interior. Each board will be ripped, 1 piece 2 1/2" high, the other 3" high. The interior will rest on top of the 2 1/2 in piece. The 3" piece will be screwed/glued to side of the 2 1/2" piece to provide a side ledge 2" high to support the interior laterally. Hopefully the PVC will be strong enough to not crush. This may give extra height under the console for the battery, and I will replace the 12g tank with an 18 under the front seat.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 29, 2024 - 6:52 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Roscoe
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,031
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 397
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,159,487 unique visits