View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Location for Decals, 1974 Montauk
Gamalot
#21 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/10 - 2:29 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

There is no evidence that I can see of an R ever having been on either side of mine. It was built July 25, 1974.

Jeff
#22 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/10 - 2:33 PM

Comments: 34

Here is the thread that disappeared....I still had the page open on my other machine and saved it (screen grabs) when it was all the sudden gone. I emailed the admins on 7/29 about it's strange disappearance.
https://sites.google.com/site/rohlfin...C2post.jpg
Link in thread to images of Decals.
http://tinyurl.com/38cq2qs

I still hold that the pre 1976 Hulls did not have the ® in the logo.

Edited by Jeff on 10/14/10 - 2:39 PM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Joe Kriz
#23 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/10 - 3:49 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

There is nothing with can do with posts that are gone or missing in action.

Time to let it go and get over it.....
I responded to you during that time frame and suggested to you that it would be best to create an article on this subject which is much better in the long run rather than any post, including this one, that is going to get buried in the more than 65,000 posts that we already have on this site.

That's fine that you still hold something to be true.
We just need more evidence to confirm something to be factual rather than just one opinion.

Out of all the photos I have of my prior 1978 Montauk, I cannot tell if it had the ® or not due to the trailers side bunks and no closeup photos of it in the water where the ® would show.

For now we will "Assume" that 1975 models did not have the ® and the 1976 models and above had the ®.....
If anyone else can confirm whether they have the original ® or not please post that info here so we can see if there is a pattern that will define the start of the ® on the decals.

Jeff
#24 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/10 - 7:00 PM

Joe, I am over the deleted thread. I just do not understand why you still claim even in your post earlier today I had never made such a claim. You basically outright disputed my belief that there was ever a logo without the ®. You claimed that it if a Whaler had a logo without one, it must not have been present because they had been "worn off". So, your statement of earlier in the thread of "Where did Jeff say that the old sticker didn't have the "®" ??????" seems strange...

I truly believe from what I have seen that 1975 into 1976 was the change over for the logos with ®. I do not know when the exact change over is. Looking through the catalogs tonight the very first time you clearly see a ® on any logo is in the 1979 catalog on page 4 with new V-22 Outrage. You can also see it for the first time on the V-20 Outrage image, 21 & 19 Revenge, Newport, 17 sport, 13 Sport, Sport 11, 9 Tender. The only time before that I saw was, there looks like there could be one on the 9 Tender on page 3 of the 1977 catalog but it is just a blurry spec if there is one. If anyone can find one before that please direct us to it.

Know we all know the catalog images are not reliable sources for data on exact dating of model changes. The photography of the boats was often used year after year and at times even after there was a change of some sort. But, I think we can all agree the images in Tom's set are not doctored in anyway so, there are images from Whaler showing their boats with logo minus the ®.

So, there was a logo without ® used for many years. Lets figure out an approximate change over date if we can. I am 99.9% certain my 1975 13 had it's true factory installed Decal without it. Larry's 1975 19 for certain has it's true factory installed Decal without it. I am 99.9% certain my 1976 17 Newport has it's true factory installed Decal with it.

Edited by Jeff on 10/14/10 - 7:17 PM

Joe Kriz
#25 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/10 - 10:12 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Jeff,

It is not posted in this thread so that is why I asked where you said it here.... You didn't....
You seem to be bringing things up that no longer exist here in these forums.

I also don't see where I ever said that all decals had the ® ...
Some early decals didn't.
Some that did have the ® might also have been worn or rubbed off.
Lots of things can happen.

"Where did Jeff say that the old sticker didn't have the "®" ??????" seems strange...

No, you don't seem to be reading "THIS" entire post properly.
Stick to this post or everyone here will be lost and I may have to delete this post too if it gets too obscure.

Please stick to this post and not to ones that had been deleted for whatever reason.

So, it wasn't strange at all. It was deleted and you seem to be the only one that ever complained about it.

To everyone else,
The post or thread that was deleted was part of a double post by "someone"???
A member that posted the same question twice, usually by accident, is a double posting....
All duplicate posts or threads will be corrected by deleting one of the posts.
I deleted one of the double posts but accidentally deleted the one with comments instead of the one without comments unfortunately.
However, the post is gone and it's done.

Anymore on that subject here and I will have no choice but to delete some of the posts above here.
It's getting ridiculous.

MW
#26 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 12:13 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I've worked for the water dept. in "Purification and Operations", for 22 years, there is "NOTHING" in a municiple water supply that could possibly affect a decal !

Matt

CES
#27 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 3:47 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

MW wrote:
I've worked for the water dept. in "Purification and Operations", for 22 years, there is "NOTHING" in a municiple water supply that could possibly affect a decal !

No kidding. I've been drinking water from the water department for more than 44 years and I'm okay.....well except for this little tick that hits me once in a while. Aside from that, I'm good!! ;-).

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Gamalot
#28 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 6:05 AM
Personal Page

modenacart wrote:
MW wrote:
what contaminants are in soap and water ?

Pick up your local water report and see what is in the water. Tap water is not plain H2O. Plus anything that may be in the spray bottle.

Lots of discussions on this subject at my Audiophile forums. Those who still spin Vinyl albums also wash them. Plain tap water, even from wells will leave contaminants.

We use distilled water and Photo Flo when rinsing to avoid a film on the records.

draftsman
#29 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 6:33 AM

Comments: 0

The first drawing that I have that officially has the registration mark was done in 1978, the 18" size. Can't say for sure anything before that, but I suspect it started in that time frame of 77-78....
And don't make too much about the soap issue, all I said was to be careful with it, too much is not good and it can make an easy job impossible. Nuff said.

Jeff
#30 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 6:48 AM

After looking deeper in the catalogs the first image of the ® in the hull decal was on page 33 of the 1977 Accessories catalog where they show a shot of what looks to be a replacement decal.

MW
#31 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 9:30 AM
Personal Page

"Distillation" of water only removes "Salts" and "Solids" not toxins or surficants if present. "De-ionized" water is the purest that you can get.

Matt

modenacart
#32 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 1:19 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

MW wrote:

Unless you are the OEM for the stickers, I don't think you are qualified to state whatever minerals in water may interact with the decals unless you have done extensive study. Why add an unknown if you don't have to.

You can use water all you want, I don't care. I am not going to use the wet method anymore, it caused the "R" not to stick on my decal.

Edited by modenacart on 10/15/10 - 1:22 PM
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

MW
#33 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 1:42 PM
Personal Page

Unless you're a licensed water treatment operator by the state Board of Health, you're definately not qualified to be making any public statements about contaminants found in the public's drinking water.

Edited by MW on 10/15/10 - 1:43 PM
Matt

modenacart
#34 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 2:03 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

MW wrote:
Unless you're a licensed water treatment operator by the state Board of Health, you're definately not qualified to be making any public statements about contaminants found in the public's drinking water.

I have made no such comments that drinking tap water will have ill effects to people's health. I am not sure what being a licensed water treatment operator has to do with using water on decals, maybe you can enlighten me. To assume that since water is ok to drink, therefore it must be good for decals is foolish.

I

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

CES
#35 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 3:16 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Man, this thread is killing me!! Hahaha. I just busted a gut reading this stuff.

Who cares man!! Tap water is fine to use for decal placement. I used way more than a teaspoon of Dawn in a bucket of water from the hose. I had Noooooo problem with the R falling away nor did I have any issues with the decals not adhering to the boat or any grit either. That was three years ago and the decals look great!!!

Man, you guys are killin' me. Lol.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

John Fyke
#36 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 4:04 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

This post is still up? People, get over it.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

Joe Kriz
#37 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 4:53 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

This post seems to have gone from the original question of
"Location for Decals, 1974 Montauk" to:
1. Which decals have the ®
2. What Water to use to put the decals on with
3. How much and what type of Soap to use to apply the decals
4. My post was deleted and I don't know why

It appears we just don't have enough input from the members here on the location of decals.
I recall another thread where we asked for more input so we could created an article on this subject..
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...rowstart=0
Without input however, we can't reliably compare information.

From other information that we have gathered in the past, here is the location of a couple of different size decals.

1. Gamalot - 1974 Montauk with 14 inch decals and NO ®.
8 1/2 inches below gunwale lip to bottom of sled
13 3/4 inches from transom to back of sled
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...post_69105

2. Jeff -- 1976 Newport with 14 inch decal and NO ®
8 inches below gunwale lip to bottom of sled
13 inches from transom to back of sled
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...post_65942

3. Guts - 1981 Montauk 17' with 28" decals with the ®.
8 1/2 inches below gunwale lip to bottom of sled
13 3/4 inches from transom to back of sled
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...post_47769

4. Joe Kriz - 1985 Outrage 18' with 28" decals with the ®.
10 inches below gunwale lip to bottom of sled
10 inches from transom to back of sled

If anyone has any other information to add to the list above, let us know.
If there are any mistakes above, let us know.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 10/16/10 - 10:31 AM

Gamalot
#38 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 4:54 PM
Personal Page

Maybe if we change the subject to Cocktails we would all be more loving.

My water up here in the NY Catskills is about as clear, cold and tasty as it comes but you could probably weld with it from all the iron.

It is pretty funny though so I hope Joe can see the humor and let it flow a while longer.

Gamalot
#39 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 5:13 PM
Personal Page

Sorry Joe, The decal on my 1974 Montauk is absolutely 14 inches front to back.

I don't really care about the water, soap, contaminants or other BS here because it has been there for 36 years and doing just fine.

I'm just stating the facts the best I can with a 1974 Montauk sitting in my driveway and I think about as original as they came.

Joe Kriz
#40 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 6:05 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Gamalot,

No problem. I will change it above to read 14 inches on a 1974 Montauk.

Guts decal size seems to be 28 inches for a 1981 16/17' model.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 10/15/10 - 6:13 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 29, 2024 - 7:20 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Roscoe
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,031
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 397
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,160,061 unique visits