View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Old flares
scubadog
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/29/10 - 6:20 PM

Comments: 0

What is the recommended way to get ride of out dated flares?

davis422
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/29/10 - 6:34 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Call your local fire department. I work as a fireman in Bath Maine and we take them and get rid of them. I don't know if all departments do but we have a lot of lobstermen up here and that is what they do.

CES
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/29/10 - 7:45 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

When I was a kid, we'd pop them off into the water when they expired. Of course I'd never do that now......just acting like a kid.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

brooks89
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/29/10 - 9:41 PM

If they are in good shape but simply out of date, there's no reason you can't keep them. You are required to have the proper number and type of current flares on hand, but there's no rule against having extras even if out of date, on hand. If (God Forbid) you need them use the expired ones first!

MW
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/29/10 - 9:43 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

Contact local USCG Aux., they use outdated Fire ext. and flares for training.

Matt

DWinter
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/10 - 5:03 AM
Personal Page

brooks89 wrote:
If they are in good shape but simply out of date, there's no reason you can't keep them. You are required to have the proper number and type of current flares on hand, but there's no rule against having extras even if out of date, on hand. If (God Forbid) you need them use the expired ones first!

Be careful with that statement because in Virginia is is illegal to have expired flares onboard. The reasoning is, what's to stop you from trying to use those first in an emergency. ANY expired flares on board CAN get you a ticket in VA. It depends on the officer, but he is within his right to cite you.

Edited by DWinter on 06/30/10 - 5:05 AM
Duane G Winter
1984 BW Sport 15 Center Console

scubadog
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/10 - 5:30 AM

Thank you all for your input.

brooks89
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/10 - 6:05 AM

Duane: Good and interesting point regarding local rules. In New York, there's no rule against it. In fact I took NY's Boater Safety Course conducted by the Suffolk County Police Marine Bureau and it was their suggestion to go ahead and use older flares first if needed.

CES
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/10 - 6:26 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Brooks, that was my understanding too. I didn't realize that in some states it's illegal to have in your posession expired flares. That seems to take the responsibility of governing one self and puts it in the hands of the state. Just because a flare is expired doesn't render it useless. I'd use the expired flares first before using the newer flares too.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

MW
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/10 - 9:23 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

It can be confusing when state rules over ride federal rules (which sometimes they do).

Matt

Guts
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/10 - 9:39 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

The CG will take them, if they see out dated ones and you do not want to give them any lip about it ether. Now in Mexico you have to watch the flare pistols they are considered a "GUN" and may cost you something ---

Edited by Guts on 06/30/10 - 9:13 PM
Guts/AKA/Kim

Mark Finkenstaedt
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/12/10 - 7:12 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

Lots of juvenile things come to mind but I trained the kids and wife how to use them. I was in the back garden at the time.

2001 18' Dauntless - 150HP 2010 E-TEC

awayland
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/10 - 9:33 AM
Personal Page

Just recently took the CG Aux. course with my son. They told us to keep the expired ones on board in case you need them. Although they will take them for training. I suggested having an event where the public could see the old ones st off, to learn how the different types react. They thought it was a great idea, most people have never seen one lit. I'm going to do what Mark Finkenstaedt and teach the family how to use them.

tedious
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/10 - 10:13 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

As a prelude to the 4th of July fireworks in Boothbay Harbor, several scofflaws were disposing of old flares. I know that's not legal, but the Coasties didn't seem to be bothered by it.

Tim

lrak
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/10 - 10:23 AM

DWinter wrote:Be careful with that statement because in Virginia is is illegal to have expired flares onboard. The reasoning is, what's to stop you from trying to use those first in an emergency. ANY expired flares on board CAN get you a ticket in VA. It depends on the officer, but he is within his right to cite you.

Can anyone cite a law from any state against it? I can find nothing. Every state I can find says visual distress signals must be current. That doesn't mean its illegal to carry expired ones. Expired protechnics are simply not considered visual distress signals.

JohnnyCW
#16 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/10 - 12:17 PM

I searched and couldn't find any statute in any state that stated carrying out of date flares was illegal as long as the minimum requirements were met. Its a curious law if it does indeed exist anywhere.

I keep a few outdated flares on board but I stow them in a different location than my primary signaling kit which is kept up to date. If time is a factor in getting off a visual distress signal, I want to make sure I have the best chance of success using a fresh device rather than inadvertently grabbing something out of date that may not perform as expected.

DWinter
#17 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/10 - 4:49 PM
Personal Page

JohnnyCW wrote:
I searched and couldn't find any statute in any state that stated carrying out of date flares was illegal as long as the minimum requirements were met. Its a curious law if it does indeed exist anywhere.

I keep a few outdated flares on board but I stow them in a different location than my primary signaling kit which is kept up to date. If time is a factor in getting off a visual distress signal, I want to make sure I have the best chance of success using a fresh device rather than inadvertently grabbing something out of date that may not perform as expected.

Honestly Johnny I tried for weeks after an inspection to find it written anywhere, federal or state and local laws and failed to do so, but trust me, the officer was very committed to it's validity. His side was an expired flare is an expired flare and is not to be onboard. I called the Marine Patrol, and left them a message explaing what happened and asked for some clarification but I never got a call back. I finally stopped wasting my time. I now do the same thing you suggested. Stow outdate extras below and keep the current package up on the bridge. Actually at my request to the owner, we have double redundancy onboard for just about everything including safety equipment. It was my attention to these details, according to the officer, that kept him from giving me any paperwork. I even have my "wasted management plan" that he told me no private vessels he'e ever seen had it properly constucted, sighed, dated and posted.

Duane G Winter
1984 BW Sport 15 Center Console

lrak
#18 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/10 - 6:18 PM

It sounds like you just encountered an aggressive enforcer who didn't know the rules he was enforcing. Don't worry about it. Carry the old flares. If it ever happens again, call the commander and request a call back. Then request additional officer training.

About 17 years ago I was once screamed at by some moron in the coast guard auxiliary during some event on the Hudson River for having the wrong type of PFDs. We only had three life jackets but all four passengers were sitting on type IV PFD cushions. At that time those counted if the boat was less than 16' and there were hundreds of boats around to rescue me. I knew the rules and told the guy to report me to the real coast guard and drove off while he continued to berate me. I wish I got his name but at the time ... I was more concerned with my mother lecturing me that I couldn't do that while I drove away. LoL.

Another time I hung around and offered to be a witness for someone who was being harassed by the marine police because his fire extinguisher was loose in a Rubbermaid container and not mounted in its approved bracket. Mine is carried the same way. His boat was a less than 20' totally open boat with an outboard and two six gallon tanks That means the guy didn't legally need a fire extinguisher at all! Like me, he only had an extinguisher for safety and I could hear from 200' away that he was "irresponsible" and should head back to the dock immediately.

Dave Wheeler
#19 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/10 - 6:44 PM

A couple years ago I used some expired flares to destoy a large fire ant hill that I could not get rid of in more traditional ways. It worked so effectively that I would do it again.

JohnnyCW
#20 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/10 - 11:00 PM

It doesnt seem too unusual to happen upon USCG Aux and even some law enforcement that sometimes dont get the laws quit right. If its a LEO, your only reasonable option is to just submit to their order or else you could be in for a long ruined day. Like they say, pick your battles wisely.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 12:06 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Binks22
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,098
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,491,477 unique visits