View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Attempted Hell Gate East River passage yesterday.
WhalerDan
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/10 - 5:37 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Last October I brought my 1990 18 Outrage with twin 1990 70hp motors from Huntington, Long Island to the Statue of Liberty and back. I hit Hells Gate Bridge about 1 hour before high tide and had a current that slowed me down by only 3 mph. It was on a week day, almost no wind, and very little boat traffic.

Yesterday, 9/11 I attempted the same trip. The wind in the sound was about 6 mph. Boat traffic was a bit high. High tide at Hell Gate was listed as 2:04 pm. I got there at 2. Going through Hells Gate wasn't bad, But the first section of the East River, where it gets somewhat narrow was really sloppy, and there was a lot of pleasure boat traffic, all headed toward me, moving pretty fast, and creating a lot of waves that traveled to the walls on either side of the area and bounced back, like a bathtub. One boat that passed me was a Montauk with about 5 men, all standing, and they didn't look too comfortable. I continued for about a 1/4 mile, and it kept getting worse, with closely spaced waves 3 foot maybe more and coming from several directions. I couldn't tell how long these conditions would last, and decided to turn around and head back. At 3,500 rpm I was only going 15mph, normally I would be going almost 25mph. I was surprised that there was this much current just 10 minutes past slack tide. The tide was higher than normal with a height of 8 feet -- usually it's closer to 7.

And that's my report.

I plan on making the trip again in early October, during the week when there's much less boat traffic, hopefully earlier in the day around 10 am, and with low wind.

I'm still trying to figure when the best time to enter Hell Gate area is. Should I enter on a rising tide or a retreating tide, and how close to high or low tide? Any advice would be appreciated. Here's a link to tides: http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic...sites.html

Here's a link to local marine weather/conditions: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/f...uery=11743

MW
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/10 - 6:00 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

The tides were off about an hour yesterday, High tide was predicted at 10:22 am, there was a "new" moon on the 8th, and a N.W. wind holding it back a bit. I powered up to go under a bridge that has fast water 12+ knts. outwash creek (Meadowbrook #1 bridge) at my back, only to notice that the water was'nt moving (Slack high tide) I powered down a bit, I looked at my watch and it was almost 12;30 pm, so the tide was definately off. It's my understanding that it's best to attempt "Hell Gate" R.R. Bridge at HIGH or LOW slack tides, Much of Long Island Sound empties through there at low tide.

Matt

WhalerDan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/10 - 6:41 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Thanks for info Matt. Does anyone know the pros or cons of taking the right further East side entrance of East River? -- On the Eastern side of Roosevelt Island. Here's a Google satellite view: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=hells+g...h&z=16

I was around E 79th St when I turned around, maybe it would have improved when I got bellow E 47th St where the river widens -- any thoughts? How about after Williamsburg Bridge where it again narrows a lot.

I guess it's better to err on the side of caution. Many people say the Whaler will take more abuse than the driver, and I believe it.

HarleyFXDL
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/10 - 8:30 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

The last time I went thorugh Hell's gate was back in 1992 in a 14' alum boat with a Evinrude 9.9 hp. I was a little more adventurous back then. From what I remember, it wasn't too bad. Not sure of the tide, but expected it to be a lot worse.

Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 9:50 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,513,096 unique visits